Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parts for VVT-repair?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parts for VVT-repair?

Hello, and thank you for this forum.

I have a serious problem with my X-Type (2,1 V6 Saloon Automatic 2002, 195000 kms).
Car started to make rattleling noise. I towed it to a small carage (in Finland it's too expensive to work with the importer).
They found out i have to make a whole VVT-repair. All bits and pieces. And if i want to do it right, it's two times - both sides.
3800 eur.

Please, give me some hope.

Is there any good places to buy parts, for a decent price?
Thank you.

Br. Mikko

Old 04-04-2018, 03:32 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

What all are they replacing? There isn't much to the VVT system. Pretty much you have the ECU and the VVT actuators on the end of the camshafts. That is it. Besides, for that kind money, you can get a good used engine put into your car and have something that is practically new.

From the sounds of things, it is something that the shop doesn't want to deal with or they see the kitty on the car and figure you have more dollars than sense. I would personally take it to another shop to have them look at it and see what they say.

Not having the car in my hands and actually hearing the noise and whatnot, but I can get a good feeling based on the problems that get reported here, your problem is not the VVT system (you would be one of the first to have that problem). Normally when our cars start making a rattling sound, it is due to bad bearings in the bottom of the engine, not the VVT system. If you had issues with the VVT system, it should have all sorts of error codes. You can ask the garage that you took the car to to give you the error codes and see what they say (preferably, have them take the code reader out there to show you the error codes). From the codes that they pull from the car, we can get a better idea of what is going on with your vehicle.

The following users liked this post:
Tindrum (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 08:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank You.

I will ask the codes for me, thats a really good idea.

Little more about the symptoms. First came a small rattle, which alternated by the revs of the engine. Then the engine stopped - when i was luckily driving more or less 20 kms per hour.
It started and run, but with the rattle. Then i parked it and towed to this carage. First diagnosis was the alternator (since i had to charge the battery the same day - it was -22 degrees below), but it was fine, battery was bad. Then they started it and run it shortly. Engine was running and rattling, and stopped by itself. When running the engine was kind of coughing back through the air filter box. After that i don't know how much they have dismantled the engine, as i said to them that i want to find out the parts prices in UK before doing more.

I'll send the codes as i get them.

Thanks.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:49 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

I don't ever recall seeing or even hearing about a VVT issue on an X-Type. I know the S-Type ones had some issues on the V6, but you would get a code, and was able to cheat it by using a thicker oil.

Do you have any pictures to prove that the VVTs are faulty? How far have they disassembled the engine?
The coughing could be timing related, or something much more serious......