Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red Reverse Blinkers? Legal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 03:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red Reverse Blinkers? Legal?

Hey everyone,

Has anyone tried putting in red reverse blinker lights (7507's)?? I'm trying to find out if this is illegal and if the cops would be pestering me for not have the amber ones. I have a bright white led for the front blinkers side markers and blueish ones for the running lights and have yet been harrassed. I found these transparent light bulbs that light up to the desired color. http://autolumination.com/images/aut..._chrome_wm.jpg and could at least use these in amber if everyone thinks the red will be a bad idea.

Dustin

Old 05-29-2010, 04:38 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,842 Likes on 3,159 Posts

Dustin, having moved around a lot, I have learned what a lot of states will tolerate and what they won't. Most states do not care if the turn signal is red or yellow. But, they do care that it is red or yellow, not blue, not green, etc. The other consideration that most states have is that the light emitted by the turn signal is visible from a given distance (normally about 400 feet). So, as long as you meet both of those things, most cops are not going to give you a second look.

When looking at different colored bulbs, the general rules are this:
The front of the car can only have white (headlights only) or yellow (all other) lights
The rear of the car can only have red (stop/turn/running) or yellow (turn only) or white (reverse/backup or license plate) only

Keep these two things in mind and you will minimize the likelihood that you will get harassed by the cops. If in doubt, look up your local laws and see what they say. In short, they will probably say what I did, just using many, many more words.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Just to add to what Thermo says, it is most certainly illegal over here in Europe.

I don't know what it is like in the US, but in my head, if I see a red light on a car I have the impression that it is either slowing, stopped, or going away from me.

Certainly not coming towards me!

Don't be suprised if you get shunted, when trying to reverse out of a supermarket parking slot.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys,

I'm going to give it a shot with the red in the back, It seems as if the cops out in Phoenix have bigger issues to deal with, rather than pulling people over for blinkers. Plus it is a fairly lenient state as far driving, you can have people ride in the bed of a truck, have neon underbodies, etc, so I'll stick by what you said and hopefully not get harrassed. Thanks!

Old 05-29-2010, 01:07 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ANYWHERE in the U.S. rear turn signals can be red or yellow despite what the manufacturer originally intended. There are many all red tail lights with red turn signals that are OEM that are simply changed to yellow turnsignals by the manufacturer when the car is sold in Europe.