X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 08:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newbie Questions

Hello all, I am new to the jaguar and have a few questions.

Well, I bought an 03 x-type 2.5 119k miles with a busted oil pan because I have mechanical experience and figured why not. So after dropping the pan and replacing it the car started up. The problem is that now I her a sound from the block that sounds like a spun bearing at startup and at low speeds along with a flickering oil light but other than that the car drives great.
So I am trying to decide whether to rebuild the block or just get a motor from the salvage/junk yard and drop in, but I'm looking for the most cost effective way. I have been searching the forum and I have a few questions regarding this project.

1st- Is it possible to replace the bearings from the oil pan without taking out the engine on this 2.5 motor?

2nd- If I do have to remove the engine can it be done from the top or is it true that it can only be removed from the bottom? Because it would make the job so much harder for me.

3rd- I have one key. The key that flips out from the alarm and the buttons aren't working so I replaced the battery and tried the programming instructions but nothing. After the on/off 4 times I do get the chime but when I take out the key and press the button I get nothing. I also sprayed some WD40 in the ignition because it doesn't look like the flap totally closes. It looks like its still about 1/3 open but I can't get it to close anymore. How do I know if the car thinks the key is still in? Do these go bad or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks in advance to any help I can get.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:15 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Street, welcome ot the Forums. I think you will find a lot of useful information here. But, we also do ask that you intorduce yoruself in the New Member section. Helps us get to know you and it will introduce you to some of the people in the group.

As for your questions.

1) Unfortunately, the crank has to be removed from the car to replace the bearings. WHile I am sure it is possible to do without removing the block from the car, you are making things a lot more difficult than what it needs to be. I don't know the details about doing things that way, but what I know of the motor, that is the hard way.

2) Yes, the motor is only capable of being removed from the bottom of the car. In your case, if you have access to a cherry picker (hence why you are wanting to pull it out the top), you can do things kinda in a reverse order. What you can do is to use the cherry picker to take the weight of the engine, unbolt it from the car, rest it on the floor (properly supported), then you can move the cherry picker over to the front bumper and lift the body of the car up to give you clearance to slide the motor out from underneath.

3) If the car thinks the key is still in the ignition, it will chime at you, wanting you to remove the key. As long as the car is not chiming, then the switch is not made up. As for getting the keyfob to work, it may be that the keyfob you have is dead. Normally if you install a new battery and the keyfob will still not program (yet the car goes into the programming mode), then that pretty much leads to a bad keyfob. UNfortunately, this is going to be a fairly expensive replacement because you will need to either find a locksmith that has the special computer to access the computer in the car or you will need to go to the dealership with a new key blank and keyfob.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:28 AM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

Street,

This thread will give you a good guide to what is involved.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ead-faq-11225/

Good luck.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I guess I'll have to find a Jaguar mechanic in the area and most likely I'll buy a low mileage motor and do a swap.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Ownership, I wish your X will treat you well

The following users liked this post:
Street DBL (07-01-2011)