X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie to forum- but not to my x-type... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie to forum- but not to my x-type... HELP!

Alright guys- quick background on me. I have 2 X-Types (02 & 04 1/2) and a 09 XF. I worked @ jaguar dealer here for 3 years but quit before I became a life-er. Im not a mechanic nor mechanically inclined but am very familiar with X's (having 2 personally and seeing whats in the shop and for what).

Im havin a problem that might be easy for somone else to diagnose, but not me. My 04 starts and runs great but here are my symptoms: If you push really hard on the gas it starts going, but accelleration is slow. The RPM's in forward gears are pretty low. But, in rear it drives fine. Something clogged? Maybe an easy fix? It was a CPO but warranty ran out of time- I only have 53,000 miles... Ironically enough, my 02 tranny went out @ 55K... I should have known but quality was vast improved in the later years so I shouldn't have let down my guard... NO check engine lights. At all. Maybe a cat converter? My other x just would stroll into neutral after downshift of 2nd gear... Not the same here at all..

Old 03-14-2011, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Check for vacuum leaks would be my first thing, second have you run some injector cleaner through the system? That would be what I try first in any case.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:08 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Are you saying that it's only a problem if you floor it, but runs normally if you only use part throttle? Is the engine racing but car not moving, or engine is sluggish? Please explain exactly how you can make it happen. Try to tell us what the RPM, MPH, and throttle position is for each step and how the car responds to different types of driving.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:16 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i'm sure the tranny is fine. the 2002's and 2003's were the only auto tranny failures I've heard of.
Dirty MAF sensor? Clogged airbox... Bad sparkplugs... Bad Fuel Pump... we need more details to work with.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Fuel filter since it idles fine and only has restriction when you floor it.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:52 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Does the Check Engine Light come on? Have you scanned the ECM for codes?

Old 03-15-2011, 04:27 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

X2 sidewalkman fuel filter or clogged cats

Old 03-15-2011, 10:53 PM

Sluggishness could absolutely be trans related. The torque converter allows the trans to slip so the engine can get into its power band and then locks for better mileage and full torque. If the torque converter is locked up permanently it will feel like it's starting out in 2nd or 3rd gear all the time.

That's why we need more info. There are too many things and not enough to go on.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off- thanks everone for gettin back to me so quick, I appreciate it. Ill address everyone individually-

sidewalkman (both replies): although it didnt help, I did do 2 bottles of techron fuel cleaner ($11/ bottle) just incase. i can't be positive on the vac leaks but im pretty sure everything is sealed and no cracked tubes etc. I was also thinking fuel filter, but it doesnt do it at idel, rev or reverse.. so i knocked that off my list unless im wrong (happens often...)

C5pilot: it happens only in forward gears. if i rev in park its normal, and I can drive like a bat out of h3ll in reverse. Does it constantly in forward only. Anyway to check the torque conveter?? I tried different way to move it- different speeds and it always happens- feels like its being held back.

j_bond: plugs and wires @ 48K just to do it- ditn't need to be done but the car sits alot so I decided preventative maintaince is best air filter was done @ oil change @ 51K. Yeah my 02's tranny has always been funny, even after replacement.

sidewalkman: it happens all the time in forward gears. I just have to floor it to get it going- but it seems shift okay.

JaguarKnight: No check engine lights and I had a friend come over with a scanner... nothing stored

uropnm6: I think you and piolet are right about the converter... but wouldn't the fuel filter affect it in reverse or park?

Thanks guys for your help! keep it comin!... please... haha... If not I have to tow it to jag about an hour away as the places around where its parked wont even touch it... I was out visiting a family friend in farm country when it happened and its just sitting there.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:12 PM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

It sounds like the trans is slipping in first gear. If you had a fuel issue or a cat issue it would happen in reverse it would have the same load on the engine. Dose it bang in when it goes after revving it or does it slowly go and when it is going run normaly?

Old 03-16-2011, 09:33 PM

Well, a locked up torque converter won't keep the car from moving, it will just make it sluggish trying to pick up speed. A lot of people might not even think it's a problem, they would just think the car isn't as "peppy" as it used to be.

But you still haven't said whether the engine is revving too much. Is the engine revving high trying to move the car or low revs making it difficult to pickup speed?