X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newby to jags

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool newby to jags

alright, I'm new to jags.. bought an 02 x-type 2.5 5spd about a year ago, and have had many issues... mostly just small things. first i had to drill off almost all the lug nuts on all four wheels, they were all siezed up and nothing was touching them (only managed to foul up one lug!). i have been tracing numerous vacume leaks, the most recent was fixed a few days ago. replaced the a/c compressor clutch bearing, and from the looks of the silinoid, will be replacing that soon as well! the battery was bad... replaced that... and then ended up replacing the alternator soon thereafter. just this morning i tried to open the hood, and found the driver's side latch isnt releasing, and that how i managed to find this site, doing a search to see what was on the net for that issue!now to get down to it... been reading through the posts all day, and just wondering what other common issues i have yet to encounter! lol i'm not afraid of working on it myself, everything mentioned earlier was fixed on my own... and the one thread about the changing spark plugs was very insightful and had been wondering if i was going to have to take off the manifold to get to them! so here i am people... break me in, what do i have yet to look forward to? lol

Old 10-25-2009, 02:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Hi chilltj and welcome to the forum
Another common item to fail is the rear wheel speed sensor rings on the outer CV joint.They tend to corrode and fall off especially in colder climates where salt is used on the roads.Jaguar were first alerted to this in the UK in Scotland and then this spread gradually southwards so it may well depend on your location.
On my ex-2002 car the crankcase-manifold breather pipe also failed as oil tends to sit in it...2 min job to fix and new pipes are much sturdier and only £5 from the dealer who reckons they sell lots of.
Suspension-wise items that wear are the rear ARB bushes (mine went at around 63k) (which can be rotated 180 degrees in a lot of cases as they wear on the lower part), drop links on the front (mine went at 75k) and rear lower control arm bushes (63k on mine if I remember)
Some have also had issues with door locks in particular a plastic clip inside.

Last edited by BuckMR2; 10-25-2009 at 02:56 AM.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:17 AM

thanks for the heads up! I already replaced the breather tube... used a 5/8" I/D fuel hose and re-used the fittings.... and i have noticed the passenger side door "sticking" when people try to get out... as for location, the car spent most of its history in the New England area of the U.S. and now I have it in the mid-atlantic region, but I work out at the coast with lots of salt air! The car is a great ride, but hate the constant jigsaw puzzle riddles it gets! lol

Old 10-25-2009, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 391 Likes on 288 Posts

read my thread (my x-type projects and installs) because your transfer case is the most problematic on these cars i have a 2002 2.5 5 speed ...nock on wood i havent run into any serious issues ...i have a write up on the transfer case..and transmision it should only cost about $20 to do the job ...the trick is the redline gear oil ...i use it in my mazda rx7 turbo 387 hp 425 fpt and i beet on it hard ....i still have the stock transfer case...i dont drive my jag hard ....its just for cruising

Old 10-25-2009, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi chilltj

Welcome the forum! Meet Dennis Black....he could turn out to be your best friend!

Old 10-25-2009, 07:23 PM

will def check it out! preventative maintenance is better than a repair! and just out of curiosity, is everyone else's grill seem a bit flimsy? mine isnt rattling or anything... and seems to be mounted right.... but really seems flimsy to me. is it just me?

Old 10-25-2009, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Hey chilltj, glad to have you aboard. Did you notice the "flimsy" grill when you lifted the bonnet? It is securely fastened but just be gentle with it as it is all plastic.