i have only been up to like 100mph and didnt realize it. Very smooth

Old 03-23-2012, 10:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you blondes everywhere.

The following users liked this post:
Bruce in North Dakota (03-24-2012)
Old 03-24-2012, 01:51 AM
Received 4,446 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Late to the party here, but a speedo indicated 230 km/h (which on my pocket calculator comes to 143mph).

It was a slightly downhill stretch of Autobahn between Konstanz and Singen, in Germany.

You could probably take off the 10% speedo error and there's no way it would do that on a level road....

Ironically i've driven faster in Australia than I have in Germany...

Old 03-24-2012, 01:07 PM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Exclamation 03 X type 2.5

When I first got my Jag one day one a deserted straight highway traveling 60 mph I floored it and held it she downshifted growled (like a tiger) and when I chickened out she hadn't upshifed yet at 130mph and climbing fast. Things happen way to fast at 130 and I'll never do it again. 90 or110mph is nothing, just passing a car you can hit that BUT sustaining 130mph no freaking way, not on a normal roadway where if you hit a goose or dog or blow a tire it could be the end. Drive safe people!!! AND don't use up your nine lives.I have only got 5 left if I have counted correct?

Old 03-24-2012, 05:32 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

USAFTbird Wrote:
"What has worked for me in the past, to reduce static speed RPMs, is to reduce intake and exhaust impedance to airflow. I do believe that the engine holds RPMs due to exhaust restriction (still a WAG), but since my down pipe to catalytic converter seems to be jacked, I am willing to experiment."

I don't have any blistering speed stories but regarding air flow in the 2.5L X stick-shifter, I have a 2" diameter 3rd cold air pick up, KN air filter, and Magna Flow mufflers on a lowered X type. I did these mods all together and noticed the engined had a much nicer hum at high rpms. 4000 rpms is pretty comfortable for this motor now. I don't go much over 55K even when hitting some of my favorite uphill turns around Tucson. We have some nicely paved roads that twist, rise and drop as they head west into the desert.

I think the OEM set up for the X is air starved, and out of breathe!

Also, the important thing about hitting high rpms is to have a good load on the motor. This AWD machine is what it is. With a few mods tho, it's a hot little ride.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:51 PM
Default Mileage

My Bank 2 #2 O2 sensor reading is N/A.It has a miss on cold start but clears quickly No codes for O2s. My mileage dropped from 28-31 highway to 27 and 21 in town, guess I need to check on a sensor. I get a P0300 (random miss) that clears but comes back. I think when I had a vac leak it toasted it.
Also working on a coolant leak, thought it was the pump but found it;s leaking from the thermostat plastic housing "o" ring.Got it torn down waiting to get parts Monday, hope that takes care of it.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:49 PM
Banned
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

To the best of my memory, which is only semi-reliable, I pushed my '04 VDP up to 130mph last year rolling through a mountain range nearby. It felt like I was piloting a spacecraft. It exuded confidence, made great power, and was sure-footed. That speed would be considered only semi-fast in Germany however, and in May of last year, pushed our rented MB wagon (diesel) much faster many different tiimes.

Last edited by BigCat3153; 03-25-2012 at 11:51 PM. Reason: can't type
Old 03-26-2012, 09:32 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 241 Likes on 208 Posts

FYI, I've got the original dealer brochure on my X-Type and it says that the top speed (at least for a US car) is electronically limited to 125mph.
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 03-26-2012, 10:19 PM
Default coolant leak fixed

Replaced the thermostat/housing, flushed,refilled system,made and replaced water pump gasket and all is well. When I first took off under shield to get at thermostat it was broke in several spots( was supposed to be fixed at body shop) they just pieced it together. I spent some time repairing it so it looks original and stable. Next project is flush the power steering and replace B2O2 sensor,grease drive shaft support bearing.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

125 up a hill in a 3.0 sport racing abmw 325ix. I won

Old 03-27-2012, 04:29 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Having being lucky to own 2 x types with all 3 petrol gas engines (2.1, uk only, and the 2.5 in my current x type later replaced with a 3.0 engine ) i have maxed out all, on the same stretch of motorway, using the same 99 super unleaded octane rating, and got the same top speeds on all 3 engines. That was 135 mph on level ground. It maybe could of gone a little bit more, but engine was screaming and my junction was coming up! I think its the gearing on these boxes (manual transmission) only let the car do a certain speed. Why they never made a 6 speed box 4 the petrols i never know! But thats my experience, and the car felt welded to the floor and very stable. Loved every second of it Happy Days! Ryan.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personal best was 132, about 5800 rpms. Car didn't even shift to 5th until around 125. I think I could have made it to 150 if I had a long enough stretch of road.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:26 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

No one has mentioned that speed that they noticed the car "float" for a moment.

It's that speed where the Jaguar X-type kind of "shifts dimensions", where it goes from being earth-bound to being close to a damned aeroplane.

Oh, the car settles down - if you don't get scared and just go ahead and 'punch through it'. The only thing missing at that point is the ring of cloud one experiences around the craft when you hit the sonic barrier.

The AWD X-Type never looses it's claws, never loses it's grip - but the "float" is what you feel that scares you and you back off. Every car has a "float" point. You have to make a decision to go faster or slower, the choice is yours - but you better make it quick because the car is just intirinsically unstable at that point.

My advice is to keep the pedal to the metal, go faster, not slower. If you are "intrinsically unstable" and start hitting those brakes at that 'break-away' speed, you may lose and never regain control.

DO NOT BE AFRAID OF THE X-TYPE AT HIGH SPEEDS.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I believe: The most important thing when driving an X-Type at high speed is your choice in music.

(and the Blonde!)

hehehe. #IntrinsicallyUnstable

Last edited by Bruce in North Dakota; 03-31-2012 at 02:58 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:27 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

GTR. 152. (293 kwatw).
Ducati. 160.
V12. 138. (had plenty more but a bit floaty?)
XJ40. Wouldn't try it. (262000 kilometres on the clock and runs just fine at the speed limits thank you and touch wood).
Subaru. Not really interested in top speed but it is quick off the mark (181 kwatw)
Sportwagon. Not interested at all.

kW at the wheels as opposed to 'at the engine'. In the case of the GTR it is in all wheel drive but mainly rear wheel drive as controlled by the ATTESA-ETS electronics. In the case of the Subaru it is constant all wheel drive.
As for the ducati its is 'holh'. (hang on like hell).

Last edited by direng; 03-31-2012 at 03:05 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:56 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

What the heck is "kwatw"?

"Kiwi's All the Way"???

/am qualified to ask the question because I watched "Crocodile Dundee" earlier tonight. Just gotta love Linda Koslowski!!! Oh - and the heck with the "Walk-About" thing, I'm gonna drive the Jag!

Old 03-31-2012, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce in North Dakota
What the heck is "kwatw"?

"Kiwi's All the Way"???

/am qualified to ask the question because I watched "Crocodile Dundee" earlier tonight. Just gotta love Linda Koslowski!!! Oh - and the heck with the "Walk-About" thing, I'm gonna drive the Jag!
My favourite part is wwwwwhen the croc nearly gets her.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce in North Dakota
No one has mentioned that speed that they noticed the car "float" for a moment.

It's that speed where the Jaguar X-type kind of "shifts dimensions", where it goes from being earth-bound to being close to a damned aeroplane.

Oh, the car settles down - if you don't get scared and just go ahead and 'punch through it'. The only thing missing at that point is the ring of cloud one experiences around the craft when you hit the sonic barrier.

The AWD X-Type never looses it's claws, never loses it's grip - but the "float" is what you feel that scares you and you back off. Every car has a "float" point. You have to make a decision to go faster or slower, the choice is yours - but you better make it quick because the car is just intirinsically unstable at that point.

My advice is to keep the pedal to the metal, go faster, not slower. If you are "intrinsically unstable" and start hitting those brakes at that 'break-away' speed, you may lose and never regain control.

DO NOT BE AFRAID OF THE X-TYPE AT HIGH SPEEDS.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I believe: The most important thing when driving an X-Type at high speed is your choice in music.

(and the Blonde!)

hehehe. #IntrinsicallyUnstable

Years ago my 5.3 XJ-S (1984) was very 'floaty' at around 110-120 but when you got to 140-150 it felt like it dropped about 50mm (2 inches for youse guys) and pinned itself to the road. I could feel the steering tighten.

Last edited by direng; 03-31-2012 at 03:28 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:24 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I am the guy who started this thread never dreaming there would be so many interesting posts. Thank you.
I think my favorite so far is from the person in the rectangular hole in the middle of north america describing the "float" factor. I did indeed sense that and almost mentioned it in the original post as an analog to the sound barrier discussions of the Chuck Yeager era. But I thought people would laugh and make fun.
I also am confused by all the people who claim to have gone way faster than the rev limiter will allow. I don't suppose anyone would publish a bypass for that band-aid? Again, thank you all for making this a fun forum. --Tom

Old 04-01-2012, 09:06 AM
Received 4,446 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Originally Posted by thomash85715
I also am confused by all the people who claim to have gone way faster than the rev limiter will allow. I don't suppose anyone would publish a bypass for that band-aid?
Well, I think the speed limiter applies to North American spec cars only. i.e.

Originally Posted by pab
FYI, I've got the original dealer brochure on my X-Type and it says that the top speed (at least for a US car) is electronically limited to 125mph.
Now for the models outside NA;

Me - Swiss/Euro spec, 143mph downhill (speedo)
jagryan85 - UK spec, 135mph (speedo)

And the NA models;

squenix - NA spec, 135mph (speedo)
ufoz8mycow - NA spec, 132mph (GPS)
disguay - NA spec, 125mph, uphill! (speedo)

I don't doubt that the NA cars will actually go past 125mph, maybe +10%, the 155mph gentlemens agreement for limiters in Europe on BMWs, Mercs, Audis, Jags, etc. is often +10%.

The problem is finding a stretch of road long enough to do it.
They get to 115mph no problem, but squeezing out the last 10-20mph takes a long time...

Last edited by Cambo; 04-01-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:18 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

kids dont try this at home. 1 hand on wheel. 1 hand on the blackberry...lol
Name:  IMG-20110701-00066.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  62.4 KB

Quick Reply: Personal Best Top Speed