X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Brake Caliper Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Rear Brake Caliper Problem

i can't say as i know much about brake systems, but if you did ruin the caliper somehow try www.car-part.com it is quite possible the world's best site for used car and truck parts.

Old 10-02-2006, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Rear Brake Caliper Problem

For the rear breaks you need a special tool and the piston is screwed back into the caliper. The left rear turns counterclock wise, and right rear turns clock wise. If you were able to Press is in like you do the front, than you have some problems.

If you tried screwing them, and it would not move, than that means its toast. By the description you gave me with the one being all the way out, it must have froze in its bore. The "O" ring is fried. If you were able to screw that piston in, you would only be asking for problems. Also, accoring to the service manul, new caliper bolts are required....

Best bet is to replace your rear caliper, rotors and pads. This is also a good time to replace your brake fluid. Since nobody ever replaces that. Brake fluid collects the moister from the brake lines....and if neglected, your nice brake lines rust from the inside out....

I hope that when you did your front brakes, you opened the bleeder valve on the caliper and bleed the fluid out as you compressed the piston back into its bore? If you didn't open the bleeder and pushed the fluid back through the ABS module and into the reservoir.....your brake job just might get a bit more expensive.....never push your brake fluid back through the ABS module...

Might be an expensive brake job, i think calipers are over 100+ each, rotors are about 100 for the pair and brake pads about 40+
(just a rough guess)

________
Wellbutrin lawsuites

Last edited by racerx82; 05-17-2011 at 07:05 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drivers Side Brake Caliper - 5 Days in the shop - $1200 repair + Rental car cost
My left rear brake caliper was stuck and pressed against the inside pad so much that it wore the pad down to the rivet causing the horrible sound and wear on the inside of the rotor.
So rear brake pads and rotors and one brake caliper later.

Thats the easy part! - Trying to find a part was atrocious! Finally the part came from Worldpac in New Jersey (WORLDPAC - Parts & Accessories)

Last edited by Jocelzy; 06-20-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:39 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Not sure if your from the states but auto zone let u rent out the tool for the brake job for FREE!!!

http://m.autozone.com/autozone-mobile/en/accessories/Tools-Garage-and-Equipment/Disc-Brake-Caliper-Tool/_/N-264a?switch=true

Follow racerx82 instructions u should be good -

Old 06-20-2013, 12:50 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

GEEZE LOUISE!
I just noticed this was a "bump" from 2006. "My Bad".

Sorry to hear how much your brake repair cost, Jocelzy. Stick around here and save some $$$. Ask us before you take it to that shop again!

From the best Ebay / Jaguar site in the world, Jaguar For Sale Auctions | Jaguar AuctionWatch

Left Rear X-Type Brake Calipers, Used.

$50 USD plus Shipping, no bracket

$95 USD FREE Shipping, has bracket.

$30 USD plus Shipping
, no other info

$60 USD plus Shipping, no other info

$42.46 USD plus Shipping
, no other info

Plus, you'll need a rebuild kit for it. $10.61 FREE Shipping

Introduce yourself and join the forum, "Guest"!

Last edited by Bruce in North Dakota; 06-20-2013 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Bumped in the Head...
The following users liked this post:
Jocelzy (06-20-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 12:48 PM

Thanks! I dont think it would of been so bad except one I had in my hand cost $100 or so because of a core charge refund thing, but when I got it to my car it was actually for the Right Rear!
Just the availability of that particular part (drivers side rear caliper) wasnt in inventory anywhere. So I imagine the brake caliper I purchased from WorldPac was an new Jaguar part because it cost 375/$405 w/tax.

And other thing apparently 2005 parts depends on the VIN number because that part changed during that years production! so the earlier kind had a wider attachment bracket.

So still didnt have my front ones repaired yet, just dying to go back in there for the next time!!!!

Old 06-20-2013, 03:18 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Jocelzy, if you don't mind a little bit of work, you can rebuild your front calipers for around $12 a caliper. Takes about 30 minutes to do. You can find the rebuild kits on e-bay (made by Centric). IF you rebuild the rears, you need the special "14mm Penta-socket" (yes, it is a 5 sided socket). But, that can be had for around $20 on e-bay too.

I seem to go through a rear caliper a year. But now that I rebuild my own, getting my hands on a good caliper is no problem. I think I even have a spare set sitting around so I can install the rebuilt one, then as I get time, rebuild the old caliper to get it back to 100%. As time goes on, I tinker with various things to see if I can make the lifetime of the caliper a bit more.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:43 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Hasn't anyone heard of Rock Auto or Partsgeek.com???

Old 06-22-2013, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by JagXV6
Hasn't anyone heard of Rock Auto or Partsgeek.com???
Yes I think Discount Auto Parts Online -- PartsGeek.com - Domestic & Import Auto Parts Warehouse is out of New Jersey and RockAuto Parts Catalog was in Wisconsin, but Worldpac had the only humanbeing I could actually discuss making absolutely sure the correct part was taken off a shelf, put into a box and actually make certain it was shipped for a next morning delivery.