X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

plz help

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plz help

ok I just bought my wife her first jag, got a 02 x type, which I know nothing about but I was looking the car over and noticed that both rear wheels are slanted inwards at the top of the tire a good bit does any one know what could be my problem, I figured I would ask some people with experience on jags first.. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

Start by reading these two threads.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rite-up-68023/
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...le+control+arm

As a new owner you will find plenty of information here that can save you dollars. Please take a moment and stop by the new members area New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

The following users liked this post:
owstonr (12-15-2013)
Old 12-13-2013, 09:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by owstonr
ok I just bought my wife her first jag, got a 02 x type, which I know nothing about but I was looking the car over and noticed that both rear wheels are slanted inwards at the top of the tire a good bit does any one know what could be my problem, I figured I would ask some people with experience on jags first.. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Yes go with Lower control arms I replaced those and it straightened my back two tires out nicely.

I bought my parts from here, really cheap compared to close by jag dealers

http://www.gaudinjaguarparts.com/par...?siteid=214626

owstonr (12-15-2013)
Old 12-14-2013, 07:51 AM

well thanks for the info, we just got a pretty good snow here in ohio and when I drive down the road you can feel the rear end sway side to side because the tires,

Old 12-14-2013, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

After you replace the control arms make sure you also get an alignment and you should be golden.

owstonr (12-15-2013)
Old 12-14-2013, 02:32 PM

ok cool I was just wondering if I would need one after I did it but you answered my question before I even asked, Thanks a lot for all the help

Old 12-15-2013, 08:00 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

owstonr, what part of Ohio are you from? I drive back to Swanton (just outside Toledo) periodically and I know spotting Jags back in that area are few and far between. Mine would be easy to spot as it has the Sport paint job and would have Maryland Tags on it.

Based on what you are describing, you need to replace the lower/forward control arm on the rear suspension. That should get the car back to where it needs to be. But, with that being said, you may find that after getting the alignment done, the tops of the tires are still going to lean in slightly. It isn't that big of a deal overall. But, if you want to fix that, you need to replace the upper control arm too on each side. You have 2 options when it comes to that arm. You can go with the factory arm or we have found some arms from off of the same year Volvo S40 that will work for you and if you get the aftermarket Volvo arm, they are adjustable. I was one of them that figured this out and have spread the word. So, if you have any questions, let me know.

GO BUCKEYES!!!!!!!!

owstonr (12-15-2013)
Old 12-15-2013, 04:39 PM

thermo, I live in springfield, between Dayton and Columbus. I don't see too many jags driving around here at all more Hondas than anything. I have seen different styles of upper control arms for this car there is a curved style and I also saw a straight on and I don't know which I should go with, and ideas, I will check into the Volvo ones also if I have too, but is there anyway to check the control arms first because now that you mention the lowers ones I went and looked at the car and it looks as if the bottom of the tire is sticking out a little further then the body of the car and I want to replace both eventually but I want to start with the worse one first.
Thanks

Old 12-15-2013, 07:25 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

owstonr, the best advice that I can tell you is to lift a rear tire off of the ground and first start by putting your hands at the 3 and 9 o'clock position. Now, lock your arms and try to twist the wheel such that you would be trying to make both rear tire treads look at each other. Do you get any movement? If yes, then you are looking at either a bad wheel bearing or a bad lower/forward arm. This is where having a second person with you will help you identify where the movement is coming from. You can go back and forth to get the most amount of play. In short, if you can see the movement with your eye, then you have too much play and that part needs to be replaced.

Next, using a 2x4 (or other suitable prying device), place it under the tire and try to push the bottom of the tire under the car (make sure not to push so hard you push the vehicle off of the jack stand). Do you see movement this way? If so, you are looking at a bad wheel bearing or the upper control arm has some play. If it moves, it needs replacing.

owstonr (12-15-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 02:12 PM

Well Thermo I looked at the control arms on the rear and it is the lower like you said the rubber bushing is completely shoot.. thanks again for your help