X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

repair or change odometer

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 01:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default repair or change odometer

Hi, i'm italian and i've try to repair odometer of my 2001 x-type 2.5 petroleum whith no result. The information on display is off. I've changed 3 electrolytic capacitors on the odometer 1x4f-10849-df mounted on my jag.

like tread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ype-faq-45129/

Now I want try to change the odometer than I woud like to know if I can use the 1x4f-10849-ej or -ab or -dj or -eh ...... Another question is if when I change the odometer is necessary to make some setting to confirm km registred on old odometer. Thanks to all. Alessandro

Old 07-29-2015, 02:41 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Alessandro, from our experience, when you change out the odometer, it is a hit and miss as to what all is required to be done to make things work again. Unfortunately, I think you are going to be in the worst case condition which is going to require a reflash of the ODO to get the security system to work again to allow the car to start with your current keys. Part of the security system is installed in the instrument cluster. If you can get one that is the same version (ie, "DF"), then you shouldn't have to have get the instrument cluster reflashed. Otherwise, you are looking at having to have the dealership attach their computer to allow the new instrument cluster to be accepted by the ECM to allow things to work normally.

All the mileage and other information will transfer over as this information is stored in both the instrument cluster and the ECM. When one of the units is replaced, the system will know which unit has been replaced and will over-write the information from the other units left in the car.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Alessandro, from our experience, when you change out the odometer, it is a hit and miss as to what all is required to be done to make things work again. Unfortunately, I think you are going to be in the worst case condition which is going to require a reflash of the ODO to get the security system to work again to allow the car to start with your current keys. Part of the security system is installed in the instrument cluster. If you can get one that is the same version (ie, "DF"), then you shouldn't have to have get the instrument cluster reflashed. Otherwise, you are looking at having to have the dealership attach their computer to allow the new instrument cluster to be accepted by the ECM to allow things to work normally.

All the mileage and other information will transfer over as this information is stored in both the instrument cluster and the ECM. When one of the units is replaced, the system will know which unit has been replaced and will over-write the information from the other units left in the car.
I don't think that is what he wanted to hear. He may be a used car salesman......Mike

Old 07-29-2015, 03:12 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

We have had more bricks sitting around here from shops doing this crap to try and save money. Forget used parts your asking to brick a car and theyre not worth the modules needed to fix when done. The biggest issue is getting a overwrite and then if the security in the instrument cluster is good or not to program keys which is where most of these brick cars start out at. Used car lots, cheap non knowledgable shops ==lost$$$ or lost car in repairs exceeding value.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by mrplow58
I don't think that is what he wanted to hear. He may be a used car salesman......Mike
I'm not a used car salesman. I'm only trying to repair the odometer on my Jag.

I'm searching for used odometer but I've understand it isn't a good solution.

Thanks to all.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:34 AM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

If you do go with a New instrument cluster, you could replace the rom chip with your old one.

check out youtube on vids on how this has been done.
had to do this on the daughters Dodge.

Old 01-30-2019, 01:03 PM

Solved, repaired in Italy at € 250.... bye