X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattling at Start-Up

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling at Start-Up

Hello all! Long time no talk! Hope all is well.

When I start my engine after its been sitting overnight or for a few days, I hear this rattling noise coming from the engine and it goes away after about 30 seconds.

Could it be that the oil has been sitting and needs to circulate through the engine first or could this be something more serious?

I just hit 5,000k miles since my last oil change and I'm going to the dealer on Monday morning to get it checked out and for an oil change as well.

Have anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Rattling at Start-Up

Let us know what the dealer says.
Mine does the same so I changed the oil but it stayed the same..
doesnt quite last 30 seconds tho..

Old 12-27-2008, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm paranoid about this which is why I use the Jaguar recommended 5w-30 GTX Magnetec in mine....clings to moving parts before you turn the key so when you start the enginewear isminimised during those vital first few moments.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:30 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Buck is right..Outside kept cars need the best in engine oil, for the winter especially..If you can't get what Buck can, as he is in the UK..then go with Royal Purple or Castrol Syntec..5w30 These leave a film on the engine parts for cold starts.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:11 AM

Do you think this is just an oil issue?

I just came back from taking a test drive and the initial rattling went away within 10 seconds.There is also a faint whiningsound and that went away after a couple minutes driving. I also restarted the engine a couple times to see if I could reproduce the sound, I was unable to do so.

Thanks for your help. I'll change my oil to Castrol Syntec or Royal Purple and see if that works out.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:29 AM

I used valvoline synthetic 5w-30 this time...
they were out of castrol syntec.
grrrrr..
i love how those black bottles look too.
lol

Old 12-29-2008, 09:11 AM

It's possible (since we dont have an oil PSI gauge) that the oil filters internal drain-back valve is faulty or too stiff, causing a rattle on cold start, but if you changed the oil and filter and its still happening, then it's probably not the case. but by far the cheapest place to start. I would try a WIX brand filter and see if it helps at all. ANYTHING BUT FRAM! a friend of mine and mysef built a 350c.i.d small block chevy engine and he cheaped out on the oil filter & bought a fram. he ran the engine once, and it started knocking due to LOW oil PSI. we tore the engine down only to discover that there wasn't any internal faults other than a rod and main bearing failing due to no oil PSI. the fram filter had a faulty drain back valve that stuck in the closed position starving the engine of oil. we called fram and took the filter to the parts store where they also called fram and FRAM SAID "SORRY, ALL WE CAN DO FOR YOU IS REPLACE THE FILTER FOR YOU". and everyone we showed the filter to agreed the valve was bad.

The filter you choose is just as important as the oil.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:35 AM
ud

No truer words could be said..Garrin

Old 12-29-2008, 10:35 AM

I have the rattle as well but it is only due to the very low temperatures (-10deg C)

Old 12-29-2008, 04:19 PM

Thanks for the advice guys!

This morning, I took the Jag to my local shop and they did an oil change with Amsoil 5w30 Synthetic and a Mann oil filter. So far I could feel the difference.

I have to wait until tomorrow morning to see if the rattle persists.

If its gone, no more conventional oil for me! I'm sticking to synthetic!

Old 12-29-2008, 07:32 PM
ud

You got the best oil and filter money can buy..I hope this does the trick for you..keep us posted.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:15 AM

I started my car last night after having it sit for a whole day and......No Rattling! Thanks for the advice guys! Synthetic oil all the way from now on!

The X runs like a champ!

Thanks again!

Old 12-31-2008, 02:47 PM

m

Old 12-31-2008, 03:07 PM

ORIGINAL: gotti15

Do you think this is just an oil issue?

I just came back from taking a test drive and the initial rattling went away within 10 seconds.There is also a faint whiningsound and that went away after a couple minutes driving. I also restarted the engine a couple times to see if I could reproduce the sound, I was unable to do so.

Thanks for your help. I'll change my oil to Castrol Syntec or Royal Purple and see if that works out.
My X has recently been rattling on initial start up from cold for about 15-20 seconds, so i had a look under the bonnet to see what was about to drop off the engine , but as soon as i got the bonnet up the rattle had stopped, this happend 4 times last week so i thought it mite be a lubrication problem...I changed the oil to Castrol Magnatec 5W30 including a new filter and so far no more rattles.....Hasn't cured my damned whine though, still whines when cold for the fist mile or so then it throws a fit and runs perfectly quiet I have also re-greased the prop bearing but its not made any diference so it probably isnt that thats making it whine and it certainly wasn't the missus cause she wasn't with me. I put it down to the local ghost that these jags are plauged with.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:29 PM

I get the whistling all the time when when car is cold or when the temps come down.

How is the rattling? Did it ever come back?

For me, the rattling has not returned. Over the weekend, I visited a friend of mine and parked my X-Type outside the house for two days with temps dipping into the low 30's (I live in California). I started the car Sunday morning and no rattles. Amazing that a change to synthetic oil could make such a difference, not to mention a difference in performance as well.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:11 PM

Does this apply To Diesle and Petrol ?

Old 01-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: GarrinChilders

It's possible (since we dont have an oil PSI gauge) that the oil filters internal drain-back valve is faulty or too stiff, causing a rattle on cold start, but if you changed the oil and filter and its still happening, then it's probably not the case. but by far the cheapest place to start. I would try a WIX brand filter and see if it helps at all. ANYTHING BUT FRAM! a friend of mine and mysef built a 350c.i.d small block chevy engine and he cheaped out on the oil filter & bought a fram. he ran the engine once, and it started knocking due to LOW oil PSI. we tore the engine down only to discover that there wasn't any internal faults other than a rod and main bearing failing due to no oil PSI. the fram filter had a faulty drain back valve that stuck in the closed position starving the engine of oil. we called fram and took the filter to the parts store where they also called fram and FRAM SAID "SORRY, ALL WE CAN DO FOR YOU IS REPLACE THE FILTER FOR YOU". and everyone we showed the filter to agreed the valve was bad.

The filter you choose is just as important as the oil.
Not doubting the filter valve stuck but the oiling system itselfhas a bypass valve that opens in the event of such failures or a plugged filter. This prevents the engine from being starved of
oil. So it is pretty tough to blame the oil filter forno oil pressure.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4917/C1CBD2CD066E43E98B99C0121E6EAE4E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Received 61 Likes on 13 Posts

When the cars been sitting long enough that you think it will make its noise do this. Right after startup while the rattle is happening give the throttle a quick rap to 2000 rpm or so and see if the noise instantly goes away. If it does the VVT units are suspect. Not common but there is a VIN range with this potential problem not listed in any service bulletin.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 1959
Size:  6.3 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 2011
Size:  6.4 KBName:  T15ESSST101-1.jpg
Views: 1959
Size:  9.9 KBName:  tshirt03-2.jpg
Views: 1972
Size:  6.0 KB

I see you're getting straight into it real tech.....nice one

codafile....I'm assuming this may be peculiar to the petrol variants as they will not have diesels over there. Perhaps someone could confirm?

Thanks

Jim