X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The breather hose filter on top of my intake plenum just broke!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 06:14 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Default The breather hose filter on top of my intake plenum just broke!!

As I was trying to repair my coolant tank I hit the breather hose on top of the intake plenum (the hose that goes to the brake booster) and the filter in the middle broke and now the breather hose isn't connected!!! Errrrhh!!! Where can I find this piece!!! It's one thing after another!

Old 02-23-2014, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

You mean the brake booster vacuum hose? Like this? http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...2B50QIN0L.jpg? If so, you can do a search and get them from a lot of sources for not that much money.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:55 PM

Yea I wrote that before I realized you had to buy a whole new hose. Found one for $40 on ebay, so am going to get that now. Was freaking trying to rig up a fix for the coolant tank and accidentally hit the breather hose with a hammer a little bit and it snapped off at the filter in the middle. Did a search and it sounds like that's another common part to break on these cars... Dang it, I should've just waited a few more days for the new tank. Nothing I can do about it now. Sealed it up with a bunch of tape for the time being considering it will probably be a week before I get the new hose. Bummer.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:17 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

This is a good lesson about what happens when you try to cut corners.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:48 PM

I know, I only had to wait a couple more days and I would've replaced the tank without a problem, but stupid me is like hammering a screwdriver into the broken tank... while it's still in the car, and I hit and break a $100 special order hose. So now I the old tank is hillbilly rigged up AND the breather hose is hillbilly rigged up. The hose is going to take like a week to get here so I have no other option really. Luckily I only have to drive about 10 minutes a day so I will keep an eye on it and hopefully get it all back together soon.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

A word of caution. When you do replace the brake booster hose, at the intake, don't just yank it out. There is actually a collar that you push down on while pulling up to disengage it. Otherwise, you'll need another part...

Old 02-23-2014, 11:07 PM

Yea thanks but I figured that out eventually when I tried to sea foam my car... Couldn't figure it out on my own but found the trick on the forum. I can't believe I broke another part. I really should not have messed with the car today. Breaking another part was the last thing I was expecting when I was trying to do a temporary "fix" to my broken coolant tank. Now that I think about it, I probably should have just drilled in a new brass nipple to the coolant tank! This whole thing would've been done this weekend a lot cheaper and the brake booster hose wouldn't have been damaged! Sometimes I think throwing money at a problem is the best answer when a little ingenuity might go a long way. Like the brake hose for example... I already came up with like a $5 fix that would've been just fine for a long time with 2 clamps and a short piece of larger hose! But instead what do I do? I freak out and find the replacement part as quick as possible. I guess my car is still new enough to me that I just wanted to have all original parts under the hood but when things break like this so easy, it's hard not to repair them yourself with cheap fixes.

The following users liked this post:
specrocz (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 12:14 AM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

No, that's how you are supposed to fix it, the right way the first time. Its the cheap fix that got you into trouble.

Last edited by Justink201; 02-24-2014 at 09:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ptaboy (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

That thing in the middle of the hose is not a filter, it is a valve. So, if you were thinking of just splicing in some hose in there and bypassing it, that wouldn't have worked.

If you paid a $100 for that part you could have gotten a lot cheaper. I saw it for as low as $65. Could have used that money to have it overnighted to you. Oh well, too late now. One of those things you'll have to use as a learning lesson. At least once you get the parts you will be back on the road quickly.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:22 AM

Oh ok, because I was seriously considering just fitting a hose in place of the valve. Glad to know that wouldn't have worked... Well I found the part for a low $40 actually on ebay, so that is pretty good considering a lot of places wanted $80. For $40 I am just kicking myself for such a dumbass move *** working on my car in a bad mood with a hammer on Sunday afternoon to temporarily fix something that should have waited. I'm just freaking stressed out. This last week has seriously tested my patience. It's really difficult getting around without transportation where I live. Hopefully in a day or two I will have it back up and running though and then put that booster hose in when that gets here.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:11 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Brake booster vacuum line check valve.

That thingy in the middle of the brake booster vacuum line is a check valve that maintains vacuum in the booster for braking even if vacuum drops or the engine quits. Mine was damaged on the backside of the check valve where you couldn't see it but if you listened for the vacuum leak and were touching around the check valve you could hear the hissing change with touch. I assumed it was my only vacuum leak causing the "limp" mode until I observed the two IAC (or IMT) units on the upper left of the intake hissing along to the same tune. I went to the junkyard for the replacement on the booster line and got some new "O" rings for the IAC seals. I pulled a check valve from a Mercedes Benz or Saab and spliced it in without incident for about $2. The "O" rings cost $5.80 each with $8 shipping from Parts Geek.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:55 PM

Good thinking! I didn't know what it was for at first, I assumed it was some kind of filter to catch the oil in the air because mine had a couple drops of oil drip out of it. I didn't think about pulling one from another type of car at a junk yard... Good thinking. Knowing me I probably cracked it originally when I was yanking on it when I first got my car to put Sea Foam in. At the time I didn't realize how brittle Jaguar plastic is and I also didn't know how the booster hose detached til I gave up fiddling with it and found the answer on here. Yesterday I barely tapped it with the hammer, trying to hit the end of a screwdriver. I looked down and the thing was totally broken off, much like the coolant tank broke that I was attempting to mend. Oh well, lessons learned. Engine parts are expensive and sometimes fragile. I also learned the importance of inventive ingenuity when it comes to jaguar maintenance. Never underestimate the power of a roll of duct tape, some super glue, and a fitting from the hardware store.