X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling to the right

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 12:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling to the right

My jag pulls to the right,feels a little hard on bumps on passenger front side,buddy told me it was just a wheel promlem..ie broken tred...shocks are fine.it seems to be getting worse,any idea's

Old 10-11-2009, 06:45 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

Irish, sounds like a wheel alignment issue. I would take the car in and have them do an alignment. From there, they will tell you if anything is wrong. Could be something in the front end, could be something in the rear, hard to say. A quick check that you can do is get down to the tire level and take a look at all the tires. Do any of them lean in at the top? Also, compare the angle that the front tires are sitting at. Do they both seem to point in the same direction at the same angle? Not the easiest thing to necessarily see, but that may give you an idea of which wheel might be bad. Odds are, atleast one of your problems will be the rear tires and the lower track arms (the ones on the bottom on the front side of the hub) will have worn bushings and will need replaced (this causes the rear tires to point outward and if only 1 tire has this condition, could cause a pulling).

This is assuming that you have a constant pull. If it only pulls when you are braking, then you should be looking at the brake calipers for the right front wheel.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:24 AM
Talking thankx

The info you gave me,should help tons I'm gonna check my tires today,and maybe do the airbox,I'll see it's freezin up here today,lol

Old 10-11-2009, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

lol, i have the sa me problem, i always thought the ire didnt have enough air but wow, that was unexpected

Old 10-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

swap the front tires side to side. if it still pulls right, its alignment. if it goes straight or goes left now, then its radial tire pull. If it still pulls right (drift) then have it aligned, tell them it pulls or drifts rights and if the alignment is not far out at a setting that someone that knows how to align, would not say that it goes right from the before setting. Then they can always set the rear rudder of the car to combat drift..ie it goes right the point the rear tires right

Old 10-11-2009, 05:38 PM

sounds expensive..just bought the car three months ago,and dont have a mechanic yet,not opposed to goin to dealer but i might come back without an arm and a leg .haha.I will try the thing you said before the shop,hopefully that will work

Old 10-13-2009, 10:06 PM

Well switched the tires and no change.If I let go the wheel she will change lanes by her self,I think the rear rudder thing you mentioned might have been a fix a while ago it seems preety bad now ,so I guess it's the rear rack did I mention the wheel shakes a bit as well ...guess I'll get it up on a hoist,Does anyone mechaically enclined know how many hours of knuckle busting it will take to replace the rear passenger rack arm.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:03 AM

you need an alignment and suspension check before I could even give more info from here, and post printout

Old 10-15-2009, 05:26 PM

Will do I'll definetly get back to you thanx sir

Old 10-16-2009, 01:03 PM

Had the same problem. Mine ended up being a bent rim (caused by damn potholes!) and a bent strut and some bent coil i believe. Got the rim refurbished, had the strut and coil replaced, and a wheel alignment. Car does not pull anymore but as far as riding really awkward on the front passenger side, mine still does the same thing and it feels like the car is gonna break. but o well, at least i dont swerve into other lanes now

Old 10-16-2009, 02:05 PM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Mine was/is due to someone going mad with the weights when balancing the wheel. They did not properly remove the old weights before new ones were put on. I switched the offending wheel to the rear and the problem has gone. For a permanent fix the car is going to an alloy wheel reburbisher to have all of the weights taken off all of the wheels and the job done properly.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by delta66
mine was/is due to someone going mad with the weights when balancing the wheel. They did not properly remove the old weights before new ones were put on. I switched the offending wheel to the rear and the problem has gone. For a permanent fix the car is going to an alloy wheel reburbisher to have all of the weights taken off all of the wheels and the job done properly.
uh leaving old weights on the wheel has absolutly nothing to do with anything. Rebalancing and adding weights to make up for the tire wear and imbalance associated with it is not wrong. The only time i strip all weights is when replacing tires. Reason being some wheels needs alot of wheigt in the same area regardless of the tire on it. Taking off 3 oz of weight only to put it back in the same place is a waste or resources, time, money and more damaging in the long run to the wheel. The reason your pull changed is cause you had a radial tire pull. not that old weight were left on the wheel. You moving it to the rear moved it from the front, just like switching side to side or front to rear. And with directional tires(a reason i dislike directionals) you have to break it down and flip it on the rim so it stays in the correct direction but counteracts the radial pull.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:07 PM

Thanks Brutal. I'll bear that in mind when it goes to be balanced again.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:23 AM

I went for it and had the old weights taken off and all the wheels rebalanced and no judder, wobble or pull to the left. Hopefully I will get the money back with tyres that will now last longer.