X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Orange Light: Seatbelt? Airbag?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 10:28 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Orange Light: Seatbelt? Airbag?

On the wooden panel (above glovebox), what is this light? Is it a passenger sealtbelt indicator? Or is it an Airbag indicator. What it is indicating?

I noticed, yesterday, that it would turn on and off, seemingly arbitrarily, when I had a passenger in the passenger seat. Couldn't figure out what she was doing (if anything) to trigger the light.

Is it supposed to be on (illuminated) all the time? Or off?

Also, I' hearing a random, plastic-sounding rattle from that side of the car. Could there be some loose connection behind that panel, both causing the rattle AND the inconsistent light? How do you remove that wooden panel?

Thanks!

Old 02-25-2013, 12:50 PM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

That light is for the passenger airbag.

See this thread for more info:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...omthing-48611/

The following users liked this post:
rclangelan (02-25-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 07:59 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The light will go on and off depending on a couple things from what I've noticed. If the passenger is lightweight, like a child, the light will be on indicating the airbag is off so as not to hurt the passenger. If the, again lightweight, passenger moves around in the seat (squirms) the light may go on and off. Hope this helps, I usually have to "encourage" the grandkids to sit still or sit in the back.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:04 PM

Well, my fiance is a 99 lb asian girl... basically a kid. Probably why it keeps going on and off.

Thanks!

Old 02-26-2013, 02:33 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Originally Posted by rclangelan
On the wooden panel (above glovebox), what is this light? Is it a passenger sealtbelt indicator? Or is it an Airbag indicator. What it is indicating?

I noticed, yesterday, that it would turn on and off, seemingly arbitrarily, when I had a passenger in the passenger seat. Couldn't figure out what she was doing (if anything) to trigger the light.

Is it supposed to be on (illuminated) all the time? Or off?

Also, I' hearing a random, plastic-sounding rattle from that side of the car. Could there be some loose connection behind that panel, both causing the rattle AND the inconsistent light? How do you remove that wooden panel?

Thanks!
From your description, the Passenger AirBag Warning Light is working normally. It should behave like this:

Orange Light: Seatbelt?  Airbag?-occupant-sensing.jpg

Be extremely careful when working on or around AirBags. The battery must first be disconnected and the backup capacitors depleted or the AirBag could trigger accidentally.

JTIS - X TYPE Passenger Air Bag Module.pdf

If you do decide to dismantle the dash panels to investigate the Passenger Airbag, note the warnings and sequence in the above JTIS procedure.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
rclangelan (02-26-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 09:05 AM

Thanks for that info.

I really want to get into the passenger air vent to see what's rattling around. Can I not just pull the wooden airbag panel (without removing the instrument panel) and then gain access to air vent screws? Or, do I have to remove the wooden panel covering the instrument cluster in order to remove the panel covering the airbag?

Any trick to removing the wooden panels? I see an image of spring loaded clips in the PDF. Do I just pull/pry? How do I avoid breaking the tabs?

Thanks!