X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing headlight bulbs in my X Type

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing headlight bulbs in my X Type

This is my 26th car I have owned ranging from a 2CV to a Mercedes 320 coupe, but this was by far the most fiddly, and just to change all the headlight bulbs for brighter ones took me 2 hours, and sustained many cuts on the back of my rather large hands. Just hope they last a very long time.
I also wanted to replace the side light bulbs for neons, but could not figure out how to extract the holder out of the reflector and as for the front indicators, they are so inaccessible it would be easier to train a fish to read latin than to change these.
If any of you have had similar experience or have changed the indicator or side light bulbs in your X type please reply, many thanks, Reggie

Old 03-31-2010, 03:10 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Reggie, for the side marker lights, what I do is take a large flat bladed screw driver and put masking tape over the end (so I don't scratch the paint). I place the flat part against the flat end of the side marker light and then I push the light sideways towards the pointy end of the light. It will move about 1/4". From there, you can pull out on the flat end of the marker light (towards you). This will get you beyond the hook on this end of the figure. Once you get it free from the car, you can see the back of the bulb base. Give it a 90 degree turn and the bulb should be able to be accessed. Pop out the bulb, put your new one in and reverse the process. The only difference is when installing, you can put the hook end of light into the hole and then slide the metal clip end into place to lock it in.

As for the marker lights in the high beam housing, that can be a tricky thing to get out. It is only held in place by friction. So, a little bit of twisting and pulling (at the same time) is needed to get the bulb out.