X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the X-Type, looking for some advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the X-Type, looking for some advice

Sorry guys, but I can't seem to find answers to my questions by searching.

Just picked up a 2002 X-Type 3.0, and so far I have been very happy with the car. However, it is a little worn around the edges, and there are some things I would like to update.

It REALLY needs a new steering wheel. The one I have is worn considerably, and I would LOVE to have one of the ones that have the wood at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions.

Also, there HAS to be a decent aftermarket, or maybe oven OEM upgrade to the head unit. I have seen pics of consoles that included a nav system, and presumably, a cd player. Can anyone clue me in as to where I can get this stuff?

Old 02-07-2011, 05:07 PM
Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

When I had my X, I was always looking for a woodgrain wheel. They pop up from time to time on ebay for fair prices, so keep an eye out. The cars themselves have been out for almost a decade now, so there should be a decent number of them appearing in junk yards across the country.. you may get lucky with a phone call or google search.

As far as the headunit, does yours have the cassette deck or single disc cd player? If it is a cassette deck I would definitely replace it, but the oem cd players really don't sound all that bad. Many people have retrofitted aftermarket single DIN setups with a black plastic bezel/filler plate, but they ruin the smooth lines of the console. :/

Old 02-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

lhiannon, as for the steering wheel, like was mentioned, keep an eye on e-bay. never know what you might find there. The next places I would tell you to look are http://www.waltandverns.com and then http://www.brandywine.com. Both are wrecking yards. They can get you just about any part you want/need. Can't garantee the price they may want, but you can get it through them.

As for your head unit that you desire. 2 things come to mind. First, does your factory radio have the control built into the radio or are they controlled via a separate panel? If they are built into the radio, short of going with another factory unit, you are limited in what you can do.

The second tidbit of information you need to be aware of is if you can go aftermarket, getting a mounting kit to mount the aftermarket radio is going to be difficult. There is only 1 manufacturer that makes a kit for the X-Type. I don't recall who makes it, but it is going to be a little bit pricey. I'm sure someone else will be able to pipe in as to the manufacturer of the kit. The nice thing is the kit is designed around a double DIN radio, so, your options are pretty wide open.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:43 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was just on E-Bay last night and I found a steering wheel kit to put the wood onto the steering wheel. Looked like a nice kit, but i don't remember what the price was.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:29 PM

Thanks guys. As far as the radio goes, it is the one with just the tape deck, which is driving me bonkers. Ideally, there would be a usb interface, as that is the height of ease of use. I guess my next question would be, is there anyone you know of, or anyplace you know of that is selling later models with the Nav or at least the CD player?

One more thing, my drivers seat will not operate and continues break fuses, and I have no knowledge of anything Jag, so I was hoping that maybe you guys could help me out.

Last edited by Lhiannon; 02-07-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lhiannon,

I literally just replaced my head unit in the last couple of days on my own 2002 X. Mine was also a tape deck, at first I just bought a tape converter for my MP3, but I wanted to go legit, so I will let you know what my set up is and I will post some pictures tomorrow for you. Took me roughly 2 days because it is the FIRST head unit I have ever replaced haha.... Ok, so I bought a Kenwood KVT 514 for the head unit. You should start googling now, because they are now discontinued and I bought the last one at Fry's, it was the floor model so it was discounted twice ... You will need to get a Metra Electronics 70-9500 for the wiring harness adapter for super easy hook up to the head unit, this was the model for the Kenwood I mentioned above, so I do not know if it will work for just anything. Then I got a Metra Electronics 99-9501G, it comes with both a double din and single din set up for your head unit face for your new head unit (at least mine). My stereo is up and running and it is sooo amazing to hear. It has USB in the back, nav ready, back up camera ready, sat radio ready, bunch of other goodies. Also, you will need to get an adapter for your antenna wire hook up in the back of the unit unless you are buying a new antenna. The old one is connected to the rear window defroster lines and can have bad reception if you turn it on, but thats only if the the line or lines are broke as far as I know. I bought the Metra Electronic gear at onlinecarstereo.com and the antenna adapter (Metra 40-EU10 VW/BMW antenna adapter, I think, it should also say something like Most European with the "VW/BMW" title) at Fry's. Also the wiring harness and the head unit wires matched up exactly as far as color/function, so the wiring was super easy!! But if all else fails, go to Fry's and ask them for the din kit, wiring harness and antenna adapter, they told me which ones were made for the XType and ask them to write down the part numbers for you to google to order because the FRY's I went to didnt have the din kit or the wiring harness... Hope this helps you out man, good luck with your after market audio bro!

Old 02-10-2011, 08:37 PM

As far as your seat, it sounds like a short somewhere, like its grounding out or something. So check the wiring to the controls if you can manage, I havent personally had problems with my seats just yet so I have never tried to check the wiring. But thats where I would start. Or you can probably unbolt the seat maybe to kind of lift one side for a better view, or use a mirror and a flashlight to look under the seat, again, just some troubleshooting suggestions that I would personally try out... maybe not the unbolting part unless its a last resort, sounds like a pain haha... good luck with that dude, Thermo could more than likely help you out, a genious that one is...

Old 02-10-2011, 09:44 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Lhiannon, when you say that it is blowing fuses, can you relate it to when you push a certain button? That would help narrow down where the problem is. What I would tell you to do is to replace the bad fuse and then use the buttons one at a time to see which one causes the fuse to blow. Once we figure out which one causes the fuse to blow, that will eliminate a lot of possible wiring.

If you need more assistance with this, let me know.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:04 PM

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...p?albumid=2236

Sorry for the delay Lhiannon, but here are the pics for the aftermarket stereo...

The following users liked this post:
Mephiston2k (02-14-2011)
Old 02-14-2011, 02:09 PM

Awesome! Thanks for the responses guys!

Lilblue, that looks outstanding. I think that I am going to go run that stuff down right away. Thank you very much for sharing.

Thermo, I have not had a chance to test it as you suggested yet, but that does make sense. When it gets a little warmer or at lteast a little less wet here, I'll have a look at that. Any of you guys in central Ohio?

So, back onto one of my origianl questions re: my steering wheel. I get this impression like it was supposed to be thicker than it is, and maybe one of the previous owners peeled something off of it? The lines where the airbag cover meet the rest of the steering wheel do not line up at all, like the airbag cover is too big or something. Anyone else see anything like this?

Old 02-14-2011, 02:32 PM

Some pics of the steering wheel. Could it be that the airbag cover was replaced? Maybe the airbag has gone off before? Of note is that it isn't loose on there at all, it is well secured on the face of the airbag.

Name:  IMG_20110214_152251.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  42.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20110214_152155.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  84.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20110214_152145.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  67.2 KB

Name:  IMG_20110214_152135.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  53.3 KB

Old 02-14-2011, 07:58 PM

Lhiannon... I too have an '02 X and my leather is not quite as worn but is worn a bit.

Try this link for the "wood look" covers someone else mentioned above.

Also my air bag cover looks exactly the same and it has not been activated

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jagua...ht_2046wt_1087

Check the video on the ebay page