Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

octan-boost up

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 10:04 PM
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default octan-boost up

hi guys,

Does anybody use that thing to boost up the octans in a car? I am assuming so, and please tell me if it's worth buying it, and if it's of any danger to the motor? I need some extra opinions from you guys. I already bought it in Wal-Mart and it cost me somewhere around $5 but I will wait for your answer before I use it. Maybe the best thing would be just to return it to Wal-Mart (I was just thinking to shake up my lazy motor because until I found this forum I was using an 87 octan, I just didn't pay attention. Now I am suing a 93 octan and I can't see a big difference).
Thanks,
Tony

Old 12-13-2009, 10:09 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Tony, whether you use 87 octane gas and the octane booster or 91+ octane gas, it is 6 of one, half a dozen of another. The one thing that I will caution you on is that some of the octane boosters don't do what they say (ie, say they will boost premium gas up to 104 octane, if you get say 95, you are doing good, if you start with regular, well......). Personally, just run the premium gas. The manufacturer calibrated the computer for premium, it is expecting premium, so just run it. Yes, there are guys running regular gas in their cars and so far hasn't been any issues. But the timing is significantly backed off to be safe on the engine.

I'm sure there will be others here shortly saying the opposite. Your car. For the $4 difference per fillup, that garantees me a good running engine. That is a small price to pay vice replacing an engine. You take that how you see fit.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:24 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually my Jag Tech that I've known for years..said he's seen issues with plugs fouling and cat problems with using OTC Octane boost additive...

Thermo is right..Just use premium and be happy with that.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:50 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

There is no benefit in using higher octane fuel than that called for by the OEM. It will not make extra power, clean the engine, leap tall buildings etc.etc.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, its pump gas man, the different rating are there to help rpevent , if i dare say it " sponateounous combustion". It just that he higher the octance rating, the higher the activation energy for the combustion reaction in cars, on this basis, different rating are used for different compression ratios to prevent autoignition. Thats why alot of sports car have a preimeuim fuel reqirement, as not to damage the engine by autoignition. and same with our cars, its ussing a different compression ratio the alot of other cars, im asumming. IN my words, leave it out. It won't make a big diff.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:46 AM

thanks guys, octan BS going back to wall mart

Old 12-14-2009, 10:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I only use 93 in my X... It has not seen anything less.. And for my Murano they say 93 should be used for optimum performance, I usually use 89..

Old 12-14-2009, 11:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

0 benefit to an octane booster. Just use 93 and your car should be back to normal soon if it isn't already. The ECU just retards timing if it senses lower octane gas, which gives you less performance.

That said, I did try a fuel system cleaner once, the techron one, and I did notice a difference. I used it once after 65,000 miles so that may be why I actually felt something.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:07 AM

ok . thanks

Old 12-15-2009, 08:23 AM
Banned

Use a can of this in your gas every 5-6000 miles and you will not have any fuel system problems...Recommened by Jaguar.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Colt
.Recommened by Jaguar.
Can you show us your reference for this please? I've never heard anything about this product other than 'snake oil'.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mikey
Can you show us your reference for this please? I've never heard anything about this product other than 'snake oil'.
It's definitely is not Snake oil..but you should google the product and also CALL your local Jag Dealer...

BG 44 K is a product from the US based company BG Products Inc. (www.bgprod.com) According to the article in the Total BMW magazine Jaguar is now using the BG44K additive as part of their regular servicing...

Old 12-15-2009, 02:59 PM

It's definitely is not Snake oil..but you should google the product and also CALL your local Jag Dealer...

BG 44 K is a product from the US based company BG Products Inc. (www.bgprod.com) According to the article in the Total BMW magazine Jaguar is now using the BG44K additive as part of their regular servicing...
I did and I have. They do not use any additives in regular service checks and don't recommend anything even similar to the stuff you're talking about.

Why would a BMW magazine talk about what Jaguar does and why would I put credence in that? Got anything directly from Jaguar instead of third party quotes?

Old 12-15-2009, 03:12 PM
Banned

And since in Canada your dealer don't use it or endorse it, makes it no good?..I have used the product and my dealer uses the product with excellent results...if you are here just to argue, then I have no time or desire to entertain your attitude...If you have anything to contribute productivly, please share.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

We use it regularly in all 3 of our shops. I highly recommend. I even use it in my GMC and Ford. Keeps the pipes clean!

Old 12-15-2009, 08:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Master Deep
The ECU just retards timing if it senses lower octane gas, which gives you less performance.
Whoa, great info! I've been playing around with various octane ratings in my X, and I've noticed that, except in more or less extreme situations (e.g. hard acceleration uphill at <2000 RPM), there's never any pinging no matter what grade I use. On the other hand, there's a distinct decrease in performance with 87 octane. However, I've had more than one person tell me that unless your engine is pinging with the lower octane gas, using higher octane won't make any difference—they say any perceived difference in performance is just your imagination. Now I understand what's really going on! Thanks very much!

Now a related question: Does the retarded timing have an impact only on performance, or could it potentially impact fuel efficiency as well?

Old 12-15-2009, 08:28 PM

And since in Canada your dealer don't use it or endorse it, makes it no good?
Not arguing, just asking for the OEM endorsement you claim this product has. In researching the product on line , I find only negative comments such as 'didn't work', 'useless', 'made no difference' etc. etc. Nothing positive other than the manufacturers' own claims.

Where I happen to live is irrelevant.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by CarLuva

Now a related question: Does the retarded timing have an impact only on performance, or could it potentially impact fuel efficiency as well?
Fuel consumption could potentially increase due to the retarded timing, but only if you're putting your foot in it enough for the computer to start backing off. A conservative driver in a flat area could drive continuously on 87 octane without mileage penalty.

The computer does not sense octane rating directly, only whether the engine is on the verge of pinging.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:38 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

The amount of benefit that you can get from a product such as 44K (or STP, or.....) is greatly affected by how you treat the car. If you keep up on the maintenance, put good quality gas in the car, etc then adding a product like 44K probably will not show any great improvement as most of the stuff that it is designed to remove you have been removing with your normal daily treatment of the car. Now, you go to the local mom and pop store to buy your gas which they are getting from some no name company, you don't keep up on the fuel filter changes, run lower grade gas (high grade gases run a little hotter and therefore don't tend to carbon up as much), etc, then using a product like 44K should have a significant effect on the car. Now, am I talking about taking the car from 15 mpg to 30 mpg. No. But, you should see 1-2 mpg difference and a slightly smoother running engine. With a really clean/well maintained engine, the increase will be minimal and will be attributed to driving style.

The amount of improvement can also be related to the last time you did a treatment of the fuel system. The longer you have gone, the more likely you are to see some benefit. Doing it every 5K miles, probably overkill for most (except for those using the cheapie gas). I would say if you did something like this every 10-15K miles, it would be more than adequate and keep the car from any degradation in performance. Do I have any scientific proof to back up my points, nothing but what I have found that works for my vehicles. But, atleast I am not promoting my product and trying to get you to buy more and more of it.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mikey
Not arguing,
By this alone proves otherwise

In researching the product on line , I find only negative comments such as 'didn't work', 'useless', 'made no difference' etc. etc. Nothing positive other than the manufacturers' own claims.
And you looked where? You better go back and try again, this time look at all the evidence, instead of what suits your personal agenda....you have got to be frost bit between your ears if you expect anyone to believe that is all you were able to find.

Where I happen to live is irrelevant.
Oh it is quite relevant...your narrow minded attitude proves it is characteristic of a cynic distrusting or disparaging the good intentions and information of others, typical.

Again, I am wasting my time on you...This conversation is over..any further comments from you will only demonstrate your own self indulgence.