X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie wife doing the legwork...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 12:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newbie wife doing the legwork...

Just posted an intro in the newbies section, which explains why I'm here doing half of my husband's job.

The basics: 2002 X-Type, 151,000 miles, 5-speed, V6 3.0L, silver with black leather.

I've done some research here already, and have found tons of helpful info, but need a few more specifics for things that weren't answered 100%.

The issues:

--Check engine light is on...previous owner says it's for an oxygen sensor; I think that theory is confirmed by an occasional yellow warning light and the "cruise is not available message" with lugging upon acceleration. This clears up and then it drives fine. Found a post by BuckMR2 which might solve that problem (check for split pipe first, then sensor).

--We only have 1 key (the flip out style), and the remote doesn't work at all. Tried changing the battery, cleaning the connections, etc, and still doesn't work. My husband doesn't see this as an issue, but as a busy mom of 2, I really would like a working remote. From what I've read, I can't do any programming on an eBay purchased remote, because I only have 1 key and no working remote. Dealer, of course quotes prices upwards of $350, and tells me eBay remotes won't work. Does my situation mean I have to go the dealer route? We are over 3 hours from a dealer.

--one outside door handle gets stuck in the "up" position. You have to push it down manually before you close the door, otherwise the door won't latch. We haven't tried WD40 yet, but from what I've read, door handle issues are common. However, the rod/spring/clip posts about handles that don't work at all don't really sound like what we're experiencing. Anyone have a similar handle situation and have luck with WD40?

--A/C...blows cold on the passenger side, but not so much on driver side. Read a post about this that seemed to diagnose it as an air flap mixing issue, but I didn't see a remedy for it?

--My husband would love to lower it a tad, put some tuner car sounding exhaust on it, and add a rear spoiler. If anyone is into that sort of thing, and can point us in that direction, he'd be grateful!

--Gas...does it really need Premium? My husband says yes, but I feel like every car I've owned has had Premium "recommended." Do the fuel company tycoons have a deal with auto manufacturers to say that?

--E brake isn't hooked up. Don't know why, and my husband hasn't even looked at it yet. Any tips before he gets started?

--Missing a lug nut. Suggestions on where to purchase? We already had to replace a headlight bulb, and found it was not an easy thing to locate at an average auto parts store.

I know we'll have lots more questions as we go, and I appreciate any advice and info anyone can share!

Old 07-29-2013, 01:30 PM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

Well first of all welcome to the family. Ok first thing. if you go to an auto parts store they can read your codes for you and let you know what sensor is bad. 2nd key fob. not sure on this one but someone should be able to help out. 3rd it sounds like a bad return spring in the handle. No worries I just might have one for you along with the nut for the wheel. 4th. E brake cables have been known to rust out and over time break. Again I have those as well if you need them. check under the car above the driveshaft to see if the cables are still connected. If so then go to the back wheels and see if they are clipped into the brake. If they are then you could have a busted line inside on the e brake handle. Let us know what you find.
Good luck and again welcome to the family,
The Dr.

The following users liked this post:
Jenandcorey (07-29-2013)
Old 07-29-2013, 10:26 PM

Thanks, Dr! I will forward your advice on to him! I will keep you posted on our discoveries!

Old 07-30-2013, 05:29 AM
Jac
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

New Jaguar Key Remote Keyless Entry Fob New in Bag Bottom Half Only Flip Key | eBay This will work for the remote. There is no need to have 2 keys for this part. This will attach to your original key. They are easy to program.

Jenandcorey (07-30-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jac
New Jaguar Key Remote Keyless Entry Fob New in Bag Bottom Half Only Flip Key | eBay This will work for the remote. There is no need to have 2 keys for this part. This will attach to your original key. They are easy to program.
Really? That would be awesome and worth more than its cost of $25! Do you have a link to instructions?

Old 07-31-2013, 05:34 AM
Jac
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenandcorey
Really? That would be awesome and worth more than its cost of $25! Do you have a link to instructions?
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...rogramming-pdf

jimborino (05-20-2014)
Old 07-31-2013, 07:45 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I got one from someone on ebay located in Delaware for $25. It says needs to be programmed by dealer but you can do it yourself and works fine. Put key in and turn from position 1 to 2. From there turn from pos 2 to pos 3 and back to pos 2 four times quickly. Remove the key and press any button on all remotes that you have.

Last edited by Gman1957; 07-31-2013 at 07:54 AM.
jimborino (05-20-2014)