X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheats when idling

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheats when idling

2002 X-Type overheats while idling at drive-thru windows. Took to dealer; found nothing. Car ran hot again; this time anti-freeze was leaking out of radiator. Took to another repair shop. They found a busted radiator; replaced. Today, 5 days later, car overheats again while idling. Help! I'm at the end of my rope with this car. Just replaced fuel pump a week before radiator.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:59 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Lady Z, welcome to the forums, I think you will find a lot of useful information here.

As for your problem, odds are your radiator fan control module has bitten the dust. You can prove this by starting the car (preferably with the motor cold), turn the A/C on to the coldest temperature you can and manually set the fan to the fastest speed. This will force the fans to run at full speed. Now, with the engine running and the A/C on max, open the hood and place your head over the front of the engine. Is your hair being blown around like it would be in a strong wind storm? Odds are, it will only be gently blowing. If so, your fan module is failing, it needs to be replaced. If you have a strong breeze, then you are looking at a bad water pump then.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:07 PM

Thanks, Thermo, glad to be a member. I will run that test tomorrow; but, since I had a water pump replaced in February, it's more than likely the fan module. But, Chris, do you think the repair shop should have caught this? (at least one of the two)

Old 12-23-2011, 03:09 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not too sure if jaguar could have seen it. its not one of those things that you can visibly check for. though this is a common problem so its something that they should now about. but do what thermo suggested & that will be a good starting point and we can go from there. jaguar would have checked but it might have failed afterwards though so its hard to say. note that when you had radiator problems it was working extra hard to keep the car cool so probably once the radiator was replaced it was already overworked by then and about to fail shortly. hopefully its your problem and nothing more costly.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:46 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

lady Z, like Funk said, sometimes they fade fast, some times they just kinda drag on and on. Besides, unless you do the test like I said, you wouldn't know if the fans were supposed to be running at full speed or not. Odds are, all that was done to test your car was to go out, cruise around for a few miles and see if the temp held. If it did, then they would have considered the car fixed. You thought it was fixed because the car was never overheating again (until now).

Old 12-23-2011, 12:37 PM

Thnaks, guys; hopefully, it won't be costly. I'm already in deep! Will update once repaired.