X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1647 O2 sensorship problem

Old 07-28-2014, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1647 O2 sensorship problem

Hi, About 2 weeks ago I got that dreaded engine shaped light coming on so took it to "AutoZone" and they said I had a P1647 code which translated to a bad o2 sensor. So, I ordered a Bosch upstream sensor and installed it. I hope I'm right because nobody knew for sure which the right sensor was, but I replaced the grey plug on the passenger side which is attached to a sensor that you can clearly see and reach from the top of the engine back by the firewall and down about 16" or so. The other clip on the driver side was black and I didn't follow it because from what I read here I thought I had the right one. Any rate, I changed it out and still have the code and the little engine light. I had them delete the code and it stayed gone for a day or two and then came back. We deleted it again and in a day or two it also came back. So here I sit wondering what I did wrong???? And of course ready to try whatever you guys tell me I should do next. Thanks

Old 07-28-2014, 08:51 PM
Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

P1647 is ECM HO2 Sensor control malfunction bank 2 upstream, if you changed the one closest to the firewall, unfortunately you changed the wrong one as the firewall side of the engine is bank 1.

Bank 2 is the front bank closest to the radiator. Recommend that you swap the old sensor you took out for the one at the top of the front catalytic converter and you should be back in business. No need to buy another sensor as I think that the used one should fit just fine.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Last edited by ltmax; 07-28-2014 at 08:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jagsterman (07-29-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 07:33 AM

**blush** LOL go figure. Yes I see the O2 sensor connectors by the battery box, so I'll follow the gray one and change it out. Thanks a ton and a bunch. I'll try to photo it because I couldn't find a good photo when trying to find out how to locate it. Oh well, practice makes perfect and I'm getting a lot of practice. Anything else I should know before diving back under the hood? Stay tuned. We'll see how it all comes out.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:13 PM

Sometimes they make the plugs for the sensors just a little bit different so if the rear sensor doesn't plug in exactly right to the front sensor wiring harness, you may need to cut the wires from the used sensor and splice in the plug from the old sensor. There are only 3 colors of wires (one positive, one negative, and two for the heater element) on each sensor and as long as you match the colors it will work just fine. I don't think this is the case for your Jag, but just wanted to let you know to look out for it just in case.

If memory serves me correct, it's pretty easy to get at if you take off the air cleaner box.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:53 PM

Exactly as you instructed. Lot of silliness to remove to get to the sensor, but yes, it was an easy change once I got the bugger broke loose. It certainly did not want to let go. I went to the local "Auto Zone" store and borrowed their sensor removal adapter for my 1/2" drive ratchet and the sensor reluctantly let go of my engine. Thanks so much. I killed the code and drove it about 60 miles and we're still good. We'll see how the morning drive goes, but everything looks like it was a good fix. Maybe just my imagination, but it seems to drive much better in terms of response to the throttle. Thanks for all the help, I do appreciate it.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:17 AM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

If you changed the upstream 02 sensor it is actually a fuel/air ratio sensor that provides feedback to the powertrain module. A new clean sensor provides quicker response back to the module so you probably are seeing better engine performance and may even see a little better fuel mileage to boot!

Old 07-30-2014, 07:29 PM
Thumbs up Thanks Itmax -- Mission Accomplished

We have her o2 sensor condition fixed and so I'll say thanks Itmax and hope maybe you'll help me on my other threads as I seek to repair and fix up my little Jag. I could not have made the repair correctly without your help and I appreciate the time you took to set me straight. Knowing that I could re-use the sensor I had removed in error saved me a lot of dollars and time so I bow to you and your knowledge and very much appreciate your sharing it with me. This thread is done, we won, and it's a happier day!

PS thanks for all those who responded your comments were appreciated.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:17 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagsterman
We have her o2 sensor condition fixed and so I'll say thanks Itmax and hope maybe you'll help me on my other threads as I seek to repair and fix up my little Jag. I could not have made the repair correctly without your help and I appreciate the time you took to set me straight. Knowing that I could re-use the sensor I had removed in error saved me a lot of dollars and time so I bow to you and your knowledge and very much appreciate your sharing it with me. This thread is done, we won, and it's a happier day!

PS thanks for all those who responded your comments were appreciated.
I am ready to do the same repair as I got the same error code. Do you by any chance have pictures of the part location and part itself? Also, did you get the part at Autozone? Do you have the part number and cost?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:06 AM

I bought Denso Upstream O2 sensors off amazon for $63.50 each and Bosch downstream O2 sensors for $39.00 off e-bay. You only need the upstream ones as the downstream sensors only tell the computer if the catalytic converter is getting clogged and don't affect performance. You can get them from the local auto parts store but they will cost about twice as much as they do online.

The upstream sensors are located in the exhaust pipe right above the catalytic converter and downstream sensors screw into the middle of the catalytic converter.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:36 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

For what it is worth, that code generally means that the heating element in the sensor has failed. There is a LOT of science involved in those little sensors!

Old 09-05-2014, 11:39 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

Here are pictures from when I changed the bank 2 (radiator side), upstream O2 sensor on a 2002 2.5L X-Type Sport.

Bank 1 (with the #1 cylinder) is the firewall-side; Bank 2 the radiator-side.

O2 sensors are the same on both sides: upstream (grey plug) and downstream (black plug).

I recall reading that upstream sensors fail first due to an electric resistant heating element that goes bad.

One tip: Remove the small plastic door on the engine-side of the radiator to get a little more room for the socket & extension. The door snaps out and back into place.

Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails P1647 O2 sensorship problem-2013-11-16-09.24.36.jpg   P1647 O2 sensorship problem-2013-11-16-09.41.27.jpg   P1647 O2 sensorship problem-2013-11-16-10.29.29.jpg   P1647 O2 sensorship problem-2013-11-16-10.29.45.jpg   P1647 O2 sensorship problem-2013-11-16-09.23.49.jpg  

Last edited by dwclapp; 09-05-2014 at 11:52 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by dwclapp:
Five Speed (09-07-2014), Jagsterman (09-06-2014), JaguarTribe1989 (11-30-2014), wa3ra (09-06-2014)
Old 09-06-2014, 05:57 AM

Call 1-800-603-3429 for more info. from JC Whitney if you want. I bought mine on
eBay for $55 but its from JC Whitney. Below is their information about the sensor. eBay shows they've sold 84 of these so that's a pretty good indication it's working. I'm happy with mine and the service I got...shipped it to my door in 2 days and shipping was free. I imagine there's other good deals out there, but I'd stay with a quality sensor.
BOSCH O2 OXYGEN SENSOR UPSTREAM NEW JAGUAR XJ8 XK8 XKR X-TYPE 2008 15627

Description / Notes:BS15627
"Bosch Oxygen Sensor -- BOSCH OE TYPE SUPER CLASS OXYGEN SENSOR, 4-WIRE
18.9 in. wire length, heated; Constructed of premium ceramic technology that incorporates Zirconium or Titania and Yttrium for superior protection against mechanical and thermal shock.
"

Type : 4-wireAnticipated ship out time : 1-2 business daysQuantity sold : Sold individuallyProduct fit : Direct fitRecommended use : OE ReplacementWire length : 18.9 in.

Last edited by Jagsterman; 09-06-2014 at 06:03 AM. Reason: add information: These fit many years and types of Jags and there is a list on eBay with the offer to sell
Old 09-06-2014, 06:01 AM

GREAT PICTURES I wish I had, had those to go by...lol then maybe I would have started in the right place. Really a nice photo shot of the tool for putting in sensors. I would repeat you can borrow those at AutoZone and save the $15 or so they cost to buy. It can be done with other tools, but the one that's made for it really works very very well. Have a Great Day!

Old 09-07-2014, 01:57 AM

Thank you so much to all that replied. The pictures and information will make the job that much easier.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 164 Posts

I had the same codes on my first X Type & had the sensor replaced at my local garage . They used a OEM Denso sensor & yes the acceleration & pick up , plus an improvement in economy was an added bonus . The car ran better than before it started showing the EML light . Plus the repair was a lot cheaper than I thought it would be ....

Old 09-09-2014, 01:36 PM

Does anyone have the actual part number of the DENSO OEM or other brand upstream sensor that actually works on the 2003 X-type 2.5L? I see lots of sensors with different part numbers on eBay and other sites from $20 up and they all claim to fit the x-type, which probably is not correct.
This is the one I found at Rockauto for $68.79:

More Information for DENSO 2349029

Is this the correct part?

There is also a Bosch on eBay for $54.61; Jagsterman, Is this the one you bought?
Bosch O2 Oxygen Sensor Upstream New Jaguar XJ8 XK8 XKR x Type 2008 15627 | eBay

Is this a cheap as it gets? Thanks for your time.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:58 PM

Bosch 15627 is the correct O2 upstream sensor for Bank 1 & Bank 2. I don't know the Denso part #.

$55 is a great price. Suggestion: Buy 2 if both sensors in your car are factory originals. When one fails, the other is not far behind. Mine triggered error codes at ~100 kmiles for Bank 1 and at ~115 kmiles for Bank 2 on a 2002 2.5L X-Type Sport.

Attached Thumbnails P1647 O2 sensorship problem-bosch-15627-o2-sensor.jpg  
Old 09-10-2014, 06:46 AM

[/Quote]
There is also a Bosch on eBay for $54.61; Jagsterman, Is this the one you bought?
Bosch O2 Oxygen Sensor Upstream New Jaguar XJ8 XK8 XKR x Type 2008 15627 | eBay

Is this a cheap as it gets? Thanks for your time.[/QUOTE]

Yep it looks like the one I bought which is the same sensor needed for both upstream and downstream as I understand it.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:35 AM

The Upstream O2 sensors are the same on Bank 1 (firewall side) & Bank 2 (radiator side). And the Downstream O2 sensors are also the same on Bank 1 & Bank 2.

BUT..... The Upstream & Downstream O2 sensors are different.

For example:
+ Bosch part #15627 is the Upstream sensor (Grey electrical connector)
+ Bosch part # 15936 is the Downstream sensor (Black electrical connector)

Old 09-14-2014, 10:00 PM

I finally had the sensor out and it took a lot of effort and a O2 sensor socket. I noticed that when I leaned a little bit on the top hose with the wrench coolant came out from the location highlighted with the red arrow on the picture below. The water pump was replaced a couple of year ago and I am wondering if there should be clamp around that hose going down and it was left off?

Also, I am having trouble putting the sensor in, apparently my hand is too thick to slide it in and turn the sensor and I prefer not to cross thread it; it would help a lot to remove the hose above at the yellow arrows or further away; in the picture, the sensor has the green arrow pointing to it. To do this I am going to guess I need to drain the radiator and my question is, where is the drain valve for the radiator? Do I need to remove the bumper bottom guard to get to the drain valve? I take it that you refill the radiator by returning the coolant to the reservoir?
It would also help removing the plastic piece on the front that goes to the air intake as marked with the red arrow, but the flexible hoses seem to be firmly glued to the plastic piece, any advise on how to remove it?

I would like to get the job finished so your help will and any advise you have will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P1647 O2 sensorship problem