X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New winter shoes for my X

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New winter shoes for my X

We got our first noticable snow here in southern ohio yesterday (less then an inch). Was the first time I had the X out in snow since purchasing it. I was unpleasantly surprised at the way the car handled in the snow, specifically stopping. Checking the tires i have on the car I think they are/were probably 100% of the problem. They are Pirelli PZero Rosso's which are pretty much straight summer tires. I picked up a set of winter tires and wheels on tire rack. Will post pictures when I receive them and get them on the car. I got General Altimax Arctic tires with 17" Rial Como wheels. Wheels look like this http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...atin+Sil+Paint

edit: added the pictures

[IMG]local://upfiles/4536/2959D5ACA9F84662A5FA5201C3CB5655.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4536/0E902EBC389C444B9FC32AFE415071D4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Default RE: New winter shoes for my X

I actually didn't get the 16s and stayed with 17's. If i like the way they look i may eventually use them as my summer wheels and my stockers as winter wheels. I just assumed that the tires on the car were all season tires. I never looked them up after purchasing the car. My own fault. I figured all seasons and awd and i would be ok. That might have been the case if i had all seasons.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got my winter tyres just a few days ago there brillant!!!

Old 12-07-2008, 11:32 PM

ORIGINAL: bojangles

NO NO ... how old are you? hmmm not sure if that matters but if you are a teenager I might be inclined to teach you nicely.... hahaha..

THERE IS NO SUCH THING as an ALL season tire that works on the snow.
All season works for florida, texas, arizona... for minivans and stuff.

If you are in ohio.. you must have seen snow before? what do you think snow tires are made for? the north pole?

anyway.. thanks for telling us how dangerous summer tires are in the snow. tell us more about your car..
Geez didnt expect to get ripped for thinking all season tires would work in the snow. They seemed to work decently on every other car i have owned and for the 80% of the people in Ohio or any other state where it snows that run all season tires all year round. And no i am not a teenager thank you very much. My winter car for the last 8 years has been an awd suv. So switching back to a sedan is obviously a little different.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:56 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I've been running all seasons here in Nebraska on the Jag and my front wheel drive cars for many years and have no problems getting around in the winter. All you have to do is use your head while driving after all we're not racing. Last year we have packed snow and glare ice on almost every side street in town and the Jag had no problems getting started or stopping. I just don't drive like a maniac, slowing down some and watching what's going ahead and around me so I don't get suprised by some idiot. I'm 70 years old so I driven a few winters during my life. The last time I had winter specific tires was probably in the 1970's and they were for my '67 Charger which I ran 70 series tire on and they didn't do very good in snow. The wide tread on the front tended to pile the snow up like a plow making it hard for the rears to drive, so I had a set of 78 series mounted that I switched to in winter with studded snow tires for the rear( we could use studs back then from Oct to Mar). Don't need the snow tires anymore because the Charger is stored during the winter.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

The only "all-season" tire I have used in the snow with great success is the Conti Extreme contact. And really, it looks like a snow tire anyway. This is on my Saab 9-3t, which if it is really snowy or icy, I park it and either drive the Jag with dedicated snow/ice tires, or the Jeep ZJwith General Grabber AT II's.

Green Machine certainly can talk from experience

Old 12-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got Kumho Ectas ASX tires on mine. All season. They've worked great in the snow. We had a few inches two weeks ago and I took in into some unplowed areas and it cut through it like butter.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:01 PM

Of course actual snow tires are going to be better in snow than any other tire. I don't think that's what everybody is saying. All season are supposed to be effective in dry-wet-snow (up to an inch). Not everybody wants to buy new rims and snow tires for the season. There's no reason AWD and all-season tires shouldn't get you through, up, down and around anything winter throws at you. Otherwise it's a person's driving habits that suck.
Just my 2-Cents.

grrrrrrrrr.... sure all seasons are better than summer tires.. but they are still terrible in the snow compared to snow tires.

Good enough to get you around a flat residential street and driving prudently does not help when you need to brake/steer hard and suddenly.

An SUV with all seasons is close to the Bottom of the performance comparison list. I dont think you can qualify the tires if you are not including appropriate tires in your comparison.
If you dared to use winter tires.. you would never use all seasons again. THEY are horrible in comparison to snow tires.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:20 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

That's exactly what I'm saying. If you're a good driver and got your head on straight, you adjust your driving to the conditions. I got around fine last winter on the original Conti's that had 50000 plus miles on them, no spinning when starting up and no sliding when stopping.We sure get more than an inch of snow here in Nebraska and for those of you who think the our terrain is flat, you've never left I-80. It would be nice if everyone had the money to have mounted sets of tires for each condition but many of us don't. Also many of us don't have other vehicles to bail us out when the conditions bet bad. Our X-type is a daily driver and at this time our only transportation and it does just fine no matter what the conditions. This winter we will have the benefit of new all season tires and I don't expect to have any problems getting around. Of course I know the Jag has it's limitations (for 1 it's quite low to the ground) so extremely deep snow is a problem. But it's not a truck and I don't plan on using it as a snowplow, we have city crews that do that for us.

ORIGINAL: jjones91

Of course actual snow tires are going to be better in snow than any other tire. I don't think that's what everybody is saying. All season are supposed to be effective in dry-wet-snow (up to an inch). Not everybody wants to buy new rims and snow tires for the season. There's no reason AWD and all-season tires shouldn't get you through, up, down and around anything winter throws at you. Otherwise it's a person's driving habits that suck.
Just my 2-Cents.

grrrrrrrrr.... sure all seasons are better than summer tires.. but they are still terrible in the snow compared to snow tires.

Good enough to get you around a flat residential street and driving prudently does not help when you need to brake/steer hard and suddenly.

An SUV with all seasons is close to the Bottom of the performance comparison list. I dont think you can qualify the tires if you are not including appropriate tires in your comparison.
If you dared to use winter tires.. you would never use all seasons again. THEY are horrible in comparison to snow tires.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Not everyone lives in Canada Bruce.

I am a proponent of snow tires and always have a dedicated winter set (due to growing up near Lake Erie). That being said, even here in Pittsburgh, whichdoes not have a flat stretch of more than 10 feet and we get lake effect snow for 6 months of the year, a good set of all seasons and AWD are plenty good for 99.9% of the drivers 99.9% of the time.

Perhaps if they experience the winters up in the hinterlands, then then would have different opinions. But I can't argue with them that they are making a HUGE mistake, because they are not.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:16 AM

Let's move on, you have downs.

The guy was in Ohio.. they get snow.. and if you want to drive on tires for 99% of the time you could get bicycle tires.. they would work for 99% of the time..

Old 12-27-2008, 03:15 PM

Finally got around to adding the pictures. Figured its 66 out today might as well snap a few quick shots. So far no complaints with the new tires and i like the look of the new wheels

Old 12-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

( I know McJaguar thinks I am socially irresponsible for typing dumb ***, and he keeps a secret list in case I get elected to govermnent)
woops!
I almost missed this one! Thanks for pointing it out to me!

My $.02 about tires:
I just bought new AllSeasons as well. I could not rationalize the space in the garage to store a set of tires all year.... nor could I imagine a situation where I'd need Snow tires, without first having made a LOT of bad decisions to get myself into that situation.
We got 14" of new snow fall over the last 36 hours here. That's on top of already 6-8" that were on the ground. And since I've installed the new all-season tires (and had the car aligned) I have not had a problem one with getting around in the X-Type.
Might I someday be in a situation where I could not avoid something that I could have with Snow Tires? It's certainly possible...
But I find it ironic that the guy who told us (with the fervor of an Evangelist ) that there was no point in using slotted rotors and ceramic brakes, because the benefit they offered would not be needed 99% of the time, is now telling us that we should buy tires that will work MORE than that 99% of the time. So I'm not sure if Bo is buying based on the 99% or the 1%..... ?? Or maybe it's both?

Old 12-27-2008, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  6.3 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  6.4 KBName:  T15ESSST101-1.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  9.9 KBName:  tshirt03-2.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  6.0 KB

Snow tyres ...Again![&:][&:][&:]....lol

No offence guys to anyone that uses them, just my opinion. I've been driving over25 years and seen some of the worst winters that the Uk has to offer with snow and ice. Never in all my years have I ever had a dedicated set of rims and snow tyres for these conditions. Good driving habits, common sense, driver awareness and even a little skill sometimes has always been wayyyy more than enough to get me about.
A set of good quality All season tyres with good tread depth should suffice for anyone with the above, unless you live in SERIOUS winter conditions for like 6 months or the year or more.

Jim