X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

retro fit sat nav screen

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation retro fit sat nav screen

hi i am a new member ihave a x type and I want to fit the denso sat nav screen I have the oringnal jag radio cd in atm theres only 2 plugs on the sat nav head unit but theres 4 or 5 plugs on the original can anyone be kind enough to give me some pointers of how to fit the sat nav head unit

Old 11-04-2016, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

I have read on this site that someone had done it, but it was not an easy retrofit. Do a search here.

Old 11-04-2016, 04:34 PM

thanks higeorge I will see if I can find it

Old 11-05-2016, 11:03 AM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Get on to Mark Burton in Leeds, he is the resident X type breaker & has all the parts & the knowhow!! - https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...826828&fref=ts
The UK site has a how to - X-Type (X400) 2001 - 2009

Old 11-05-2016, 05:08 PM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default satnav

first thing to check is if you have climate control ( single knob and lcd screen on heater control) or manual heater control. if you have three knobs on the top row then its a non starter, can be done but a very big job.

Assuming you have the single knob and lcd display then you will need an RCCM module this takes the two plugs from the current climate control. you will also need the DVD drive to fit in the boot and the cage to hold it. you will need the gps aerial that fits under rear parcel shelf. you will need a loom to go from the boot area ( dvd drive) to the head unit,

remove the radio and climate control unit and plug in the radio plug to the new touch screen unit fit the plug from the new loom to the back of the head unit. plug the lead from the new loom to the connector under the rear seat.

switch on and enter new code for the touch screen unit, insert dvd into dvd drive in the boot and wait for it to boot.

I have the full setup available but the cost of shipping would make it uneconomical to ship to the states.

Old 11-05-2016, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

its been done, its not an easy thing to do. personally i would go completely after market. the system is outdated and sucks.

Old 11-05-2016, 06:45 PM
Received 6,252 Likes on 5,452 Posts

Originally Posted by x_type_lpg
I have the full setup available but the cost of shipping would make it uneconomical to ship to the states.
Maybe not so bad to Manchester?

Old 11-06-2016, 07:25 AM

hi EuanT how can I get in touch with Mark Burton as I don't use facebook is there another way of contacting him and many thanks for the info

Old 11-07-2016, 05:24 AM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

He is on the other forum, you can PM him as bertieboy9 or E mail - xtypeman@outlook.com
X-Type (X400) 2001 - 2009 This forum is UK based, but both are good for info!!

Last edited by euanT; 11-07-2016 at 05:27 AM.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,056 Likes on 2,031 Posts

I've done it to 2 cars. It's not simple though. You'll need the screen, DVD player in the trunk, GPS antenna, remote climate control module, radio, appropriate fiber optic harness, map DVD disc, new trunk liner if you don't already have the larger one to accommodate the DVD drive, and you will have to fabricate a wiring harness to go from the trunk components to the screen, radio and the various computer networks.

3 different types of computer networks run through the various components, and all of the connections must be done correctly and in the correct sequence or nothing will work. That includes the entire car, I had one network connection done incorrectly and the car wouldn't start.

Your car must already have automatic climate control (where you can set a desired temperature), and not the rotary dial climate control where the setting is just hot to cold. You must be a able to set a specific temperature, eg. 20.5 C, the system will not work with a manual climate control system.

You will need the electrical guide, and understanding the diagrams and how to interpret them is mandatory. As a minimum, you need the Navigation System, Standard Corporate Protocol, Serial Data Link, D2B Network, Controller Area Network, and In-Car Entertainment drawings. You will need to build a wiring harness to connect everything in a way that isn't shown on the diagrams.

You'll have to determine what needs to be connected and make the appropriate harness, as there isn't a factory harness you can replicate. It's basically a case of understanding the drawing and figuring out what isn't there but should be; and then building that. It's also an "all or nothing" conversion, you can't go partway, say by just putting in the screen.

It can be done, but it's about as far from plug and play as you can get.

Last edited by Jagboi64; 11-07-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:01 AM

many thanks jagboi64 for the info its making me think twice now but I have the old manual system with the dials for heating controls and don't have the full sat nav system so maybe until I have all the parts I may have to put it on hold but thanks again

Old 11-14-2016, 01:02 AM

thanks Euan T for the info I will try and contact him and see what he says and take it from there

Old 11-14-2016, 02:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,056 Likes on 2,031 Posts

Originally Posted by franjag
many thanks jagboi64 for the info its making me think twice now but I have the old manual system with the dials for heating controls and don't have the full sat nav system so maybe until I have all the parts I may have to put it on hold but thanks again
Honestly, with X Type values the way they are it's cheaper and easier to just buy a car in the spec you want and sell yours.