X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is OEM jack for my car will be enough to lift whole rear end of the car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 01:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default is OEM jack for my car will be enough to lift whole rear end of the car?

i am trying put the jack(the one that came with car) on the jackpoint (which is located behind the trunk in the CENTER underneath the car), so i can raise whole rear end (including both rear tires)

so my question is one OEM jaguar jack will be enought or what?
thanks

Old 07-16-2010, 02:12 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Nope, it might be time to invest in a floor jack. Stay away from $4o trolley jacks as they are unsafe as hell. I've had good luck bang for buck with an aluminum racing jack from Harbor Freight. Costs about $79.99 with a coupon or when it is on sale. Nice and lightweight, small enought to get in tight places but big enough you don't have to be under the car to lift it. One downside is that max hight is about 18 inches. For $100 you should be able to get it and a set of jack stands.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Reminder: also use jack stands when the car is in the air. No exceptions!!!

Old 07-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

The jack that comes with the car is intended to support one corner of the vehicle long enough to change out a flat tire on the side of the road. Performing regular (or irregular!) maintenance on the vehicle using only this jack is certainly a death wish!

As others have said, buy a quality floor jack (Harbor Freight Tools is a great place to go) and some sturdy jack stands to hold the car up in the air. I go one step further than that and use 4x4 cribbing when I know I will have half or more of my body under there!

Old 07-17-2010, 05:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Don't trust is as far as... well don't trust it at all

I made the mistake of doing a brake job with the jack, and no jack stands. Why? Don't ask, but the important part of the tale here is that little F&%KER collapsed while i was trying to put the wheel back on it. luckily the wheel came out inharmed, and the brake didn't have any damage either. I did have to suffer the humiliation of having my car sitting on the rotor until my wife came home and i used hers. What a POS!!!

Old 07-17-2010, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I have a Craftsman SUV size floor jack. Two actually. Been using them for years, give a nice 24" lift, however sometimes it's a little too tall to fit under solid jack points on cars. I hate jacking up on the pinch welds, even with the adapters.

I have a smaller Torin floor jack that's seen a decade of abuse and works good for the X. As was mentioned, the jack that comes with the car is for emergency spare tire changes, nothing more. Don't go cheap here, spend some decent money on a quality tool and stands, for safety's sake. Then do your work.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yep that's what i figured,

going home depot or lowe's on monday, and get one floor jack and two jack stands,

quick question: as i was lookin at the owner's mannual they only give you jack points side of the car, i want to work on brakes, do transfer case oil change, differential oil change and do manual transmission oil change done, so where would be the safe location if i am using floor jack in the center underneathe the car,

i already orderd the JTIS mannual on ebay, but i don't if they have any different info about jack points then owner's mannual?

Old 07-18-2010, 07:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The one weak point of Jaguar is the OEM Jack... it is positively dangerous... Nothing wrong with the scissor type design...the same design on Mrs M's MX5 lifts the Jag not a problem.
The Jaguar jack is made from tinfoil coated chocolate. changing a wheel under ideal conditions... ie in my driveway... the thread on the central rod stripped dropping the car several inches luckily it did not collapse all the way.
for home use get yourself a 2 tonne jack and a set of axle stands... for roadside use throw away the oem jaguar jack and buy an aftermarket one.

Mike