X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Part Numbers

Old 12-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Part Numbers

Because I like playing with cars I was planning to change my transfer case oil the JTIS way but I have run into a problem.

The manual says to remove the drive pinion housing to drain the oil and then replace the O-ring on the pinion housing. My ******* does not show such a part being available.

Has anyone done this- is there a replacement ring?

Brian [sm=headbang.gif]

Old 12-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts
Default RE: Part Numbers

I could tell you but I work at 1 of those "*******S"

Old 12-08-2008, 10:16 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Fact of the matter is Bo, The dealers just simply don't change the TC fluid..My dealer was very much sold on the Filled for Life BS..

Brutal..I get exactly your feelings..People have a habit of painting the whole dealership with a wide brush of discontent..I have nothing but the highest respect for my dealership's service, they have ALWAYS treated me right....Now the Parts dept., well that's another story

Old 12-08-2008, 10:29 PM

we suck it out with vacuum/pressure pump, same one we use to fill trannies to the correct level while running and the fill port is on the side next to the exhaust. You dont expect a fireman to put out a fire with a garden hose do you?

Old 12-09-2008, 09:19 AM

CAUSE FOR THE MOST PART, THE ONLY TIME WE SEE XTYPES IS FOR EXTENDDED WARRANTY REPAIRS. WHICH MEENS IF A TC GOES OUT WE REPLACE IT. I HAVE AN X RIGHT NOW THAT IS TYPICAL OF WHAT I SEE, LOTS OF PROBLEMS AND MAINTENACE NEEDED BUT NO $$$ TO DO IT.
BESIDES, YA'LL SEEM TO BE DOING JUST FINE. AND SOMETIMES ASSUMPTIONS HAVE TO BE MADE. IF I SUCK OUT THE TC, I CANT SEE IN, TRUE, WHILE I COULD SUCK THE FLUID INTO A MEASURING CUP, ITS TOO MESSY AND TIME CONSUMING.
SO I JUST HAVE TO ASSUME THAT IF I SUCK IT OUT, FOR THE MOST PART ITS EMPTY. REFILL AND YOURE DONE.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:19 PM

Bo, you know, I just spent 20 minutes thinking about and typing out a response to your a little overly personal pointed statment to me above. Only to have the imfamous error message pop up when I went to post. So heres the short of it, Im here to learn and share help, You have shared info I didnt know on TC flushes and yet you accuse ME of causeing the cars to self destruct from not offering good advise? WTF, whos on here for no pay sharing years of experiance and inside knowledge for what!!!!!
It sure aint any $$$$$$$ so think about that next time you want to blast what 1 of a handful of techs on here that try to help...I can see why techs leave forums, they get blasted for whatever pent up frustration you or others have towards dealers....And this isnt the first time Ive been personally attacked. We dont remove the output housing, that why that parts guys never sold any of those orings. and its an oring. orings if undamaged can be reused if neccessary whether you agree with this or not, put some hylaseal on it just to be even more confident. And the same tool we use to suck out, when reversed can also put new fluid right back in. And why should I recommend a transfere case flush, tranny, radiator etc when I cant get Xtype owners to replace bald tires, repair broken and bent suspension components chewing up tires, metal to metal brakes etc...Why should I even waste more time to write a bigger estimate when they cant affgord to maintain the safty of their car?????
1 more question. How helpful would you be if I just referred to everyone in your business as a thief?

Old 12-10-2008, 12:02 PM

, im sorry, I was just really pissed after spending all that time on my first response and forgot to save, only to loose the whole thing when I went to post. But yes, I am alittle sensitive on the whole *********** thing, cause we get stolen from too. Guess who gets to eat labor on harder jobs to diag??? yep me, You put hours into diag problematic car only to be short paid, and straight time is a looser to, so to be short paid is even worse. But not only that, I work very hard to counter that very thing, which takes alot of personalized time and effort that doesnt directly help the doolars in my pocket, but I do it beacause thats just me and I sympathize with that whole autorepair industry thing, not just dealers. and to answer the original question is jack of the left of the car about 2' from the ground to the body sill and you can get more than enough oil in the left side of the case...see now wasnt that easy!!!

Old 12-10-2008, 07:12 PM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

ORIGINAL: BRUTAL

...and to answer the original question is jack of the left of the car about 2' from the ground to the body sill and you can get more than enough oil in the left side of the case...see now wasnt that easy!!!
Woohoo! Now we're gettin' somewhere!

So you drain the TC by removing the plug, then remove what doesn't drain by gravity (~200 ml?) with suction. Is there any special trick to snaking a suction tube into the drain hole?

And filling the TC through the drain (with 550 ml?) is just a matter of jacking the drivers side (only) by several inches then pumping in the oil?

Wow, I wish I had a spare TC to play with!

Brutal, we do appreciate your input and insight. Please feel free to share any other time-saving techniques!

Old 12-10-2008, 07:54 PM

oopps sorry I ment 2 feet not inches or 540mm to be more precise. And I have fashioned a piece of hard plastic tubing into a hook with a heat gun to fit into the TC plug opening. then hook to this tool I use to vac/and fill
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...7974_200007974
You can make a smaller container with fitting from Home Depot to use in smaller amounts and even measure.