Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power steering problems x type 04 year

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering problems x type 04 year

hi i have a x type 2.0 d 2004 yom ,i had a power steering leak ,and
replaced the union nut holding the pipe into the top of the power steering pump , this nut has o rings in it , after replacing the nut /union
i started the car and as soon as i turned the steering wheel the pipe blew out of the union , i have had the rack checked and it was reported ok

i have now bought a new pipe and a new nut/union but not yet fitted it yet
is there a procedure for bleeding the power steering or has anyone else come across this problem

any info will be much appriciated

all the best john

Old 05-14-2011, 08:35 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Randor, as for bleeding the steering system, simply turning the steering wheel a few times is all that is needed to get the air out.

As for the union/nut blowing out, this can be caused by 1 of two things normally. YOu either had inferior materials or the threads were damaged during a repair/initial installation. Because on your replacement the union failed immediately, I would venture to guess you had installed an aluminum union when a (stainless) steel union is required. The power steering system does run on a fairly high pressure, so, the weaker metals like aluminum may not be adequate unless specifically designed for the higher pressures.

As for bad threads, you had the rack inspected and reported as good, so, I can feel fairly certain that it wasn't that. Keep in mind that there are lots of different thread types/styles, so, you need to make sure you get the correct union that is specific to the application.

HOpefully you can get this resolved. Also, welcome to the forums. I think you will find lots of useful information around here. Keep looking around and you will find all sorts of information that you will find useful. Get a cup of Joe and look around. Enjoy. We also ask that you stop by the "New Member" forum and properly introduce yourself there. I think you will find this very beneficial.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi thermo , thanks for the info , the union was a jaguar dealer part ,so the spec
should be ok ,i have just spoken to my brother in law who works on land rover and rangerovers and he said he had come across steering pumps giving out to much preasure
and blowing joints /pipes so i will change the pump and give that a try

all the best and thanks again randor6