X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project 3M Di-Noc Interior Carbon Fiber

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 08:27 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by exexpat
I probably would have said the same thing before I covered everything and didn't hate the wood. This one is nearly as polarizing as the fender side vents, so I know I'm doing things right.

I actually don't mind the charcoal metallic painted plastics. I think it cheapens it when people spray those flat black (like that guy who keeps posting multiple identical pictures of it every chance he gets). For me, the big debate was whether to leave the little facia with the heated seats buttons charcoal metallic or weave. I chose weave, but I may take that off.
How about weave for the entire center console area? Your workmanship is outstanding though
!

Old 12-16-2010, 05:26 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

looks great i love it... did you use matte or glossy finish....i just ordered the matte finish for mine

Old 12-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by j_bond
www.stickercity.com has many colors, even has colors with a high gloss clearcoat... I just ordered some of that in black. I'm going to try and 'piano-black' my carbon fiber dash with it.
I'd like to see the piano black please!

Old 12-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I like it.

I think you should add it to the radio facia though.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:34 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
I like it.

I think you should add it to the radio facia though.

I did already.... i think.... have you seen the images in 'my garage?' i have already piano-blacked radio area, as well as the door panels.

I'll be attempting to gloss black all of the carbon fiber pieces next.

wait, are you talking to me ? lol or exepat???

Old 12-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

I did already.... i think.... have you seen the images in 'my garage?' i have already piano-blacked radio area, as well as the door panels.

I'll be attempting to gloss black all of the carbon fiber pieces next.

wait, are you talking to me ? lol or exepat???
I actually was talking about Jeremy's dash, it's gotta be go big or go home, I can understand he wants to keep the original text on the heater part but CF the rest, especially around that PC dash piece he has, almost flat and it would look trick.

Mr Bond, I like what you did, I think I might agree with you and black laquer the whole dash, I like the center portion and it contrasts nicely with the CF but it might look better without the contrast and yours would be completely unique. I personally like the wood, but I've likely got several years on you and it makes me feel like I should be sporting a pipe, jaunty driving cap and tweed jacket. I wish there was a woodgrain kit to do around the heater controls and radio and back to the center console. Always looks to me like they did the dash then thought 'I'm not cutting around all those buttons, we'll paint it charcoal and nobody will notice'.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

I actually was talking about Jeremy's dash, it's gotta be go big or go home, I can understand he wants to keep the original text on the heater part but CF the rest, especially around that PC dash piece he has, almost flat and it would look trick.
Just because you are local and like to nag, I'll attempt to cover the heater controls and PC facia. I do need to declare amnesty on the facets of the PC piece, because I don't want to risk something not working with the heat gun on the aftermarket (read "cheap add-on") touch screen.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member

Ha, I just noticed you were from the Great Pacific Northwest! Cool this summer we'll do a meet and greet, I have to see the beast up close.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:13 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm of the few left who LOVES woodgrain.... my XKR will definitely have it. It might be 'old-school,' but I think it's classy and classic.
Because of my affinity for Aston Martin's the Piano-Gloss Black has become another favorite look of mine as well. Hopefully I can pull it off with the install, but I have my doubts.... I had a hard enough time installing a pre-cut, pre-fabbed kit onto the radio area! LOL
I'll keep you all posted with pix too.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member

I'm of the few left who LOVES woodgrain.... my XKR will definitely have it. It might be 'old-school,' but I think it's classy and classic.
Because of my affinity for Aston Martin's the Piano-Gloss Black has become another favorite look of mine as well. Hopefully I can pull it off with the install, but I have my doubts.... I had a hard enough time installing a pre-cut, pre-fabbed kit onto the radio area! LOL
I'll keep you all posted with pix too.
I love woodgrain, too. I just didn't like that stark of contrast. If it was a dark grey burlwood stain, I would have left it.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:57 AM
Veteran Member

These two pieces were almost as difficult as the rest combined:

After a few attempts, I figured out the trick is to use 3M blue masking tape and piece by piece create stencils of the heater controls and stereo trim. once that was done, I could lay the stencils on the vinyl and cut very carefully with very good scissors. It's about 98% perfect, but better fitment-wise than most aftermarket dash trim kits I've applied. Ugh - honestly I'm not sure it was`worth the effort, but it looks unique. Can I get a golf clap?

Last edited by exexpat; 12-19-2010 at 04:01 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Jeremy, not only a but a as well. You do very nice work.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks. I wasn't expecting a woot.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:32 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Very nicely done.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:12 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Can't argue with the results, looks pretty cool. It miiiiiiight be a little much to have the whole interior wrapped in it long term though. You may be over it way before you actually decide to take it off because of all the work you put into it. That's my initial reaction.. Can I haz daytime pics? I think you and J Bond are competing for best interior.

PS. Jealous of your heated seats. I'm freezing my *** off down here!

Old 12-20-2010, 01:27 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Update:

XJR knob. Thanks, Mr. Bond.
looks amazing, if you can pull the headunit and do around that properly it would looks even better.

this is the one thing i dont like, i would have the cf going the same direction.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:48 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

These two pieces were almost as difficult as the rest combined:

After a few attempts, I figured out the trick is to use 3M blue masking tape and piece by piece create stencils of the heater controls and stereo trim. once that was done, I could lay the stencils on the vinyl and cut very carefully with very good scissors. It's about 98% perfect, but better fitment-wise than most aftermarket dash trim kits I've applied. Ugh - honestly I'm not sure it was`worth the effort, but it looks unique. Can I get a golf clap?
Wow! Impossible not to love that car.

How about changing the head unit graphics and color scheme to match the jag nav units?

In DC we have a couple of nice shops that do custom work on high end cars. Your stuff is right up there. It would cost a LOT to get this done by them.

The amazing thing is that the X is a pretty inexpensive car, but you've made it 'really' look like a much more expensive car in a very tasteful way.

Hip hip.... Hooray!

Old 12-20-2010, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

Wholly sh** Jeremy

That is fricken awesome, unbelievable, looks complete. I was showing your PC based head unit to a buddy on the weekend. We're both IT consultants so we can appreciate the amount of screwing around to get everything to work. He want's to do mine now but I'm thinkin' it's just too much work!

Your interior looks now what it should have looked like from the factory. Either in woodgrain or CF it should encompass the whole dash and ceter console, like I said it always looked to me like the factory guys did the easy bits and then painted the rest because it was too much work.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ghettomike
looks amazing, if you can pull the headunit and do around that properly it would looks even better.

this is the one thing i dont like, i would have the cf going the same direction.
I've done it properly around the "headunit" (I used quotes because the HU is a Windows 7 PC). I don't mind the direction going the other way, but I may address it.

Originally Posted by aluni2230
Wow! Impossible not to love that car.

How about changing the head unit graphics and color scheme to match the jag nav units?

In DC we have a couple of nice shops that do custom work on high end cars. Your stuff is right up there. It would cost a LOT to get this done by them.

The amazing thing is that the X is a pretty inexpensive car, but you've made it 'really' look like a much more expensive car in a very tasteful way.

Hip hip.... Hooray!
Nah. Remember I work on the Windows product management team, so this is a familiar interface for me. My Jaguar branding is enough in my opinion.

Wholly sh** Jeremy

That is fricken awesome, unbelievable, looks complete. I was showing your PC based head unit to a buddy on the weekend. We're both IT consultants so we can appreciate the amount of screwing around to get everything to work. He want's to do mine now but I'm thinkin' it's just too much work!

Your interior looks now what it should have looked like from the factory. Either in woodgrain or CF it should encompass the whole dash and ceter console, like I said it always looked to me like the factory guys did the easy bits and then painted the rest because it was too much work.
"Wholly sh**?" That means it's entirely crap? "Holy sh**" would mean it was blessed. I did this for you (well, based on your feedback).

Old 12-20-2010, 12:00 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

my bad i missed the pic of it around the car-puter.

Quick Reply: Project 3M Di-Noc Interior Carbon Fiber