X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston Rings for xtype 2.5L who has them besides dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 01:43 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Piston Rings for xtype 2.5L who has them besides dealer?

anyone knows???

not looking for Federal-Mogul's/sealed power rings there rubbish and dont fit at all, just ask me how i know.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

contact ken at motorcars(site sponsor here) since they rebuild jag engines
8003385238 xt 626

Old 02-20-2010, 07:21 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess you can lock for it at a lincoln dealer aswell.

If i´m not to far out here the s-type and the lincoln LS share a lot of parts. not sure about the engine though. Bit if the lincoln ls is equipped with an 2,5l v6 it will be the same engine as in the s-type for sure.

And Ford Lincoln parts are generaly alot cheaper

Old 02-20-2010, 07:23 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ooops saw now that is was for an x-type... If you found an Ford Mondeo it will probably have the same engine. so check with your ford dealer

Old 02-21-2010, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by jaggachafen
ooops saw now that is was for an x-type... If you found an Ford Mondeo it will probably have the same engine. so check with your ford dealer

Jaggachafen,Your right the Ford Mondeo ( contour cousin US Market ) has the same Bore as the Jaguar X type 2.5L ( 81.6x79.5 ) .

but its cousin the contour has the same 2.5L Duratec BUT the bore is different (82.4x79.5) piston rings from the contour will not fit and i dont no why the rings are listed also for jaguar 2.5L duratec ive learned the hard way as now i have a set of rings that does not fit, i could do old school filing for the two upper rings but the oil ring is way off, so looks like i have to hunt down a euro market ford mondeo.( years still unkown- Im still googling it )

Dealer wants $88 + an order charge and tax per Piston, thats about $600 for piston rings!!!!!!!!!krazzzzzyyyy!!!! if it comes down to that looks like i will be hunting down a 3.0L Block from a LS.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:57 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Just a thought -- why are you just replacing the piston rings? If it's to cut oil consumption, it's likely not to work, it never did for me in my early days! It was explained to me that the bores wear in a peculiar way, less at the top and more at the bottom, and more at the sides because of the power thrust against the inertia of the crank/flywheel. The only way was to rebore, and fit new oversize pistons which came with rings fitted. There were I remember some oil-control expander rings, plus a stepped top compression ring available to help. And the pistons could have their skirts cut and expanded to fit the worn bores better, but none of it lasted long, you were back to a rebore before long. But for all I know, you might just have a busted ring to replace.
Leedsman.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Leedsman
Just a thought -- why are you just replacing the piston rings? If it's to cut oil consumption, it's likely not to work, it never did for me in my early days! It was explained to me that the bores wear in a peculiar way, less at the top and more at the bottom, and more at the sides because of the power thrust against the inertia of the crank/flywheel. The only way was to rebore, and fit new oversize pistons which came with rings fitted. There were I remember some oil-control expander rings, plus a stepped top compression ring available to help. And the pistons could have their skirts cut and expanded to fit the worn bores better, but none of it lasted long, you were back to a rebore before long. But for all I know, you might just have a busted ring to replace.
Leedsman.

leedsman, its not for oil consumption ,the block has little or no wear at all i had the block inspected at a machine shop rehoned and cleaned up. the car(not me) hit a high curb and kept on driving not knowing the radiator was leaking there where no lights on the dash that came on, long story short my heads had to be shaved( BAD OVERHEAT ), the top piston ring failed and shrank into the grove where it belongs.

im not going to play around anymore with 2.5L there is little engine parts and if any there made of pure gold and the cost is over my roof.

Ive just p/u a 2004 3.0L engine from a lincoln LS at local pick a part(28K miles) and i payed only $150 for a complete engine minus the trans. Im going to swap a few parts over and get a 3.0L computer with matching keys & hope it works, if not its going on ebay for $500.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:23 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

I dont know any reason you would need a 3.0 computer. The stock ecu can add up to 20% additonal fuel on both short and long term fuel trim. .5 litre is not much. I just dont really know how close the ls engine truely inside inside as far as timing of vvts, cams, and signals used. I have over the years seen people think stuff from the ls directly swaps over and it doesnt. Window regulator do but sway bar bushings do not, and talking to friends that work at dual dealerships (ford/jag) they say the ls engine is not as advanced. But for your intensive hard engine part requirments (long block) your might be ok, i would just tread carefully

Old 02-28-2010, 10:09 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
I dont know any reason you would need a 3.0 computer. The stock ecu can add up to 20% additonal fuel on both short and long term fuel trim. .5 litre is not much. I just dont really know how close the ls engine truely inside inside as far as timing of vvts, cams, and signals used. I have over the years seen people think stuff from the ls directly swaps over and it doesnt. Window regulator do but sway bar bushings do not, and talking to friends that work at dual dealerships (ford/jag) they say the ls engine is not as advanced. But for your intensive hard engine part requirments (long block) your might be ok, i would just tread carefully

BRUTAL i just PM You!!

as for anyone that reading this topic, I have not dropped the engine in YET, but i did go thru just about everything. I counted teeth on cams/chain,swapped the intake,front cover,exhaust and some other odds n ends like the water outlet and block center cap cover. but so far its a match-up. and yes i think your right BRUTAL about the ecu. I will cross my fingers when i drop it in and start her up, hopefully it does not blow-up!!!!!!! im also taking picture's of everything so if everythings ok i will post soon & hopefully help someone else that wants to do the swap..

The following users liked this post:
Kasey penrod (07-27-2022)
Old 02-28-2010, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by *****-k
BRUTAL i just PM You!!

as for anyone that reading this topic, I have not dropped the engine in YET, but i did go thru just about everything. I counted teeth on cams/chain,swapped the intake,front cover,exhaust and some other odds n ends like the water outlet and block center cap cover. but so far its a match-up. and yes i think your right BRUTAL about the ecu. I will cross my fingers when i drop it in and start her up, hopefully it does not blow-up!!!!!!! im also taking picture's of everything so if everythings ok i will post soon & hopefully help someone else that wants to do the swap..

Will do the drop in NEXT Weekend, will keep all of you posted.