X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Part number for front turn signal bulb?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 06:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Part number for front turn signal bulb?

I decided to replace my amber turn signal bulbs with some SilverVision bulbs, to get rid of the "fried egg" look. According to my owners manual it should be the same bulbs front and rear (PY21W). However, the turn signal bulb in front is different, it has a rectangular base instead of round.

Anyone know what bulb I need? It's not a job you want to do over again. My X-Type is a 2002 model, but was actually built in 2001.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

copy and paste off of sylvania's website

2002 JAGUAR X-Type (With halogen capsule headlamps)
Low beam headlamp
H1
H1ST Silverstar: The brighter and whiter light. Up to 35% brighter, up to 30% more downroad visibility and up to 35% more sideroad visibility.
H1XV XtraVision: The brighter light for upgraded performance. Up to 30% brighter light and up to 25% more downroad visibility.

High beam headlamp
H1
H1ST Silverstar: The brighter and whiter light. Up to 35% brighter, up to 30% more downroad visibility and up to 35% more sideroad visibility.
H1XV XtraVision: The brighter light for upgraded performance. Up to 30% brighter light and up to 25% more downroad visibility.

Parking light
2825LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Front turn signal
7507AST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
7507LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Rear turn signal
7507AST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
7507LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Tail light
5007LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.
7528LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Stop light
7528LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

High mount stop light
2825LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.
H21W (64136)

Fog/Driving light
H1

License plate

Back up light
7506ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
7506LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Front sidemarker

Rear sidemarker

Glove box
3893LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Map light

Step/Courtesy light
6418LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

That's very surprising indeed. I'm looking to do the same thing front and back. No where I have seen says anything but the P21's. You've had her since new right? So, no chance the sockets/bulb holders got replaced?

If you ever get it done, could you post up a picture and give a first hand impression about the bulb quality and life span?

Old 05-11-2010, 09:37 PM

Yeah JagX, that info from the Sylvania site shows the same number for front and rear turn signals, as does my manual. The problem is that, on my car, the bulbs are not the same. The number listed works for the rear, but I have a different bulb in the front.

I ordered my car September of 2001 and it was custom built to get all the options exactly as I wanted. I took delivery of the car in December of 2001, so it was one of the very first X-Types. It appears that the later productions have the same bulbs front and rear.

I did install the Philips Silver Vision PY21W bulbs in the back and they do look great. No amber color when off and bright amber color when on.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

I looked at JEPC and it shows a part # C2S15075
I don't know what that equates to in the real world of parts stores.

bob gauff

Old 05-11-2010, 10:12 PM

bob, thanks that's a Jaguar number, but the question is... is it a different number than what they show for the rear?

Also, I don't think a parts store can convert a Jaguar number to their own. Plus, the Jag number would be for regular amber bulbs not "silver".

What I really need is probably a Sylvania or Philips number.

Last edited by Tiger88; 05-11-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:58 PM

Here are some pics of what the Silver Vision bulb does for the rear.

Before:

After:

Last edited by Tiger88; 07-31-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:47 PM
Veteran Member

Any discernible numbers on the front bulb you took out. What about a picture of it to see if anyone can identify it.

Thanks for the pics. Looks good.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you tried fitting the rear bulbs on the front?

Old 05-12-2010, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by mohrd
Any discernible numbers on the front bulb you took out. What about a picture of it to see if anyone can identify it.

Thanks for the pics. Looks good.
Well, I wish I had taken pictures. The truth is I was so bothered when I saw the bulb was different that I immediately put it all back together, my bad. I actually had to remove the battery and battery case to get the light cover back on. It's such a PITA to get to.

I was hoping someone else would have run into this so I could have the right bulb on hand before taking it apart again. Taking it apart for another look is plan B.

Plan C is to paint the existing bulbs. It's been done before, but it has it's own drawbacks.

Plan D is to just forget it... too much trouble.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good, Where can you get these bulbs?? I looked for a pair at the auto part's store the other day but couldn't find them.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by BlackJag914
Looks good, Where can you get these bulbs?? I looked for a pair at the auto part's store the other day but couldn't find them.
The Silver Vision bulbs were some I've had sitting around for a long time, I forget where I got them. Not sure if they are readily available anymore.

I'm still working on solving the mystery on the front bulbs, but it may be a few more weeks before I really have the time to finish up. There are some other "silver" bulbs that look promising, but I still need to do some more research, ordering, install and pictures. I'll post the results when I get it all wrapped up.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

Blackjag, there are a few sets of the PY21W's with silver coating on eBay.

Tiger88, I don't mind the front so much but am going to change my rears. Don't like messing with anything in the front assemblies due to the fragile nature.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:22 PM

Appreciate the info guys, Tiger wish I could help but I have no idea when it come's to things like this.. I wish you the best of luck and let us know what happens. Mohrd I'm in the same boat as you with the front end idea, I would probably do more hurt then good as well. Let's see what happens..

Old 07-03-2010, 06:43 PM

Sorry it took so long to get back to this thread, but I had a close encounter with a deer (not too serious) that set my schedule back a little.

Anyway, to answer the question I originally posted, the part number for the front turn signal bulbs on a very early X-Type is a Sylvania 3157.

Sylvania does make a silver coated bulb (SilverStar) which I ordered from Amazon. The coating on the SilverStar bulbs is more of an iridescent blue and amber color, which I didn't really like. So, I'm just leaving the original amber bulbs in until I can find a set of Philips Silver Vision bulbs for the front.

Edit: Note that these are not the bulbs used on most X-Types, don't order the 3157 bulbs unless you have actually looked at yours.

Last edited by Tiger88; 07-03-2010 at 09:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Shaguar Sextype (12-27-2010)
Old 07-03-2010, 07:30 PM

If you can find them, these are probably the bulbs you want for both front and rear turn signals.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:52 PM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to add that the front turn signals in my '05 are also this type of bulb. I'm not sure at what point they would have switched to the same bulb as the rear but I would assume from this info that at least '01-'05 use the 3157.

Also, looking on the sylvania site it says something along the lines of "bulb types vary, consult your manual" in reference to the front turn signal.

The one question I have is why they used a 3157 instead of a 3156. The 3157 is dual filament but doesn't our turn signal only light up at one intensity?

Old 07-31-2012, 01:05 AM

It's been awhile since I was working on this, but if I remember correctly the 3157 was recommended because it can handle more current than the 3156.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:20 AM

Going through this update on my XType as well. For the back tail lights how do you remove the bulb? Do you have to remove the 3 bolts and the housing or can you specifically remove just the turn signal light?

For the front headlight/ turn signal light. Any tips on getting this bulb out? I see on the US driver's side it looks like I am going to have to take the battery and battery housing off to get more room to work. Passenger side looks even worse. Any help would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: Part number for front turn signal bulb?