Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with new key from eBay

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with new key from eBay

Hi,

Here is another doubt. Few days ago I bought a key from eBay. Well, I can program without problems the fob buttons and use it to open, close... And I can insert the key and the touchscreen and lights turn on but when I try to turn the key to start the engine it´s doesn´t start and I receive a message in the tachometer: SECURITY FAILED and the red light there is turned on and the red light near the parkbrake flickers. Why it happens? Could I solve it? Is it neccessary to go to the Jaguar Retailer to be able to use the new key?

Thank you for the support!

Regards,

Old 12-12-2007, 03:34 PM
Received 136 Likes on 79 Posts
Default RE: Problems with new key from eBay

Fob and key electronics are separate. The dealer has to program the key. How did you get it cut for your car?

Old 12-12-2007, 04:04 PM

OK. I also try changing the blade to use mine but nothing. So I´ll visit the dealer to fix it.

PD. The seller offers the option to cut the key only seeing a picture from mine he knows how to cut.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:41 AM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not familiar with Jag's system, but having a Contour, we have a PATs system (something like passive anti-intrusive theft system, or something along those lines). Basically, there's a chip in the key itself that needs to be programmed. If you put a non-programmed key into the ignition it kicks off a flickering PATs light w/no start (most other accessories function, however), similar to what your issue is.

You have to get it programmed. I'm willing to be it'll cost a lot from Jag, though you never know. Just to give you a heads up, Ford usually does it for around ~$50-100 for programming for another key. (Fortunately, I got around years ago at $20, I got like 2 keys done at that price!).

Not sure how helpful this is, but I hope it gives you something to gauge off of. Let us know what the outcome is, as I'm interested in knowing how Jag does it.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:06 AM

I too am interested in this, as well as the guy from eBay you got it from. When I purchsed my Jag, I only received 1 key and the replacement from the local dealship is $360.00, so anyway I can cut a few bucks from it, I would be curious to know.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:52 AM

OK, well I give myself the solution I have found it on another forum. Copy-paste here:

It seems it is not possible unless you have access to the Jag IDS system unless you have two keys and are adding a third. If that is the case then you can do it yourself.

Quote:

To program additional PATS keys, a minimum of two valid keys must be available(if only one key is available, it will be erased and reprogrammed with the new key).

1) Insert the first valid key and turn to the run position for a maximum of five seconds, then turn to off and remove the key.
2) Within ten seconds of removing the first key, insert the second valid key and turn to the run position for a maximum of five seconds, then turn to off and remove the key.
3) To program the third (additional) key, insert the key and turn to the run position within twenty seconds of removing the second key, allow the PATS LED to prove out for three seconds to confirm storage of the additional key, then turn to off and remove the key.

This method can be used to store up to a maximum of 8 ignition keys.

And now it´s working perfectly I have been able to do it myself as I had two keys before buy this one; I buy the new one as one older had broken fob. If you only have one then I understand it isn´t possible to program the new one yourself. The blade won´t work and you need to visit the Jaguar dealer to program it (I don´t know how cheaper or expensive it wouldbe).

Itchy I send you the ebay sellerlink by PM as I don´t know if the forum laws allows to write it here.

Regards,

Old 12-13-2007, 02:52 PM

I'm in the same boat here needing to program a freshly cut key. Is there a way to program an additional key w/o deleting the valid oneas I only have one valid key now?

Also I have a manual 3.0 trans and need to swap out a leather boot I ordered on eBay and install the new ashtray I picked up at Jag. Does anyone know how to remove the boot and center console in a 2002 X w/manual trans?

Old 12-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

the shift boot just pulls up.

open the ashtray. gently pry the boot surround up and it will come free. it is attached to the shifter, so you will have to look under it to see how to remove it. at this point you can also remove the 2 screws that hold the ashtray in and swap them.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

$360??? WTF??? When I had mine replaced for the same reason at Jaguar of Novi the lady in service said it'd be 150 for the new key and programming???? Don't know why they feel the urge to rape you??? That is way too much to pay for that key! BTW that was a brand new fob and they programmed it. If they say no what year car is yours? Let them know you only have one fob and than tell them the fob keeps acting funny and sometimes doesn't work (as long as it is an older x as there was a tsb on the fobs or a recall I'm not sure, I just know mine was fixed) Oh yeah and to add salt to the wound they charged the dealer I bought the car from around 69 or 70 bucks for that same key!

Old 12-13-2007, 06:32 PM

To program additional PATS keys, a minimum of two valid keys must be available(if only one key is available, it will be erased and reprogrammed with the new key).

1) Insert the first valid key and turn to the run position for a maximum of five seconds, then turn to off and remove the key.
2) Within ten seconds of removing the first key, insert the second valid key and turn to the run position for a maximum of five seconds, then turn to off and remove the key.
3) To program the third (additional) key, insert the key and turn to the run position within twenty seconds of removing the second key, allow the PATS LED to prove out for three seconds to confirm storage of the additional key, then turn to off and remove the key.

This method can be used to store up to a maximum of 8 ignition keys.
Hah, this is from the Contour forum. Looks like it's the same configuration. Yep, have to have two keys in order to make a copy using the ignition method.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:20 PM

Nineball,

Thanks for the ashtray help. The cigarette lighter was a bitch! I couldn't figure out how to get the light bulb holder off of the lighter holder so I ended up breaking it to put the new ashtray in place.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$360,$200,heck $100... are these people smoking crack. have to call dealer tomorrow about seat rocking on 02 sport, would like a 2nd key, what a load. I can't believe this b.s. don't they realise we talk to other humans and will tell them what kind of b.s. this is?

Old 12-14-2007, 02:26 AM

ORIGINAL: billinohio

$360,$200,heck $100... are these people smoking crack. have to call dealer tomorrow about seat rocking on 02 sport, would like a 2nd key, what a load. I can't believe this b.s. don't they realise we talk to other humans and will tell them what kind of b.s. this is?
Yeah, I expected it to be outrageous due to the Jaguar name. $360 is a bit questionable. However, $100 seems like a decent deal, IMO. For a Ford they are asking like $50-100. The machine does cost an arseload from what the dealer told me. I had the same question when I was originally shopping around for a replacement.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:16 AM

Yeah, I could not beleive it either, I will be major screwed if I loose this one, and really need a second key.

Thanks for the link, but I only have one Key, so I think the proceedure described will not work for me. Got to look into other options here as well.

aquill1, mine is an 03 X Type and that quote was from the local dealer, I almost crapped my pants when I heard about it. Actually its one of the reasons I went hunting for the Jag forum.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:26 AM

Hhm. I have two working keys, but the fobs dont work. I tried programming them with info found on the web, but no luck. Should I lube up and let the dealer rape me? How much will they charge to program fobs? (What the heck does fob stand for anyway?)

Old 12-14-2007, 11:05 AM

If I were you guys, I would 1.) Call all the local Jaguar dealerships and start matching prices to try to get the price down. 2.) Call up Ford dealerships. I see them selling used Jaguars all the time. They may do it themselves or may of know of another cost-effective alternative. Just hope they don't say they get their programming done through Jaguar dealers!!!

Old 12-14-2007, 12:08 PM

ORIGINAL: ShaguarNYC

Hhm. I have two working keys, but the fobs dont work. I tried programming them with info found on the web, but no luck. Should I lube up and let the dealer rape me? How much will they charge to program fobs? (What the heck does fob stand for anyway?)
I suppose you tried it but here the info:

1)Insert the key and turn to position I.
2)Quickly turn the key to position II and back to I (repeat four times)
3)You should hear a confirmation tone.
4)Turn the key all the way back and remove.
5)Now press any button on the key fobs to be added (you must do all the Fobs at the same time) and you should hear a confirmation tone for each.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:48 PM

ORIGINAL: racaz

ORIGINAL: ShaguarNYC

I suppose you tried it but here the info:

1)Insert the key and turn to position I.
2)Quickly turn the key to position II and back to I (repeat four times)
3)You should hear a confirmation tone.
4)Turn the key all the way back and remove.
5)Now press any button on the key fobs to be added (you must do all the Fobs at the same time) and you should hear a confirmation tone for each.
yep. I changed the batteries first Still, no luck. It hasnt really bothered me yet, but eventually I'll probably have the dealer rip me off and get them programmed. I was just curious how much they'd charge. I'll e-mail them now and see.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:32 AM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

i sell you guys some remotes if you'd like

Old 12-15-2007, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shaguar tell them your cars fobs are having problems and you heard there was a tsb or recall on them.
Searched google and one of nineballs posts from roadfly popped up...here's the linky
Not sure though if its just my 02 or others as well...let them know its worth a shot either way...

Quick Reply: Problems with new key from eBay