X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked Up My '04 Today, and It Has a Code !!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 07:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Picked Up My '04 Today, and It Has a Code !!!

Just picked my car today ... bought it on Saturday. Had a very uneventful drive home from the used car dealer this afternoon (~60 miles) on the expressway at about 75 MPH ... car ran just fine. Then go to get Chinese takeout for my wife, and there's a code!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Needless to say, I'm NOT a happy camper.

Worse yet, I pick up the Chinese and pull into an AutoZone, and the guy can't get a signal (nothing!) out of the OBDII !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Says it might be a fuse.

Car is running okay, and I don't want Chinese, so I go to get a pizza. (I'm seriously trying to bond with this new-to-me car.) And the code has now gone away !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What the heck is going on ???????????????? HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-26-2010, 08:46 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default from another post today...

Originally Posted by Thermo
... Some of the codes are pretty easy to fix and cost almost nothing to fix. Others will cost you a pretty penny to fix. With a code like P0171/P0174 (vacuum leak), this is normally fixed with installing a $3 o-ring which takes all of about 5 minutes to install. You get something like P1613 (inefficient catalytic converter), that will run you about $2000 to fix. It all depends on how your mechanical abilities are...
If you post what code(s) you are seeing, one of the experts like Thermo there might be able to say something intelligent - otherwise the only details you've provided will leave us wondering whether you had Chinese or Pizza or lost your appetite altogether...

Old 07-26-2010, 09:00 PM

As stated, I couldn't read the code. OBDII isn't functioning.

Heck of deal, nicht wahr?

Old 07-26-2010, 09:23 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

My guess is that it just doesn't like Chinese. Might want to go out for a meat pie next time?

So do I understand that the light went out? It should still be stored in there. Maybe your local Autozone parts pusher just didn't know how to operate a scan tool?

Old 07-26-2010, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by benebob
My guess is that it just doesn't like Chinese. Might want to go out for a meat pie next time?

So do I understand that the light went out? It should still be stored in there. Maybe your local Autozone parts pusher just didn't know how to operate a scan tool?
In my attempt at brevity and hoping to not bore you guys, I didn't mention that I also stopped at another shop* just down the street from the AutoZone, and they also could not get a reading out of the OBDII.

Needless to say, I'll be calling the used car dealer tomorrow AM ... just wanted to be prepared with the most knowledge from you guys that I could get.

* (I only trust a tenth of what I hear, and 50% of what I see. )

Old 07-27-2010, 09:31 AM

Okay, I'm settled down ... a bit, anyway.

Searched and found an old thread talking about changing a fuse to get the OBDII powered up again. Even though it referenced Fuse 80 (there is no fuse 80 in my car), I did consult the Owner's Manual again today and found two fuses that might be involved. Turns out, Fuse 25 (5 amp) was indeed blown. Got a pack of them (just in case ) at AutoZone this am, popped it in, and of course there's no code being displayed on the dash now.

For what it's worth, I've decided on a different approach ... I'm going to schmooz the car into behaving. Gonna clay bar it today and put a coat of Zaino Bros on it.

Last edited by rand49er; 07-27-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:52 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by rand49er
For what it's worth, I've decided on a different approach ... I'm going to schmooz the car into behaving. Gonna clay bar it today and put a coat of Zaino Bros on it.
Never hurts to pamper the vehicle into behaving. I too had difficulty getting the autozone scanner to talk to the Jag, the car only likes certain OBDII scanners, we have a member approved thread in the 'general tech section' if you want to spend $40 or so and pick up your own.

Enjoy the new car.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:09 PM

Forty buck$ for a scanner? The money is no problem ... just shudder to think I'll be needing it.

Okay, now for some gratuitous pics of my newly-clay-barred then Zaino'd X-Type ...

Name:  PICT0624.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  184.2 KB

Name:  PICT0627.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  154.0 KB

Name:  PICT0631.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  214.6 KB

Old 07-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

rand49er, at this point, about the only thing you can do is keep driving the car and seeing if the CEL comes back on. It is very possible that with the 5A fuse blowing, that it caused the computer to misread something, leading it to think there was a problem. Give the car a little bit longer and go from there. Some of the codes on modern cars can come in pretty easy.

As for getting a code reader, while I don't plan on using it on my vehicles, it is nice to have around for when a code does come in. That way you know that the reader you are going to use is a good one. I went to my local Autozone and picked up one there. paid like $70 for it. Nothing fancy, but it gives me the codes. Comes in handy with the neighbors too as I can read their cars too. But then, I have fun working on their cars and keeping in good with them.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:50 PM

Thanks, Thermo, I agree with the laissez faire strategy on this phantom code I saw. Every time I start the car, I look at the dash and will probably continue to do so for an undeterminable time into the future. So far, so good.

I'm pretty familar with getting codes having modded my Cadillac. Got a code after putting the long-tube headers on, then had it taken care of with a dyno tune. Still want to add a larger throttle body on it and get a retune, but it runs so very, very well right now, I don't want to upset the apple cart for another 20-25 rwhp. I'm at 472 rwhp now, and it's sufficiently exhilarating as it is.

Okay, I'm starting to bond. Yup. Wife likes it, and that's 99% of the battle. My 7-1/2-year-old son REALLY likes it. You know what? I REALLY like it, too.

Oh, btw, I'm a University of Michigan grad (twice). I've checked the availability of an "M" license plate with the letters behind the bold yellow M being YXTYPE, so (obviously) it would read MYXTYPE. Whuddaya think? (My Cadillac CTS-V is "MY V.")

Last edited by rand49er; 07-27-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:02 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

OH BOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Michigan Sucks!!!!!! GO BUCKEYES!!!!!!!! LMAO. Sorry, just have to. I grew up in Ohio and used to love all the UM/OSU rivalries that used to go on. Come on, I know you want to sling it back. I can take it. he he he he he he.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
OH BOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Michigan Sucks!!!!!! GO BUCKEYES!!!!!!!! LMAO. Sorry, just have to. I grew up in Ohio and used to love all the UM/OSU rivalries that used to go on. Come on, I know you want to sling it back. I can take it. he he he he he he.
Oh, boy ... a mod from Ohio.

At least he can read and write.

BTW, the license plate on my Caddy has a block M (color is maize, of course) followed closely by a Y then several spaces and a V short for CTS-V (i.e. MY V).

I've searched and determined that I can do something similar with my new X-Type by getting MYXTYPE with the M standing for Michigan ... of course.

A mod from Ohio? Well, at least he had sense enough to move.

Thermo, I can tell this is gonna be fun being on here with you.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

While you guys re-wage the battle for Toledo I say "Go Badgers!!"

Old 07-31-2010, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Alfadude
While you guys re-wage the battle for Toledo I say "Go Badgers!!"
A cheesehead, too?!!

Old 08-02-2010, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts