X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

prop shaft interchange???

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 08:54 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default prop shaft interchange???

Hello Guys, Which X-Type prop shafts interchange? Hollander shows '02-'04, then '05up?? HOWEVER, after having depended upon their impressive data base in my business for years, I have learned that sometimes one must read between the lines as their interchanges are EXACT i.e. same 'color',same 'smell', unless footnoted with outside field data. I am aware that Jaguar often requires a VIN in order to purchase a part...other makers have the same policy. This policy is two fold. 1.To ensure a correct part. 2. To limit the maker's liability. This requirement does NOT mean that a part does NOT share applications. OK...no more hot air from me. As you all know, we are fortunate to share company with several very knowledgable/highly credentialed Jag Techs as well as many accomplished 'shade tree' wrenches. Hopefully one of you guys have a definitive answer to my question. Respectfully, Andy

Old 02-26-2012, 01:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

In my experience, the prop shafts on these cars can all be interchanged. The only reason that you are seeing 02-04 being separate from everything else is because this is when the x type had a viscous coupling in the drivetrain. They should interchange though

The following users liked this post:
c.3823 (02-26-2012)
Old 02-26-2012, 07:54 AM

Hello disguay, That is also my 'suspicion'. In addition, it seems that the early ones had the most teething problems...always good to know what you are looking at during junkyard expeditions. Cheers, Andy

Old 02-27-2012, 09:15 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what does a viscous coupling do? Is it really a bug deal swapping out a shaft from a 2005 to my 2002? Is there any special part or procedure required?

Old 02-28-2012, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

c.3823, why are you looking for a new prop shaft? If you are trying to get the squealing of the support bearing to stop, you can buy the bearing and have the old one pressed off and the new one pressed on. The bearings are only about $150 for a new bearing so I would recommend that route.

It's not really that big of a deal swapping out a drive shaft, you just don't want to land on you while you're under the car :P. You just disconnect it from the transfer case and the rear diff and then undo the bolts that are holding the support bearing to the chassis. Then the whole thing just comes right out!

Also, the viscous coupling was what they used in 02-03 for their awd system. Basically what would happen is that when the front wheels would slip, it would heat up the fluid in the viscous coupling (making it more viscous) and would lock the coupling thus sending power the the rear wheels. I am not sure how the 04 and up system works because my car is an 02, but I do know that it is mechanical and tends to send most of the power to the rear wheels when sliding. To counter the rwd bias in the 04+ many members just pull their ebrake and then get power to the front. I've heard with stability control in 04+ it also helps.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:36 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where have you seen the bearing for $150? Do you have a part number?

So if I take my shaft to any driveshaft repair place with the bearing they should be able to press it out and install the new one?

Its not like once the old bearing is in it cant come off, right?

Old 02-29-2012, 07:25 AM

Hello disguay...I'm not looking for a new prop shaft...just interested in the interchange. I trust that this answers your question. You are correct in that one should exercise caution when under an automobile. Also, I am very careful around strange dogs and open flames!!! Regards, Andy

Old 02-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

I have a brand new in the box bearing for sale for $15.....pm me if interested

Old 03-31-2012, 11:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pls help...! the info here is extremely helpfull. i have a 02 x type only 74k miles. it had this horrible noise after 30mph and until 60mph. i bought a used rear drive shaft. replaced it. but it was bent. had to take it down. However: i removed the end bearing-like-part at the end, that connects into the front-trany. the worse part of the noise is gone. Now it humms on 4th gear. but im exhausted. I have read a lot in this forum, great info. 1) what do you actually call those bearings? 2) are they even for sale? 3) is my tranny gonna go bad? all the gears shift great. 4) could it be now the rear bearing (didnt replace it) well i am grateful to this forum. here is why: i went to a shop, they said it was the drive shaft, wanted $499 for a rebuil part plus $185 labor. i did it all my self. turns out the rear drive shaft had nothing wrong apparently. it seems the humming noise comes from a small box adjacent to the tranny, its the part that connects to the rear drive shaft. very very puzzled.