X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

paint price

Old 09-20-2008, 01:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint price

trying to have the garage cleaned out and a spray gun soon, but was wondering how much paint and what kind to get to do the car. got caught in a hail storm a month or so back and have some damage. figured i would do the whole car if possible over the winter month's. mabye while i'm at it get some one to help me put in some ghost flame's across the front.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:52 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts
Default RE: paint price

Loakes, I bought a quart of british racing green for my jag a few months ago and the quart of paint was about $30. You can get a full gallon for around $100. To do a car like ours, you are looking at roughly just over a gallon to paint the whole vehicle. Now, keep in mind, that is just the price for the paint. You still have to buy some thinner, clear, hardener for the clear, and any masking material for covering up the glass/chrome. So, spending about $300 in paint will not be unheard of. Now, keep in mind, this is assuming you are getting a basic color. You decide on say red, or a metallic color (one with the tiny flecks in it that make the paint shimmer more), then you are looking at more for the paint.

Paint is definitely one of those things that you get what you pay for. Keep in mind that paint also comes in 2 variants. You have what are called 1 coat and 2 coat paints. 1 coat paints are what the car manufacturers use. The clear is built into the paint. You paint once and all is done. The clear rises to the surface and leaves the top shiny. You then have 2 coat paints. You first have to paint the color layer (which will come out somewhat flat) and then you have to come back and add a layer of clear over that. The benefit of the 2 coat paints is that you get much more depth to the paint, leading to a better looking paint job, but at the cost of more expensive paint. The down side is that it will take more time. If you are looking at flames anyways, you will need to apply a coat of clear over everything once it is all done. So, keep that in mind too.

Maybe it is just how I am painting, but I have not had good luck with getting a super shiny finish from 1 coat paints. So, I normally end up putting atleast a single layer of clear over any paint that I use.

Also, keep in mind that when I say a layer, I am not talking about covering a surface once and calling it good. Most paints require you to put down some paint, let it flash (chemical process occurring in the paint when it starts to dry, indicated by the paint getting a slightly dull look to it), which then requires another pass of paint to be placed over it shortly after. After the application of a few passes, the flash process will start to fade, resulting in the glossy finish (1 coat paints). Some people will go as far as to make a pass over a vehicle, let it dry, give it a light sanding and then upt another pass of paint over the vehicle. This ensures that the paint will lay flat and not end up with any ripples (aka, orange peel). Gives a better appearance at the cost of more time.

A little trick that I found hard to believe but actually works very well is you can apply say 2-3 passes of clear and between each pass, sand the clear. Sure, as you sand it will turn the clear very hazy. But, as you put another pass of clear down, it will go back to being completely clear. Just have to make sure to put down an adequate amount of clear. If not, you will be left with a hazy look.

If you have more paint questions, just ask.

Chris "Thermo" Coleman and K'Re Ann, the 03 X

Old 09-20-2008, 07:03 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Loaks, as for paints, I currently use 4th Dimension and PPG for the most part. Both are good paints that won't leave your wallet empty. talk with your local paint store and see what they recommend. Also, keep in mind that if you are painting a car in your garage, most areas have laws against that. Just a friendly notice. Personally, if you want to paint your car, go for it. But, some places are really picky about it. If you live out in the country, then odds are you won't have any issues. But, in town, some people may complain about the vapors. Also keep in mind that you will need LOTS of ventilation for your garage. Getting the car enclosed into a normal garage can lead to displacing oxygen (leading to the painter passing out) and also to a flame hazzard as the fumes are explosive and something as silly as turning on a light switch/compressor kicking on can cause things to ignite and go BOOM. So, be smart when you are painting.

Chris "Thermo" Coleman and K'Re Ann, the 03 X

Old 09-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i plan on doing my old f-150 first since i plan on taking the body off. this will be more practice before i hit the trans am, then do the jag closer to spring. i got some body work to do to the truck and trans am, bed is like one huge hole, and the car needs the trunk worked on. then i am going to set up a "booth"in the middle of the garage. the truck is too long to fit in whole but the car will slide in nicely. i got to many toys and not enough room. thanks for the info, if you think of anything else that might help let me know.