X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking aid (again)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 11:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Parking aid (again)

I'm sure this has been asked many times, but I can't find a definitive answer, and if someone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it, car is a 53' 2.5 SE manual transmission, now, I have found what appears to be a defective sensor on rear driver side, I've had a good fiddle but, HOW DO THEY COME OUT! I can't seem to shift it, do I need to remove the whole plastic valence?
Thanks for any info.
Regards
Andrew

Old 02-03-2016, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The sensors are pushed thru the bumper fro the outside, but there is a trick to it.
Pry the sensor toward the center of the bumper and wedge 2 small screwdrivers against the clips inside the bumper and push in from outside on the sensor. It should pop thru the bumper face and be free. You might also want to remove the connector plug for clearance.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:10 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Devlin, just to expound upon what avern said. If you look on the back side of the bumper, you will see where the sensor mounts. 180 degrees from each other are 2 tabs with holes in the center that hold the sensor in place. It is easiest to get 2 small flat bladed screw drivers and slide them in under the tabs to release them from the sensor. Then, using your thumb, push from the outside to push the sensor into the bumper. DO NOT!!!! grab the sensor and try to pull it through. YOU WILL!!!! break the sensor. Ask me how I know this. LMAO. You will still end up using your thumb to push the one part of the sensor out of the bumper. The new one will slide right in and click in place. Just note where the plug was orientated so when you push in the new one, you don't have to twist the sensor to get it lined up properly.

Please note that there are 2 different style sensors back there. You have one that has a plug that goes straight into the sensor and there is a style where the plug is mounted 90 degrees to the sensor. Make sure you have the correct style for the location of the sensor. The outside ones are one style, the center ones are the other style.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:01 PM

Thanks for your replies, most appreciated,
From the back it looks like there are 3 clips at 120 deg holding the sensor, is that not what I should be concentrating on? There are also what appear to be two clips nearer to the valence, but I thought these were for the sensor housing which I don't want to remove.
It's so hard to describe things on a forum.
Once again thanks for your help.
Are there any pictures anywhere which would explain which clips I need to work on?

Old 02-04-2016, 09:46 AM
Veteran member

Devlin, the best advice that I can tell you is these two things: 1) start at the electrical plug and follow the sensor itself to the set of clips that are holding the sensor and undo those (regardless if you have 2 or 3 clips). Undo the clips there and then attempt to press out the sensor; 2) you should be able to look at the clips and see where one set of clips is further away from the center of the sensor than the other set. You want to under the inner set of clips.

Granted, if you have the new sensor in hand, look on the barrel of the sensor. You should see 2 or 3 ramps around the sensor in the middle. If you see 2 ramps, then you need to undo the 2 clips. If you see 3, then you need to undo the 3 clips.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:19 PM

Thanks thermo, will give it a good go soon as it stops flippin raining!
devlin

Old 02-06-2016, 10:47 AM

Ok, removed and replaced what I thought was a faulty sensor this morning, the lugs that hold it are 150 degrees displaced, a bit odd but hey ho, anyway still got the tone on selecting reverse, so either another faulty sensor or faulty module. All the sensors can be heard clicking but one or two are very very faint, so will start with them.
I will sort this out, sod the cost!
Devlin.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:32 AM
Veteran member

Devlin, some times the problems seem obvious and yet, they continue. Stick with it and you will get to the end of it.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:51 AM

Yes, thanks for your support thermo.
By the way, you, ( or anybody else ) don't happen to know what colour the stock alloys fitted to a 53 x type is do you, I want to repaint them.
Regards
Devlin

Old 02-14-2016, 09:47 AM

Getting fed up with this now, replaced all sensors all appear to be working (clicking) but now it is beeping at varying times for varying periods of time with no pattern at all, I dont know if to replace the module or just buy an aftermarket set up.
Devlin

Old 02-15-2016, 07:34 AM
Veteran member

DevlinC, I am not sure what the color code is for the wheels. I would simply find a color that is close and repaint all 4 wheels. That way they all look new and they will all be the same color.

As for the random sounding of the system, this is sounding more like a control box issue. I am assuming you have looked at the wiring and found nothing odd. So, this really only leaves the control box.

Old 02-15-2016, 03:22 PM

Hi, thermo, yes I was thinking the same, may as well throw a bit more money at it I suppose that's all that's left to replace.
Devlin