X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Popping Noise and Poor Idle when cold

Old 12-12-2013, 11:30 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Popping Noise and Poor Idle when cold

I have a 2002, 2.5 X Type, 70,000 on the odometer. Earlier this fall it began to have the classic signs of intake gasket failure including rough idle and misfires when cold. I replaced the intake manifold gaskets as well as the two large o rings know as the EMT gaskets. I also througly checked for vacuum leaks included the brake booster lines and found no leaks. I also inspected the large vacuum hose that conducts the PVC flow and found no leaks. I did install clamps on the hose just to make sure it seals tight. After replacing the six upper intake manifold gaskets the problem disappeared however now that Winter has set in Minnesota and temps are consistently in the range -10 to -15 F nightly the problem has come back.

The car starts fine but refuses to fast idle as it should it struggles and pops at 400-500 rpms and eventually gets it's groove and runs good after about two minutes, if it doesn't kill. It sometimes kicks off codes like 300, 302, (misfires) It only behaves like this after sitting all night in the subzero cold it doesn't do it after it warmed up and cooled down during the day. ( I did replace the coolant temperature sensor ) PS, I did replace the plugs about 10k ago and the air filter as well and am using 5-30 oil.

Tonight, I am installing an engine heater to plug in overnight. Maybe these cars just cant handle the Global Warming, I have lived in Minnesota all long life and cant recollect many winters when the fierce cold came so early and has persisted without a respite.
Maybe these cars just are made for cold climates? The window washer portals on the hood constantly freeze up and have to freed up with hot water whilst someone hold the actuator button down.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

PS, Don't listen to anyone who says the World is warming: it's not!!! Believe what you see and experience not what you are told. We in the Central US are having record breaking cold for weeks at a time very early in the year.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bostongrun
I have a 2002, 2.5 X Type, 70,000 on the odometer. Earlier this fall it began to have the classic signs of intake gasket failure including rough idle and misfires when cold. I replaced the intake manifold gaskets as well as the two large o rings know as the EMT gaskets. I also througly checked for vacuum leaks included the brake booster lines and found no leaks. I also inspected the large vacuum hose that conducts the PVC flow and found no leaks. I did install clamps on the hose just to make sure it seals tight. After replacing the six upper intake manifold gaskets the problem disappeared however now that Winter has set in Minnesota and temps are consistently in the range -10 to -15 F nightly the problem has come back. The car starts fine but refuses to fast idle as it should it struggles and pops at 400-500 rpms and eventually gets it's groove and runs good after about two minutes, if it doesn't kill. It sometimes kicks off codes like 300, 302, (misfires) It only behaves like this after sitting all night in the subzero cold it doesn't do it after it warmed up and cooled down during the day. ( I did replace the coolant temperature sensor ) PS, I did replace the plugs about 10k ago and the air filter as well and am using 5-30 oil. Tonight, I am installing an engine heater to plug in overnight. Maybe these cars just cant handle the Global Warming, I have lived in Minnesota all long life and cant recollect many winters when the fierce cold came so early and has persisted without a respite. Maybe these cars just are made for cold climates? The window washer portals on the hood constantly freeze up and have to freed up with hot water whilst someone hold the actuator button down. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. PS, Don't listen to anyone who says the World is warming: it's not!!! Believe what you see and experience not what you are told. We in the Central US are having record breaking cold for weeks at a time very early in the year.
Wow dude you just described my car...literally same exact issue..it'll start but I for sure have to throttle it to 1500grand for about 30 seconds or else the rpm's will fall to 500-400 car starts to feel like it's going to die, and then I get the rough idle until it warms up. I did notice this morning (-5 degrees) that my exhaust sounded like it was sputtering..that probably from the rough idle? I'm putting in some new plugs dbl plat autolites this weekend hopefully that will help.. I have 03 2.5 xtype 139,500 miles

So far only thing I found was a bit of oil in my spark plug wells, cleaned that up but still seems to be happening..I'm thinking maybe the regulator isn't good?? That's with the alternator I believe..I replaced IMT o-rings, so running out of ideas.

Last edited by Noxparadise; 12-12-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Simple physics may offer a clue.

Originally Posted by bostongrun
...After replacing the six upper intake manifold gaskets the problem disappeared however now that Winter has set in Minnesota and temps are consistently in the range -10 to -15 F nightly the problem has come back...
My '02 X-Type 2.5 Sport also has the identical (yearly) issue, which completely disappears (with no apparent residual effects) in warmer temperatures.

I believe Richard Feynman (R.I.P.) may have a clue to the X-Type's various mysterious vaccuum related cold weather issues;

Old 12-13-2013, 01:18 PM

Hmm wow interesting..I wonder if there is any thing else that can be done, it is a problem in cold weather

Old 12-13-2013, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Sounds like you both have some other issues going on, whether it is a vacuum leak, coils, plugs, throttle body,whatever, but it is certainly not normal. I have had my car over 5 years and never had anything like that happen in the winter. Maybe time to take it in to a trusted mechanic to get to the bottom of it.

Hope you can get to the bottom of it soon.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (01-31-2014)
Old 12-13-2013, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Sounds like you both have some other issues going on, whether it is a vacuum leak, coils, plugs, throttle body,whatever, but it is certainly not normal. I have had my car over 5 years and never had anything like that happen in the winter. Maybe time to take it in to a trusted mechanic to get to the bottom of it. Hope you can get to the bottom of it soon.
Hmm throttle body doesn't control idle at start up does it? And it's weird because the car will idle about just under a grand and then drop.. I'm changing my intake manifold gaskets/spark plugs tomorrow. Hopefully that'll cure the problem.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default rough idle

hey there im in florida and its starting to get nippy. my car was doing the same and sometimes it even threw the flashing check engine light. after getting tired of dealing with it i performed a full tune up, o-rings, coil packs plugs, airfilter and a serious deep cleaning of the throttle body. it now runs great and warms up just fine in the cold a.m.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping Noise and Poor Idle when cold

I have a 2002 x-type 3.0 , and I am having the same cold start issues. It is slowly getting worse over time. I am getting code errors of miss-fire. I have been watching the forum for some time and don't want to keep changing parts if I am not sure what to change.
After doing some trial and error testing on my own , I noticed that a few minutes of a hair dryer or small propane torch on the intake manifold to warm it just a few degree's , the car starts and runs much better for the real cold starts.

Are there any aftermarket Intake Manifold Gasket Sets that may work better than the OEM Gaskets ?

At this point I should change the spark plugs also, which plugs work the best for the 3.0 x-type ?

I thought it was time to share my experience since it seems there are a few people with 2002 x-types with the same issue of cold starts in the winter only. After the first start in the morning it is good all day even after a few hours of not running.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:38 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I have been going through the same issues all winter long.. Just this morning I had to start it, push the RPM's to 5000 and wait 45 seconds just to get my baby to idle!

Bear in mind these cars are cold-natured and were probably designed to be garage kept.

2003 X-Type with 157,000 miles.. Still running strong once warm.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:01 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

If you can sit in the car for 2 minutes, running it at a 'fast idle' or better and all the symptoms go away, then there is no problem.

(except that it is damned cold out!)

Is all a part of 'Global Warming'. Just pay your Carbon Tax and be quiet.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:04 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by mgroening
I have a 2002 x-type 3.0 , and I am having the same cold start issues. It is slowly getting worse over time. I am getting code errors of miss-fire. I have been watching the forum for some time and don't want to keep changing parts if I am not sure what to change.
After doing some trial and error testing on my own , I noticed that a few minutes of a hair dryer or small propane torch on the intake manifold to warm it just a few degree's , the car starts and runs much better for the real cold starts.

Are there any aftermarket Intake Manifold Gasket Sets that may work better than the OEM Gaskets ?

At this point I should change the spark plugs also, which plugs work the best for the 3.0 x-type ?

I thought it was time to share my experience since it seems there are a few people with 2002 x-types with the same issue of cold starts in the winter only. After the first start in the morning it is good all day even after a few hours of not running.
Change the plugs out.

Problem will be solved.

(Use the plugs spec'd by Jaguar)

Old 01-08-2014, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce in North Dakota
Change the plugs out.

Problem will be solved.

(Use the plugs spec'd by Jaguar)
I am not sure if changing the plugs will change anything.
A few minutes of heating the intake manifold a few degrees warmer solves my problem. (still not sure on the cause) I had the same issues as other people , when it was not to cold out, I could turn off and restart the car after 10 secs of rough idle and it would run perfect, real strange issue.(the computer must compensate for the air leak is my guess on the 2nd start)

If some of the other people out there having the same issue they could try heating there intake manifold alone before a cold start and post there starting results, that may be helpful for all of us with a cold start issue.

Thanks

Old 01-08-2014, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavaman
I have been going through the same issues all winter long.. Just this morning I had to start it, push the RPM's to 5000 and wait 45 seconds just to get my baby to idle!

Bear in mind these cars are cold-natured and were probably designed to be garage kept.

2003 X-Type with 157,000 miles.. Still running strong once warm.
It has nothing to do with being designed to be garage kept. These cars as robust in the snow and cold as anything I have ever owned. You have a 10+ year old car with 157,000 miles on it. Parts are going to need to be replaced after that long of a time. Check the intake manifold gaskets. Sounds like a vacuum leak if after it warms up and something maybe expands and seals up. If this is your "baby" take it to a mechanic to diagnose and fix. Issues like these will not disappear on their own. They will only get worse. Right now it is minor enough that it is intermittent only at start up in the cold, but leave it as is, it will eventually affect the overall drivability.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Hi Guys,

The washers will freeze with cheap screenwash, there are really good fluids out there and you can always cover the car in extreme weathers.

One neat trick I found was parking my car next to the kitchen or bathroom vents that discharge warm air alongside my meigbours house (on the drive), and I found I was the only person on the street who actually got up, got in the car and went to work in one foul swoop!!
Everybody else seemed to be rather busy

In times of seriously foul weather there is always the unknown, what I can see is that if you try to minimise the risks and seek advise there is plenty out there and people will in general be a lot happier AND SAFER!!!

Thanks Guys! Stu

Old 02-10-2014, 10:06 AM
Default Solved 2002 Jaguar x-type 3.0 rough idle on cold start.

Solved rough idle popping sounds on cold start. !!!!!

This problem came on real slow over years and slowly got worse.
it used to run rough at first cold start in the fall, Turn the car off and it would run perfect on the second start. That was with only running 10 seconds on the first start, so there was no chance for the motor to warm.

I was getting misfire codes and o2 sensor codes, I did not believe it was the plugs or the intake gaskets because the problem went away on the second start.

Slowing over time the problem did not go away on the 2nd start, and did not run good till the motor started to warm.

It got to the point I had to put the hair dryer on to warm the intake manifold to start the car without rough running. And I knew then it really was the intake manifold gaskets. The shops were recommending changing o2 sensors, and other sensors

I changed the upper and lower intake Manifold gaskets, and the plugs while I was in there, The old plugs looked nice a clean. So I am sure it was my gaskets leaking, not old plugs causing the problem, but did change plugs while I was in there.

Lots of posts of how to do the job on the forums.

I used Fel-Pro Ms96494, Fel-Pro MS96485 Autolite Double Platinum APP605

I did also replace the pcv valve when I was in there also. Nothing more.

I am proud to report the car starts and runs perfect at extreme cold temps, I am in Canada and you can trust me it is COLD LOL

Thanks to everyone for the help, I hope this helps other people.