Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prospective X-type owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 08:11 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Prospective X-type owner

Hello all!

This vehicle is not for me, but rather my mother. She is near retirement and wanted to drive a status symbol vehicle, and what says status better than a Jaguar?!?!

Anyways, I've been a bit weary towards Jaguar's credibility of the last few years, with numerous complaints and unsatisfied customers from word of mouth. Thus, I turn towards you, the enthusiasts of this platform to give it to me straight.

From my research, I've noticed a trend towards the X-type platform of the 02 to 03 models as being more problematic. Therefore, we are thinking to purchase an 04. It seems Jaguar worked out all the kinks and bugs on the 2004s and up on this platform.

We want something rather reliable and not a repair-shop queen. Is this the car we should be looking into? My mom's heart is settled to this vehicle, but to be honest, I'm not the biggest fan. To me the interior is old and outdated, not even a navigation system for crying out loud, but then again she's the perspective owner, not me!

Thus to condense my message, I'll make it plain and simple:

1.) Is the 2004 X-type a good choice i.e. model year (obviously later models would be better, but it doesn't fit our budget).

2.) Is it worth it for the extra money for a certified vehicle?
-Have people had significant problems with certified vehicles?
-What exactly is the difference? Say we have a minor issue and bring the vehicle in. What do they do differently, if anything?

3.) Is there a list of problems that I should take a look over before purchasing?
What I know thus far:
a.) The tires that came w/them were absolutely horrendous-I can't recall the name, but I believe they were Continental tires.
b.) Some of them have electrical harness issues=nightmare.
c.) Auto tranny was not built very strong
d.) AWD system likes to crap out =nightmare x2!!

4.) Should I go about purchasing from a Jaguar dealership or perhaps a private party who is selling a previously certified vehicle?

Any suggestions, input, advice, is appreciated.

Thanks again guys, hopefully we will become new owners to join the forum.

Best Regards,

-Neil

Old 06-25-2007, 09:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Prospective X-type owner

"what says status better than a Jaguar?!?!"

A Mercedes
A BMW
An Audi
A Lexus

Should you decide to buy a certified, pre-owned vehicle, it will be covered by Jaguars Select Edition.

Yes you will want it, yes you will need it, it will be your best friend.

Such as, when the Portugese A/C head unit decides to start getting screwy(yes its made it Portugal). When the JapaneseJATCO transmission sets hard faultDTC's and requires a new tranny. When you need a new oil pan gasket, and/or crankshaft seal every 20,000 miles. When the rear differential falls out (not common but has happened). When the all wheel drive unit craps out.

Select edition is great for the customer. Sucks for the technician (ex. warranty labor time)

I would recommend the S-type if you are partial to Jaguar.

This info brought to you bya Jaguar technician.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:13 PM

i think the s-type might be more comfortable for your mother, and you'll find that the prices are competitive with later x-types. in terms of reliability for the x, i've heard a few bad stories, and a good number of positive stories, so i'd say it's a calculated risk worth taking (after all, i did buy one, lol).

Old 06-26-2007, 02:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have heard that the tranny is junk but other then that not too many horror stories. Oh, and on edmunds it has a very low cust satisfaction score. However, the awd is appealing. I might get an audi or chrysler 500 depending on my budget.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

As I know, earlier X Type models have had some tranny problems otherwise tranny problem can be assiciated with the earlier X Types .Anyway, status symbol ? Yes, I think only Rolls Royce,Bentley and Cadillac (not most models ) can beat Jaguar in regards to status symbol .
Still, you wouldn't compare a S600 to X Type .These two are in different classes

Old 06-26-2007, 05:51 AM

from my limited experience, it is by far the best car I have ever owned.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:14 AM

Thanks for the replies thus far.

Let me explain better. My mother, bless her heart, has driven a Ford Contourall her life, and wanted something that would stand out. Sure it's nota Bentley, or Rolce Royce, hell to me it's the Ford Taurus of Jaguar w/AWD, butfor some reason or other, her heart is settled on the X-type.

I'm a car guy, and wouldn't touch that thing with a stick. Way too many issues, old technology, and bad reputation of Jaguar. I tried convincing her to go for an Acura TL, Mercedes C-class, BMW 3-series,and Volvo S60, but she refuses.

Thus, I'm trying to get her the least problematic X-type. With her budget, I'm thinking this is the 2004 w/ select edition.

1.) Now for you owners out there, how does it work if something goes wrong: Do you have to pay bs diagnostic fees everytime they service it? Or does select edition cover that. I tried beating theanswer outof thedealer, but got nothing out of him.

2.) It seems like everyone has something negative to say about the vehicle and it kind of scares me. It seems logical to me that Jaguar must have worked out all the kinks in the MY 02/03. It seems like most unsatisfied customers have these model years.

3.) She doesn't like the S-type; too large. Like I said, she has been driving a Ford Contour, so she's used to nimble, European-designed, well-handling vehicles.

NTI06: As a Jaguar tech, are the vehicles abused or not taken care of, or is it really just a bad designed platform? Also, would you know if there is indeed a trend towards most issues being MY 02/03?

Thanks again guys and gals, I appreciate the input.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:31 AM

hey, when did we give newbies the right to bash the x?

Old 06-26-2007, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah no doubt macchiavelli,

Old 06-26-2007, 01:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ancientsanskrit

hell to me it's the Ford Taurus of Jaguar w/AWD...
Man, you sure do speak some strong words in a forum full of members that can help you out.[:@]

Old 06-26-2007, 07:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont care what you bitches say, I love my X-Type. Go to any car forum and you'll find someone to talk **** about any car. I have a X-Type with 50k+ and no problems tospeak of. Just like anything, if you take care of it and treat it right it will hold up well.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:10 PM

bad designed platform - the x-type isn't really a jaguar. its built on the australian ford mondeo platform. they changed some sheetmetal and plastic and called it a jaguar.

that car has earned jaguar alot of negative experiences with customers.
how did your mother get a ford contour to last as long as it has? the contour/mystique was fords modern pinto with out as many fires.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:03 PM

nti check out this forum's previous subjects for lengthy, detailed, and ACCURATE history of the x-type.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:13 PM

ORIGINAL: SpartanX

ORIGINAL: ancientsanskrit

hell to me it's the Ford Taurus of Jaguar w/AWD...
Man, you sure do speak some strong words in a forum full of members that can help you out.[:@]
Unfortunately, I think you guys are taking it wrong. I think the car is absolutely gorgeous from the exterior, but when you couple the 1990s technology (Lack of navigation system), and poor workmanship, it doesn't seem to compare well against its rivals.

I should probablyexplain further that I have test drove many X-typesfrom Jaguar dealerships that I find far from ideal. Keep in mind these vehicles were from Jaguar of Troy, MI,apretty large Jaguar outfit.We found one car to have a vibrational noise that was accentuated when braking, the other felt like it had a misfiring cylinder. These were both certified vehicles. I was mortified to believe they could sell such a vehicle and label it 'certified'So I guess my spite is only due to frustration of the inability to find a good working X-type and the constant negative remarks on the X-type.

NTI, how did it last....me. I became a part-time mechanic b/c of that car. I learned all about cars from that thing. That and the Ford Contour forums, contour.org. We literally drove it to the ground. 148k miles. It got me so hooked I got myself a Contour and it's sitting at 85k miles issue-free. Great, extremely cheap cars if you know how to work on them. Unfortunately, they are maintenance-demanding.

Look, I'm not trying to bash the vehicle at all. The comparison the Taurus is just a slip up on my half, andI apologize. It's a great handling platform, and follows great footsteps. I mean who doesn't want to own an ST200/ST220 (Mondeo) :drool. Again, this is all just my opinion, so please don't take it personally.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:48 PM

no problem ancient, i don't think anyone takes it seriously; we like to banter.
the nav system stuff, though, has me thinking, how come? a good number of x-types have factory navigation
systems on them, and for the enthusiasts, there are a few here who have added an aftermarket system (racer's
system looks great).

as for build quality, i'd say what i said earlier, it's risk management: find a good, smooth, well-taken care of example, and it is likely to go on that way. otherwise, headache awaits. mine didn't have any problems so far, except a drivetrain whine which comes and goes around 55mph. no creaks, rattles, major or minor mechanical/electrical issues. it's an '03 with 46k miles on it.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm with macchiavelli on this one check out past run-ins with people bashing the x and you'll find the entire history of these cars! Ancientskirt what exactly are you looking for and I'll help you...I live in waterford so I have a good idea of whats out there...you want warranty what year mileage options....and whatever else just let me know I'll help you look! Ebay is also a good place to look as many are within a couple hours of driving certified and covered under the 100k mile select certified. As I stated in your other post call up keith birch from jag of troy and talk to him and let him know everything I let you know if your trying to get one from a jag dealer. Need anything else let us know...

Old 06-29-2007, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

Alright...I just about had it! Enough X-type bashing! Someone please come to me with the list of cars that are competing against the X and I'll show you the price on those cars and lets see how many of those START at 32K with leather seats, power everything, AWD(VERY IMPORTANT, because this car has a great AWD system), and a great ABS system. The car does have it's issues, but to offer such a BEAUTIFUL baby at such a cheap price with so many options and have to run into a couple of problems here and there, considering that the bitch sold like crazy at that price tag, and for just a little more you could've got it with NAVI...man! Ya'll need to STFU and stop bashing it! I've heard enough. You'd be surprised how many Civics go into service, but just think of how many Civics were sold...same here. So many X's were sold, that the techs can do nothing but see X's and their problems! Want to talk **** bout the X, take it elsewhere. We already got your point that you guys don't like the X, but calling a mondeo with different sheet metal is pushing it too far! Anymore negative remarks on this thread will be DELETED!

Old 06-30-2007, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  6.3 KB

+1 on that post from Biggie.
Lets be honest though guys, we all know the X has its problems right, thats not the point. The point is how you discuss those issues. Its a fine line between saying that there is this problem or that problem needs fixed, and saying its a heap of crap.
Lets all just remember wer'e here cos we own an X an we love everything about them, even their faults ( sometimes !!)
So, if you don't have an X, want an X or just plain ole love it to bits.......go somewhere else and bash it! That simple.

JC

Old 06-30-2007, 04:32 PM

as long as you all understand that the x-type is a fault ridden car. it is (whether you like it or not) a scab on the jaguar marque. this year alone we have had10 people come off their leases with an x-type.3 previously held 4 to 7 lease periods with the jaguar brand, 7 were first time leasing customers. none renewed their lease or bought the car at the end of the lease period. all because of the problems they had.
now some of you are happy as a clam with your x-type. which is great. im glad you have had a positive experience with owning a jaguar. if any of you do have some of the serious and expensive problems that are common with the x-type, don't condemn Jaguar. think before you say the words "i will never buy a Jaguar again." the same goes for your friends with an x-type. don't condemn Jaguar, blame Ford for this one.

Quick Reply: Prospective X-type owner