X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Restore Engine Treatment

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 05:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Restore Engine Treatment

Has anyone used this in their X-Types? It says it will improve compression & reduce oil consumption. What do you guys think?

Old 07-23-2010, 09:06 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gotti15
Has anyone used this in their X-Types? It says it will improve compression & reduce oil consumption. What do you guys think?
Dont even think about touching that crap.
go to bobistheoilguy.com for best oil advice.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:54 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Gotti, if you are having to use that stuff, then your engine is on its last legs and you are only delaying the inevitable. Not to mention, you will probably find out that most mechanics will be cussing your name for using a product like that when they have to go in and rebuild the motor.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:32 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

The car will fall apart around the engine before you need a new one with normal service. If you think you need it you have a different issue. If it is only using some oil then try thicker oil or a autorex flush.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:30 PM

LOL! Thanks for the warning guys! I'll be definitely staying away from that stuff!

Old 07-26-2010, 10:09 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

yeah thats funny cause I have gotten great results for engine restore for years. Have used it in cars with low compression and ALWAYS improved compression. And have recommended it many times here because of personal use as well as recommending to people with nikasil issues on their engines....Whats cheaper, engine rebuild costing thousands. or useing a $10 bottle of engine restore with each oil change per directions??????....Now if you dont have a compression or oil consumption issue then the use is really mute......

Old 07-27-2010, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

The only thing I have used for my engine is a bottle of chevron techron which is supposed to clean out your fuel system after one or two treatments. I must say it has gained me a whole MPG.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In general it's best not to use any product that's designed to CLOG in any system that's designed to FLOW. But I've never seen any issue with engine restore as that's not exactly what it's designed to do.
Years ago I worked in an engine rebuild shop and developed a hate for radiator stop leaks. Specifically the powdered ones. Almost every engine we got that had failed early had this crap clogged around the water jackets near the cylinder bores and it clogged the water passages everywhere it could. This of course reduced the flow of coolant in the engine and was a major cause of overheating. It's just better to fix your cooling system and avoid stop leak products if possible. I think this same thinking is applied to the engine restore type products but isn't relevant in all cases.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
yeah thats funny cause I have gotten great results for engine restore for years. Have used it in cars with low compression and ALWAYS improved compression. And have recommended it many times here because of personal use as well as recommending to people with nikasil issues on their engines....Whats cheaper, engine rebuild costing thousands. or useing a $10 bottle of engine restore with each oil change per directions??????....Now if you dont have a compression or oil consumption issue then the use is really mute......
I'd have to agree. I'm not a mechanic myself, but a friend of mine was a master mechanic for 30 years before he passed away and that's the one thing he told me to do (engine restore with oil change). This surprised me the first time he told me to use it, because he was always a no short-cuts type of mechanic. He would always tell me, "There's no f'ing miracle in a bottle. Fix it right the first time!". But for whatever reason he stood behind his belief in using the engine restore. I trusted him when he was alive and still do.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

Just like on any forum, These engine restore bottles are super controvercial lol Has anyone tried the chevron techron cleaner that I previously mentioned?