X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replace non memory drivers seat with memory seat.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:17 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default replace non memory drivers seat with memory seat.

Hi
I have at least three drivers regularly using my
X type 2006 2.2 Diesel estate.
Would it be straightforward to replace the internals of a standard drivers seat with that from a memory equipped seat?
This option would ensure retaining the original matching
leather upholstery.
If that is impractical can a complete seat upgrade/ replacement be made?
Regards
solostax

Old 05-01-2015, 05:46 PM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

changing the drivers seat to memory is straightforward, its easier to change the whole seat rather than the bits under the seat as each motor would have to be changed.

The non memory seat will have a single multi plug the memory seat with have the same plug but also a smaller grey plug next to it. you need to add a feed from the switched ignition feed on the multi plug to the grey plug and also the can bus ( twisted yellow green) from the climate control unit to the grey plug . the seat will then work and store positions, the memory mirrors are a bit more complicated.

I can send you some photos of the wireing if you want to proceed.

The following users liked this post:
solostax (12-03-2017)
Old 05-01-2015, 11:38 PM

X type lpg, thanks..
I have grey leather upholstery and haven't yet seen
a used matching memory equiped drivers seat for sale.
The need for a close match narrows down the likelihood
of finding a suitable seat, which is why I enquired
as to swapping the internals or changing the skin of
replacement seat.
Either way, with these options open I would appreciate
any further information and pictures.
Regards
Solostax

r
inforwhichu

Old 06-09-2018, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I'm looking to do this. Is there any pictures or diagrams to the wiring?

Old 06-10-2018, 12:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts
Old 06-10-2018, 10:24 AM

you need to keep the passenger seat sensor from the old set and replace the one on the memory seat. they are coded to a range of vin n umbers so unless you are very lucky you end up with a srs error flash. the plug from the non memory seat will plug into the new memory seats but you need to add a twisted pair yellow green and connect it to the existing loom under the dash where it connects to the ecu.

apart from that it should be a strait swap. look at he electrical ccts for the seat plugs to the body loom.

if you fit memory seats you can also add memory mirrors, usfull for dipping them when reverse is selected.

Old 06-10-2018, 02:06 PM

Thank you both for replying.

Let's imagine I'm clueless... Because it's true.
What passenger seat sensor?
Twisted yellow and green. So run two wires from the twisted yellow and green on the new grey plug on the memory seat? And to where?

Do you have any pictures?

Old 06-11-2018, 02:22 AM
Veteran Member

Read the links and the links in the links. Descriptions, pics, wiring diagrams are all there.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey
Read the links and the links in the links. Descriptions, pics, wiring diagrams are all there.

Hi Del,

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...estion-199056/ This link says to wire the striped fat orange from the large black loom plug to the small grey loom plug and the same with the earth black. and wiring via schematic 11.1. ok.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-xtype-194057/ I don't see anything in this thread that will be more useful.

I'm still trying to cover this..
(twisted yellow green) from the climate control unit to the grey plug)

The climate control, is it a module hidden in the car or the part in the centre dash? I was in the centre the other day, didn't see a twisted yellow green.
Where on the grey plug am I wiring this?

Old 06-11-2018, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member

Climate control (little different look for Nav non-Nav) is the center consol, yes.

Did you look at the wiring pdf in astromorg's post?

Old 06-11-2018, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Old 06-11-2018, 06:31 PM

Hi Dell,

I have the none nav unit (second picture) I did look at the wiring diagram 11.1 for the seat.

Why does the memory seat need wiring to the climate control? I don't see what the two have to do with each other. Unless this is just for a permanent 12v sourcesource, Like a stereo memory.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member

Because of the seat warmers

Old 06-12-2018, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey
Because of the seat warmers
Oh ok I thought it was saying it needed this wiring to get the memory to work.
My original seat had everything except the memory buttons, does this wiring still need doing this way?

Old 06-12-2018, 06:59 AM

the twisted yellow green are the signal bus for the modules in the car, the car signals to the seat module when the car is moving so the seats can't be moved and to also sound the tone when setting the memory positions, and to turn on mirror heaters if mem mirrors fitted.

Old 06-12-2018, 03:30 PM

Hello,

OK, more help required.

I have a 2004 car and trying to fit a memory seat from a 2005 car, but the grey plug is some what more substantial than the attached diagrams in the links.

Seat I'm trying to fit:

Old 02-07-2020, 01:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,
I understand that this was posted nearly 5 years ago, but do you have any more detailed info which wires from the grey plug need to be connected where in order for seat to be working please? I connected the seat and it doesn't work at all. Compared two black plugs and my original one has extra wire in the corner and its a thick orange/green wire, but in the seat there is no connection in the socket in that place, so maybe this one needs to go to grey plug? But grey plug has 12 wires in it, so they must be there for a reason...any help will be much appreciated.

Old 02-07-2020, 03:41 AM
Default Memory drivers seat

Sorry I can't help as I went no further on this subject. Unfortunately the car started giving real problems with limp mode so had to go.
Will be looking out for another.
Regards

Old 03-25-2021, 09:48 AM

I know this was a long time ago but I've got a facelift 2008 which has standard half leather seats and I was going to buy some full leather memory seats from a sport premium tomorrow and just wondered if you know how easy this is to swap over, or if I'm in for a game and a half of re-wiring, my car has climate control but not the sat nav version, any advice or help would be greatly appreciated, the sport premium seats are from a 2008-2009 model too I believe

Old 03-25-2021, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by x_type_lpg
you need to keep the passenger seat sensor from the old set and replace the one on the memory seat. they are coded to a range of vin n umbers so unless you are very lucky you end up with a srs error flash. the plug from the non memory seat will plug into the new memory seats but you need to add a twisted pair yellow green and connect it to the existing loom under the dash where it connects to the ecu.

apart from that it should be a strait swap. look at he electrical ccts for the seat plugs to the body loom.

if you fit memory seats you can also add memory mirrors, usfull for dipping them when reverse is selected.

I know this was a long time ago but I've got a facelift 2008 which has standard half leather seats and I was going to buy some full leather memory seats from a sport premium tomorrow and just wondered if you know how easy this is to swap over, or if I'm in for a game and a half of re-wiring, my car has climate control but not the sat nav version, any advice or help would be greatly appreciated, the sport premium seats are from a 2008-2009 model too I believe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: replace non memory drivers seat with memory seat.