X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear decked in the face

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 10:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear decked in the face

I recently went to get a quote on a tint job,upon inspection of the rear deck it looks like you cant fit even a piece of paper in there,from about 4 or 5 inches back..which sucks for vacumming out the critters that blow at night.Has anyone noticed there reardeck so close to the back window..Upon an accident check I see there is no report of one,just incase it was bumped or something.And if it is a xtype issue how did ya get the tint in there

Old 08-25-2010, 11:39 AM

i read something on this somewhere, i cant remember where but heres what i remember. depending on your jags year they will either take your back seats out for the job and do something with the deck that will give them more room then put everything back together (this is only for the 2002 type that apparently the rear seats dont fold) or the fold the seats and do something to the deck finish tinting and [ut everything back to normal.
(im not sure if this is accurate or not but im hoping it helps at least a little)

Old 08-25-2010, 04:58 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Irish, you will end up having to fold the rear seats down and then pull out the cover over the rear deck. At that point you will have enough room to apply the tint properly. It is that or pay someone to remove the rear window, tint it, then put it back. Sounds like a real PITA to me to do it the second way.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Seats do fold on 2002's. At least on mine.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:30 PM

i gots 2004..and mine do fold..i was hoping this was an issue ,rather than a hidden accident..phew,ok...thanks boys...hey has anyone ever tinted there own car with that stuff from the aouto store....and if so any luck...i'm only thinking about this ..cause im irish and cheap..but am sure it will be a fake around...IDK?

Old 08-27-2010, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishXtype
i gots 2004..and mine do fold..i was hoping this was an issue ,rather than a hidden accident..phew,ok...thanks boys...hey has anyone ever tinted there own car with that stuff from the aouto store....and if so any luck...i'm only thinking about this ..cause im irish and cheap..but am sure it will be a fake around...IDK?
I did it once....and only once and will never do it again. Started off fine, followed the instructions got it on, used the squeegy to remove every single air bubble I could find, did just the 3. Took forever to get the stuff fitted just right.

Inspected it microscopically almost to make sure there was no gaps or bubbles. Looked awesome and I was quite proud of myself for about 1 week. Mind you this was the summer so I probably in the winter would have been proud for a day.

First time I put on the rear defogger was when I noticed the beginning of an issue. Seems the microscopic bubbles grow when you apply heat........long story short cost me 25.00 to get the crap taken of and 100.00 or so to have it professionally done. I bet if that car is still on the road the only thing that still looks good is the tint.

I've got an Estate so there are a lot of windows, Canadian law doesn't allow the drivers and passengers windows to have any tint applied other than factory but there are still 7 windows to do. I took it in to a professional, cost me I think around 120.00. Freaking awesome!

I don't have dollar bills falling out of my a** but there is a thing called value, my time is worth more than whatever the labor was to do it and after all is said and done you can always spot a home done tint job from across the street. Nothing I hate looking at more is an upscale car with welfare parts.