X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing key - X Type 2004

Old 04-10-2015, 02:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fresno
I recently purchased a 2003 X Type car that came with 1 key, However I wanted to get a replacement key with remote. I went to the dealer Nielo Jauguar In Sacramento and was quoted $480.00 for the KEY, FOB, and Reprogramming.

Breakdown:
Key Cut $25.00
Reprogramming $240
Key Part and Remote $295

After the conversation I said I would think about it. I went online and after inquiring numerous places here is what I did:

I bought a Key and Remote (1 Unit) for $95.00 from Remotes.inc shipping was quick

eBay My World - remotes.inc

I then I called the list of approved Locksmiths and found that

Key Smart in Roseville (locksmith) to have the best prices $99.00 out the door for the Cut and reprogramming

Final Price for peace of mind and a New Set of Key with Remote $295.00 half the price of the dealer.
After 2 years my FOB failed going to see Key Smart Today to see what they say
Remotes dont work but the car starts fine.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would this work if one of the 2 keys is a valet key? I have 1 good key and 1 valet key. Can I make another key from that combo?

Old 05-23-2015, 06:41 PM
Default I don't know if the US cars are the same as the UK but if you have 2 keys for your X

Originally Posted by faltwen
I don't know if the US cars are the same as the UK but if you have 2 keys for your X Type that will both start the car then you can program a 3rd yourself. It's the same method as the Ford mondeo MK3 (UK) and I know it works as I have done it myself on the X Type and I now have 3 working keys. If I lose one then I still have 2 and do not have to pay silly money for a spare.
The method is as follows:-

Insert the first already programmed key into the ignition and turn to position II
Turn back to 0 and remove the key
Insert the second already programmed key into the ignition and turn to position II
Key programming mode is now activated and you have ten seconds to:
Insert the unprogrammed new key into the ignition and turn to position II
Allow 10 seconds to pass for the system to exit programming mode.

I know this does not help if you only have 1 key but if you have 2 then it really is an asset.
Thanks for the info !! Would this work if one of the 1st 2 keys is a valet key? I have 1 regular key and 1 valet key. Thanks.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:20 PM
Received 7,861 Likes on 4,752 Posts

If the keys are of the 3 original keys configured to the car with dealer level software (not one configured using the '2 key method') then they will work to configure a 3rd (actually a 4th because you lost the third??) key.

Get a key cut and insert the first 2 (original) keys and then the 3rd.

If you configured a key to the car using the 2 key method THAT KEY can NEVER be used as part of the ORIGINAL 2 KEYS!!!! Only original or software configured keys can be used for configuring more keys. I believe you can have up to 5 keys configured to the car.

bob gauff

The following users liked this post:
Lcgi (10-09-2015)
Old 10-09-2015, 09:48 AM

Just joined the forum, and in reference to this thread, need a new key set for a just purchased 2005 x type. I was wondering if you still are offering the fob portion for $75? Haven't been able to find anyone local to me, not even the dealers, to cut a jaguar key blank. So it looks as though i'll have to order a new key section from the dealer at $210. Hoping your still offering the fob section.

Old 03-12-2016, 12:31 AM

You may consult,LAKE ZURICH LOCKSMITHS.They can make replaced keys for all jaguar models. These locksmiths offer keys cutting and lock repair for all types Jaguar vehicles and cars (all models and makes) 24 hours a day and 7 days per week for any sort of emergency such as lost car keys, need a new ignition key, ignition key cutting, door unlocking or car key replacement.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Deeandy
Hello guys,

Thanks for reading my post.

I am looking for advice of the most cost effective way to replace my X Type 2004 key. The dealership has quoted 500 dollars for 2 new keys and labor. I would need to tow the car to the dealership as well. The local locksmith hasn't given a definite price, he would have to come look at it for $15 and the cost of a new key would be $90 and up.

Thanks again

You can get replacement of your car keys by taking help from an auto Locksmith. You just have to provide all the information about your car and they will help you.Make and model of your vehicle. Registration number of your vehicle. Vehicle identification number. Personal identification.Postcode of where you are...

Old 04-05-2016, 12:49 AM

I believe you need two working keys in order to program them yourself. Some guys will keep 3 programmed keys just in case they loose one. That way they still have 2 working keys and can get a new one and program the new one themselves. I am actually looking for a 3rd one now. I have always only had 1 key ever since I bought the Jeep.But sometime problem occur i think you must contact Locksmith boca raton FL for any query because they are best locksmiths in the area.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:57 AM

I have just bought a Jaguar, the key fob needs refurbishment and ideally I'd like a spare. The only place I've found near me is Croydon BMW they won't refurb the fob I have, and want to charge me £126 for one key, plus 1/2 hr programming time! Then i contact Locksmith Coral Springs and they provide me awesome service.