X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help! Problems with Brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 09:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help! Problems with Brakes.

( Jaguar 2006 X-type - added by GGG )

I just replaced the rear break and I think the mechanic used the wrong break fluid. So he bleed the fluid out but problem still there; thus yesterday I replaced the whole front break except for the power break booster; drove for 20 min; my car was clogged with burning smell and smoke came out in the front; called for towing and my mechanic told me to order the power break booster; PLEASE let me know if I replace the Power break booster; the problem will be solved. Thanks a million.

Last edited by GGG; 04-10-2016 at 02:42 AM.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

What was the original problem? Were the brakes noisy? Did the car not stop? was the pedal hard to push?

Smoke and burning smell from the brakes is not normal. Is the smell a "dry metallic burning" or smell like an oil fire?

I can't see how replacing the booster would stop smoke or a burning smell. The Booster is just a vacuum assist. When you push the brakes, the vacuum helps you push the pedal. The Vacuum comes from the motor.

If a Booster is bad, there would be reduced vacuum assist on the pedal and the engine could have a vacuum leak that would cause it to run rough, but generally not smoke or have a burning smell.

The following users liked this post:
Nina Luong (04-10-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Get a new mechanic. Brake problems are not brain surgery and it appears you have a worse problem now than when you started. Get someone who can pinpoint the precise problem not throw money and parts at a guess.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:49 PM
Received 266 Likes on 198 Posts

I agree - your mechanic is either clueless or trying to rip you off. If he can't do a basic brake job, then he shouldn't be working as a mechanic.

You do need to explain what the original problem was, rather than just saying it was still aparrent!

Old 04-09-2016, 06:43 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

One of two things when the work was done either the first time or the second time fluid was spilling over and it got onto the exhaust system or the master cylinder is leaking

Old 04-09-2016, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

Hum, we had a post like this recently, new member, first post, an ODD problem we don't see here, broken English. Just saying....

Old 04-09-2016, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by brgjag
Hum, we had a post like this recently, new member, first post, an ODD problem we don't see here, broken English. Just saying....
It is odd, but because XK8's can be had for cheap (there are currently at least 5 running, un-wrecked, un-rusted XK8's on my local CL for less than $5K OBO), have brake rotors and/or pads that get chewed up and have multiple ways to emit burning smells, it all sounds pretty plausible.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:50 PM
Received 12,726 Likes on 6,374 Posts

Hi Nina,

I have moved your thread from the forum for the X100 to the forum for the X400, which is the Jaguar factory project code for your 2006 X-Type. Here you will find knowledgeable owners of similar cars.

I have also added to your thread title the fact that your request for help has to do with brake problems so other members will have an idea of whether they may be able to offer any suggestions.

Cheers,

Don

Old 04-10-2016, 02:44 AM
GGG
Received 16,769 Likes on 12,156 Posts

Originally Posted by Nina Luong
..........I just replaced the rear break and I think the mechanic used the wrong break fluid. .......
Welcome to the forum Nina,

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Nina Luong (04-10-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 04:48 AM
Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Hello Nina , I can see this is your first post and therefore may not be as clear as you would think it to be . So , if you can , could you tell us why ,

You had the rear brakes replaced
What problem you had " after " they were replaced
What part of the front brakes you replaced
Was the smoke coming from the front wheels

Driving the car for only 20 minutes on new brake pads , will cause a burning smell and can cause smoke from the wheels , this is normal as the new brake pads are trying to bed in ( settle in ) .

At this stage I would think a new brake booster is not necessary ,

So , before we shoot the mechanic , lets try and get the FULL story .

Cheers ,

Sid

Nina Luong (04-10-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 11:57 AM

Hello;
Thank you very much for your help. Here is a full story:
My mechanic told me I need to replace the rear break: R+L Rotors; R+L break Calibers+pads. Right after that the car was clogged (the mechanic said he used the universal break fluid); for a week my car was running as rough as "sneezed nose" and from time to time it didn't want to run at all. I took the car back for him to bleed the fluid out and replaced with DOT4 break fluid for Jaguar; the problem still the same.

I took my car to get the second opinion from an other mechanic and he said the 1st mechanic had used the wrong break fluid; and advised me to replace the whole FRONT break (rotors R+L; Calibers R+L; break hoses; and master cylinder.) and of-course 1L of DOT4 fluid.

After driving around 25 mins; there was smoke and burning smell from the front break; and the car ran very rough; I was scared and just stopped the car and called for towing.

I called the mechanic and he told me that I need to order the Break Power Booster? That why I was trying to get help from the Jaguarforums. Again thank you very much for your time.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:09 PM
Default break problem.

Thank you very much for your help. This is the first time I got problem with my car. It was running fine before I replaced the rear break. Sometimes the pedal is hard to push; but not all the times. Sometimes the car runs 60-70 MPH easily and sometimes it isn't run even when I push the gas pedal (break clogged???)
I know none about car engine; and so scare and don't know what to do at this point? Should I order the Break Power Booster?

Thank you

Originally Posted by Ungn
What was the original problem? Were the brakes noisy? Did the car not stop? was the pedal hard to push?

Smoke and burning smell from the brakes is not normal. Is the smell a "dry metallic burning" or smell like an oil fire?

I can't see how replacing the booster would stop smoke or a burning smell. The Booster is just a vacuum assist. When you push the brakes, the vacuum helps you push the pedal. The Vacuum comes from the motor.

If a Booster is bad, there would be reduced vacuum assist on the pedal and the engine could have a vacuum leak that would cause it to run rough, but generally not smoke or have a burning smell.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Nina, there are a number of people here that will try and help you, but we need a little better description of just what your situation is. It almost sounds like you might have an issue unrelated to the brakes or in addition to that issue.

"My mechanic told me I need to replace the rear break: R+L Rotors; R+L break Calibers+pads." -Why did he say they needed to be replaced? Were they worn Were you having trouble braking? Were there warning lights on your dash? Give a little background on why he said those needed to be replaced.

"Right after that the car was clogged" -What do you mean by "clogged" Was the car running rough? Could you only accelerate slowly and the car would not go above 3K on the tach? Were there any lights showing on your dash?

Are your brakes working right now? Do they stop the car? Does the pedal feel the same when you press it as before you started having issues or is it very soft with little resistance?

When you smelled burning and saw smoke was it coming from a wheel area and, if so, was that wheel very hot compared to the others?

If you have any check engine lights showing on your dash see if you can have the codes read and post here. That will aid immensely in helping diagnose your issue(s)

Old 04-10-2016, 06:00 PM
Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Nina , given your limited experience of cars , let alone brakes , I would suggest you take the car to some who understands Jaguars and more importantly can sort out your problems
without creating more .

Good luck with that ,