X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions: LGL Paint Code, Wheel Size vs Speedometer...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Questions: LGL Paint Code, Wheel Size vs Speedometer...

I have a couple of questions that I was hoping someone could help me with...

1) My paint code of my car is LGL and I'm trying to find the actual paint color. The only thing I can find on the Internet is "Titanium Metallic". Is that the correct color? Do Jaguar Dealers stock touch-up paint? Here is a picture of my 2002 X Type:

2) My tires are needing to be replaced soon and I want to go ahead an change the wheels at the same time. I'm not sure what the car had on it from the factory, but I currently have 16" wheels on the car. When I am driving 60-70 mph, the speedometer reads about 5 mph fast (it will show that I am going 75 mph, when I am in reality only driving 70 mph). As I slow down, the disparity between shown speed and actual speed also goes down, so when I am driving around 15-20mph, it is pretty close to accurate. Can anyone tell me if me going from 16" wheels to 17" wheels will make this situation better or worse? Is there any way for me or the dealer to program the speedometer, or is there a speedometer gear that can be changed as there is on some vehicles?

3) I am looking at purchasing a set of 17" x 7.5" Rial Como wheels with the following specifications: Offset: 47mm, Backspacing: 6.02", Bolt Pattern: 5-108, Recommended Tire Size: 225/45-17, Weight: 22.8lbs. Does anyone have any experience with these wheels (good or bad) or know if these dimensions will work? Here is a picture of the wheel, and then a picture of roughly what it would look like on my vehicle:

4) Last question... I promise... Before I purchased my vehicle it apparently went through a pretty severe sand storm. The entire front end of the vehicle looks like it was sandblasted. My windshield is covered in tiny pits and the front bumper, hood, and front of both front fenders have hundreds of tiny chips in the paint. Is there ANYTHING I can do to either fix this or make it less visible other than replacing the windshield and repainting the entire front end of the car?

I know that's a lot of questions, but I really appreciate anyone that can help me answer some or all of them!

Thanks!
Jon

Old 06-16-2009, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd get the paint done for sure, me and a freind are spending 300 bucks for a guy to fix all the rust and redo the chips and other problems on my car, find a local shop for it, i know my friends truck got keyed and he only payed 50 bucks for them to fix it but it was done at my school, i would let any of the faggets at school touch my cars paint. just becuase the way they treat there cars

Old 06-16-2009, 08:14 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Jon,

1) as for the color code, that sounds about right. You can pick up paint at the dealership or you can do to any automotive paint store and get the same color paint there. The big question is how much exposure to the sun your car has seen. IT is possible that the color has shifted slightly and therefore will be very difficult to match. But, quality body shops have a special "gun" that will analyze the paint color and match it perfectly. But, to do this, they have to have the car to sample the paint.

2+3) stepping up to the 17" rims and going with the 225/45R17 wheels should put your speedo to within 1% if not dead on. That size is the factory size for the 17" wheels. Lots of option in that size. The rim size is correct to. So, if the rims are what you want, go for it.

4) based on what you are describing, about the only option is repainting the entire front of the car. You can probably take care of most of the chips simply by getting the bumper repainted (as this is where most of the damage probably is). As for the hood, probably would be cheaper to have it done at the same time as the bumper, but if you don't have the money, I can understand. Odds are, both pieces will need a good sanding, therefore a good painting afterwords to get rid of all the chips. As for the windshield, not much that can really be done about this. Granted, most insurance companies have a minimal deductible for windshield replacements ($50 for some, others it is free). So, make a call and see what the insurance company says.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Just curious...how did you measure that your speedometer is off?

Thos wheels look similar to the factory Arubas. I think those look great on the car.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Jon,

1) as for the color code, that sounds about right. You can pick up paint at the dealership or you can do to any automotive paint store and get the same color paint there. The big question is how much exposure to the sun your car has seen. IT is possible that the color has shifted slightly and therefore will be very difficult to match. But, quality body shops have a special "gun" that will analyze the paint color and match it perfectly. But, to do this, they have to have the car to sample the paint.

2+3) stepping up to the 17" rims and going with the 225/45R17 wheels should put your speedo to within 1% if not dead on. That size is the factory size for the 17" wheels. Lots of option in that size. The rim size is correct to. So, if the rims are what you want, go for it.

4) based on what you are describing, about the only option is repainting the entire front of the car. You can probably take care of most of the chips simply by getting the bumper repainted (as this is where most of the damage probably is). As for the hood, probably would be cheaper to have it done at the same time as the bumper, but if you don't have the money, I can understand. Odds are, both pieces will need a good sanding, therefore a good painting afterwords to get rid of all the chips. As for the windshield, not much that can really be done about this. Granted, most insurance companies have a minimal deductible for windshield replacements ($50 for some, others it is free). So, make a call and see what the insurance company says.
Thanks for the information! I'll probably just have the windshield replaced for now. I found that the liquid wax "Turtle Wax Ice" pretty much fills in all of the tiny chips in the paint for about a month, so I've just been doing that so it isn't extremely obvious.

Jon

Old 06-16-2009, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Just curious...how did you measure that your speedometer is off?

Thos wheels look similar to the factory Arubas. I think those look great on the car.
My wife paced me in her BMW and said it was reading slow, so I tested it with both of our GPS devices (different brands), and they both read the speeds stated above. Her car's speedometer is dead on. I've also driven past the "speed trailer" devices that are on the side of the highway here sometimes and my speed is usually about 5-6 mph off.

Jon

Old 06-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

im loking at these wheels for my car, but it dosen't ay how much they are

Old 06-17-2009, 09:11 PM

Hey Jon,
I am looking at getting those exact same wheels for my 02 X, but it'll be a another month or two before I get them. Please post up pics if you do get them as I would love to see what they look like on the car. BTW, love that color of your car.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by MARVSGT
Hey Jon,
I am looking at getting those exact same wheels for my 02 X, but it'll be a another month or two before I get them. Please post up pics if you do get them as I would love to see what they look like on the car. BTW, love that color of your car.
Thanks for the compliment! I really like the color too! It was between this color or silver, but I'm glad I chose the dark blue.

Anyway, I would love to get the wheels changed tomorrow, but I am a disabled Police Officer thanks to a suspect that thought running from the police with a gun across a major 10 lane highway was a great idea. So, long story short, it's really hard for me to get around. The only time ever get to use my Jaguar anymore is to go to physical therapy and my doctor's appointments, and I'm honestly surprised I haven't wrecked her yet due to my incredible driving ability after being injured. But that's life I guess...

Hopefully I'll be a little more mobile in the next month or two and be able to get this done! I'll post some pictures once I have a chance!

Jon