X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The "no issues" thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 08:05 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Smile The "no issues" thread

I just felt the need to make a post in which I can share my "no problem" today with my X-type. Apart from normal maintenance, I have been driving my X with no issues at all. In fact, I am very much enjoying the car!

Cruising the forum one could get the impression the the X type is a maintenance nightmare. Most of the posting concerns problems, but they all seem to have a simple fix at the end of the day. I don't think the X-type is as bad as the postings would lead one to believe.

I picked up the car as second hand, but all maintenance was done at the dealership and is logged. I had a few minor cosmetic issues that I ironed out, a wonky battery light that turned out to be a bad ground under the battery, and automatic headlights that wouldn't work because the wire was unplugged at the rear-view mirror. I also changed the front lower A arms because the bushing leaked, but that was an easy fix. I changed the oil, spark plugs, and put in a new battery (the first hot day we had killed it). I also changed the headliner and polished the headlights.

Apart from that the car has proven to be a dream. Buying a second had car is sometimes stressful and it can be expected to have some issues, but it has never broken down, leaked, made funny noises or otherwise caused me concern. It runs great, comfortable, handles well, and looks good. I get a lot of respectability and I don't feel ashamed when I show up somewhere driving it.

So all in all, it's a good car and it's turning out to be one of the best I ever owned. All I need to do now is get it away from the SWMBO long enough for me to get a fair share behind the wheel

Old 06-15-2015, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Nice one, we could do with more posts like it
The problem is, as a forum most people come here to check on issues they have and find solutions.

My 2 sons both have X types both of which are currently ( problem free ) and have been for some time, other than regular maintenance.
I appreciate the positive post though.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:30 PM
Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts

Nice post. Mine is a 2002 2.5. I got it three years ago at a used car dealer in Merritt Island Fl. I gave $5000, which may have been a lot, but it had 70k and looked great in black on black. It's never let me down. I've replaced the rotors and pads. The ABS pump was replaced with a rebuilt unit. New battery last year. And an AC compressor. Tnhe motor and drive train is sound and strong. New tires two years ago. I've just ordered a trunk seal. The Florida heat has torn it up.
It's not a fast car, but it's reliable and lovely to drive. And most Americans thing it's a 30k super car!

Old 06-17-2015, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

I actually didn't have any cash trade hands, when I got my 80,000 mile 07 X Type. I just gave a friend who wanted my 114,000 mile 02 Jeep Liberty(I take very good care of my cars, and they are always better than when I get them, when they find new homes) and a ratty old 93 Corvette with 164,000 miles at the beginning of it's Mikestoration.

His wife wanted my Liberty, because it was nicer than her Lexus.(even though my Liberty was a base model sport, she had a full leather interior, and all the electronics from a top of the line Limited I bought at an insurance auction for $600, and sold the drivetrain, wheels, plus the interior of mine, and a beautiful set of wheels and tires for $1200) So I lost it as soon as she saw me drive into the lot. She is still driving it.

I told George, that he didn't have anything I was interested in, on his lot. He threw me the office keys, and him and his wife drove off in my Liberty. Half an hour later he came back with this white Jaguar, and I told him I really needed a 4 wheel drive, and not some fancy car, I would get stuck in the snow with.

He showed me that it was full time AWD, and My Jag and I have been in love ever since. As a matter of fact, she gave birth to a 99 XK8 convertible in January, and we all couldn't be happier. Other than the trans problem I was expecting with the XK8(I only paid $3400 for it, including tax) Things are great and very reliable. They make my Porsche 928S jealous at times, but I think I'm doing pretty good for a 57 year old on permanent disability. All 3 look much better than my wife's 2014 Cherokee, that she bought all by herself, but I won't tell her. So glad you love your X Type....Be cool....Mike

Old 06-21-2015, 06:05 PM

In an odd twist of fate, as soon as I posted this I started feeling poorly myself. While the car is holding together very nicely, I have spent the last week in hospital with complications from injuries I sustained while in the service. I guess karma demands balance, eh?

Old 06-21-2015, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Here's hoping some of your Jags "wellness" rubs off on you real soon.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:18 PM

Thanks, Jim. Dr says it may be a few days more yet, and I might need some parts changed out. My oil is running dirty and they think it's because of some rusty screws. But the good news is that I have a better car than my Dr. He drives a Kia.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:31 AM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

Ozzie: For spare parts, your doc's should consult dr dome!

Every setback is temporary.

Thank-you for your service. :icon_pa triot:

Old 06-25-2015, 10:04 AM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Mutual Feeling Here.

Thanks for the very nice post in this Forum. My X-Type had three previous owners. I have been very blessed given the comments in this Forum and from Ford and Jaguar Executives. The only item - major - that I had replaced was my water pump, which cost $189.00 installed. I still, er, I mean, My Jaguar still gets smiles, positive comments, and looks when we go out for a drive. Thanks, again, for the positive post.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:39 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default The "no issues" thread

Hi all, great thread, nice to hear good reports about our kitty's. Here's my story so far. I have two '05 3.0L x-types, one wagon, one sedan, both auto transmissions.

The wagon is well optioned out, we bought it in December 2013 with 69K miles and now have 85K on her. Have replaced tires, brake pads and the battery. Changed all fluids when we first got her and had an alignment done which has greatly improved tire wear. Switching to decent tires (Michelin) has lowered road noise dramatically. The wagon gets lots of attention from people who say they had no idea Jaguar ever made such a car.

Bought the sedan in July 2015, 59K miles then and now 71K. Drove her all over the desert southwest last summer. This car is basic trim, no dsc. For the winter I bought used wheels and new Blizzaks. What a difference! Car went from scary to fun in the snow. She has needed a bit more tlc than the wagon, brakes, rotors, front and rear control arms (thanks Thermo) and an alignment job. I think the shock mounts are beginning to rattle and the car sits about 1" low on the front end too, not sure why yet.

Couple of things of note - switching to Castrol Edge from Mobil1 cured the small oil pan leak on both cars, and also improved gas mileage by 10-15%. I was surprised but not unhappy!

Best thing I have added to both cars is the GOgroove FlexSmart X2 Bluetooth FM transmitter. Painless way to add Bluetooth phone and music capability to the cars.

Love these cars!!
Eric

Old 06-26-2015, 07:39 AM

Yes, good! All cars will need tires and batteries from time to time, those are "wearable" items and can be expected costs. My Jag is a second owner car and was well taken car of by the PO from day one. That has a lot to with how well a car ages as much as anything else. A car is a machine, neglect the machine and it stops working.

I put a set of Uniroyal Tiger Paws on my Jag and they are turning out to be great tires! I have no complaints with them after two months of all weather driving. But tires are a debatable topic, everybody has their favorites.

Yes, I think it's good that we share when our cars give us reliable service. I am very happy with mine and I always get looks wherever I go. The only chronic issue is getting the car away from the SWMBO long enough for me to take a turn!