X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick advice needed on checking a "salvage" car

Old 05-04-2016, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Quick advice needed on checking a "salvage" car

So... Im looking at a 2005 3.0 X tonite, it has 48,000 miles.
It has a salvage title and the owner claims he bought it with that and does not know why it was salvage.
Any info on how to check the car over is welcome.
I know X types inside out but know nothing about checking a salvage vehicle.
Price was listed at $4200 and i have him down to $3500 currently.
Viewing at 5pm est
Thanks

Old 05-04-2016, 09:43 AM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

Carfax?
May point you in the direction where to look.

Last edited by Paulc732; 05-04-2016 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

I know that is low miles, but to me it still seems high for a car with a salvage title, but I suppose it would depend on when it was salvaged and what for. Maybe you can get him down a bit more.

Do you know how long the current owner has had the car? If it was in an accident fairly recently it could have been totaled by the insurance company for something relatively minor that was only cosmetic damage that on a newer car would have just been repaired.

Now if it was salvaged back in, say, 2008 when it was still worth something, that might be a different story and I would want to know more details.

Because you do not know the reason it is a salvaged car, probably just look for the usual things you would when you would buy a car and if it seems like a good car then take it to a professional to evaluate. Would probably cost you a couple hundred dollar, but could be some very cheap insurance. They could more easily spot structural damage and evaluate how well repairs might have been made. The last thing you want to end up with is one like that one former member had where he bought it with all kinds of issues because it was cheap and he thought he could fix them. Then he found out that car had way too many issues and was basically one big headache.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Alfadude
I know that is low miles, but to me it still seems high for a car with a salvage title, but I suppose it would depend on when it was salvaged and what for. Maybe you can get him down a bit more.

Do you know how long the current owner has had the car? If it was in an accident fairly recently it could have been totaled by the insurance company for something relatively minor that was only cosmetic damage that on a newer car would have just been repaired.

Now if it was salvaged back in, say, 2008 when it was still worth something, that might be a different story and I would want to know more details.

Because you do not know the reason it is a salvaged car, probably just look for the usual things you would when you would buy a car and if it seems like a good car then take it to a professional to evaluate. Would probably cost you a couple hundred dollar, but could be some very cheap insurance. They could more easily spot structural damage and evaluate how well repairs might have been made. The last thing you want to end up with is one like that one former member had where he bought it with all kinds of issues because it was cheap and he thought he could fix them. Then he found out that car had way too many issues and was basically one big headache.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Thanks.. Will be doing a carfax when i get there.
I know the post you speak of and im not that kind of guy.. Lol.
I have never considered a salvage before, but the price and milage makes it worth the 150 mile drive to look at it.
The bonus i just got will cover the price so technically the car is a gift from me to me and if it turns out to be unusable then i can part it out. Im not dollar possessive... Lol
In one pocket, out the other ;@)

Old 05-04-2016, 01:47 PM
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

I have done lots of salvage cars over the years. The insurance company can make it salvage for many reasons, some very small. The big ones you want to look for:

Accident

Look for body work. Bent frame work. Wrinkled metal. Tar or undercoating hiding damage. Check the gaps in doors and hoods.

Water damage

Lift up mats and carpeting. Look in trunk for signs of water in tire well. Look under car on frame holes for mud.

All in all I have never had a problem with a salvage car. It will hurt you on resale.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by iownme
Thanks.. Will be doing a carfax when i get there.
I know the post you speak of and im not that kind of guy.. Lol.
I have never considered a salvage before, but the price and milage makes it worth the 150 mile drive to look at it.
The bonus i just got will cover the price so technically the car is a gift from me to me and if it turns out to be unusable then i can part it out. Im not dollar possessive... Lol
In one pocket, out the other ;@)
Happy "salvaging"!

Old 05-04-2016, 03:23 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

Is that the 5-speed down by Binghamton?

Old 05-04-2016, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Happy "salvaging"!
Just looked at it... I'm walking away. Oil leak, obvious previous body damage and a bad paint match on front fender.
Mismatch tires, volvo wheels, a lot of underside rust for 48000 miles, russian seller (no disrespect to russians ;@)
Says his wife has driven it for last 4 years, i dont believe that, steering wheel center looks like airbag deployed and not put back right.
Gaps are weird between door and fender, also hood gaps are weird
All in all a waste of a drive, but happy im able to turn down "a great deal"

Last edited by iownme; 05-04-2016 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:48 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Sorry it didn't work out for you. Just for future reference get the VIN number in advance to do a Car Fax report and save the drive. The extra cost probably isn't much more than what you would spend in gas money.