Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No heat from floor vents

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 01:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No heat from floor vents

Hello all.
Im new to this site as I have just bought a 2005 X-Type 3.0. Car is great with only a few issues. The biggest problem is that when I turn the heater on I only get warm air coming out of the defrost vents nothing out of the floor vents. Matbe a little out of dash vents. Any help with this would be great.
Since im in the Chicago area its pretty cold

The following users liked this post:
ptaboy (02-24-2014)
Old 11-30-2013, 07:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I had a similiar problem..

eventually the "recirc" door on the HVAC system quit moving up and down, and eventually resulted in the recirc door staying closed no matter what the setting. when trying to defrost the windshield, it just fogged up.

turns out that the motors that move the doors into their various positions (Floor/Vents/Defrost/etc) have a little pin that simply fits into a D-Shaped hole in the plastic end of the flapper door. When you want "Defrost" for example, a little motor moves the "recirc" door into the open position, so that you have fresh air coming into the cabin instead of cabin air recirculating about the area (which causes moisture to build up on the windshield).

Eventually the "D-Shaped" shaft of the little motor "twists" in the plastic flapper door, and eventually just "spins" in the plastic causing no movement. In my case, it caused the "recirc" door to not move. In your case, it is causing the Vent/Floor/Defrost door to not move. (I suspect).

The fix was to set the controls to a "home" position (i.e., set the controls to "Floor", which sets the motor to the "Floor" position), then manually moves the flapper door to the "Floor" position. Then remove the motor, coat the "D-Shaft" in Gel-Type Super Glue, and then shove the D-Shaft back into the plastic flapper door. Wait for it to dry, then test.
I think "Most" of the door motors can be removed relatively easy. Do a search for "windshield moisture" on the forum search feature and you might find some info helpful.

Doogie

Old 12-11-2013, 08:23 AM

Thanks Doogie I need to get going on this fix I also believe I saw that you can access the area through the glove box, do you know if this is correct.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:54 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, remove the glove box to get to these motors

Old 01-26-2014, 03:39 PM
Unhappy No heat from floor vents

Ok while monkeying around trying to work on the actuators I now have no heat coming out anywhere. A lot of air blowing just not warm. Before I started got excellent warm airflow although only from defrost vents. So now cold air only from defrost only!!!!

Old 01-26-2014, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimheld1313
while monkeying around trying to work on the actuators
That opens the door to all kinds of possibilities. Did they try to move when pressing the hearer buttons? I assume they're still properly installed.
At this point I would try a hard reset and see if the modules might have to relearn the position of the heating system doors.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:24 AM
Angry No heat from floor vents

I checked two of the motors , the easiest two one for the blend door the other for the recirc door. both seemed good. I did not check the third one which is probably the source of my initial problem, the actuator for the defrost. This actuator is tough to get to. Since all I get is defrost blowing I assume this is where my problem is. when I started I didn't know which actuator was for what function.

My concern is lack of warm air now. Prior I had a lot of warm air just not from where I wanted it.
I plan on disconnecting battery for a reset to see if ill get some warm air, then attach that third actuator.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

The attached doc will show you which actuator does what. The full document is available here Workshop Manual in PDF. (thanks to LCGI). This was found in the X Type 'HOW TO' " quick links " found in the stickies at the top of this forums main page. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-14/x-type-how-quick-links-model-specs-info-accessories-5915/ .
This is a great source of information. When you get your problem under control, spend some time there.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
XType_heater actuators.pdf (168.0 KB, 453 views)
The following users liked this post:
ptaboy (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 09:32 AM

Ok finally got around to getting to the defrost actuator. when I removed actuator that tried to see what was going on, it seems like the female sleeve that the actuator goes into may be or probably is broken off from flapper door. When I tried to rotate the sleeve insert in fell into the housing. So how difficult is it to repair / replace flapper door. Im assuming now is when dash need to be removed.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:30 PM
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Jim, it looks like you joined our misery club too. we were just talking about this last week.
See link below....
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...d-door-111458/

Tom