X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Several issues with 2003 X-Type 2.5 5 speed manual

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Several issues with 2003 X-Type 2.5 5 speed manual

I just purchased a 2004 Jaguar X-type with a 5 speed manual today. Has almost 112000 miles and has several problems with various items that may or may not be an easy fix. I joined this forum to hopefully find some people with answers.

1) Heated seats do not heat up. The lights come on when you push the button but they never heat up.

2) Cruise control does not work. Push the buttons but nothing happens.

3) Probably the most irritating is the radio won't respond. It is stuck on a sports radio station, you can turn it up and down, clock works (although 15 minutes fast) but you can push buttons and nothing will happen. Can't change station, can't do anything. It will not respond to anything but on and off, and volume, but only volume on the radio itself none of the controls on the steering wheel do anything.

Anyone that may have ran into any of these problems and have an idea on what I might do to fix them would be appreciated. Only paid $2700 for the car and it seems to run good (although I changed the dirty oil and the air cleaner which looks like it had never been changed) and it is fun to drive but would love to hear something other than sports radio. And I miss using cruise and getting some heat on my butt (my Ridgeline has both and it is nice).

I'm new to the Jag world, just sold my 85 Corvette to buy this, hope I didn't make a mistake.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:41 PM

It is a 2003, not an 04... not sure why I put that.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:51 PM
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Nothing to do with the radio or seats. Change the transfer case fluid.
You will like the 03 in the snow more than an 04. They changed transfer
cases in 04.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Welcome to the forums, Hugh. You have come to the right place. A lot of friendly and helpful people on here.

Do you have any lights on the dash? Or a message showing "cruise not available"? If so, please get the codes read and post here and someone will be able to help diagnose. For the cruise usually it is related to the wheel speed sensor or wiring. If you do a search on here there is a lot of info related to that. And also search about the seat heaters. There are occasional posts about that, but no specific cause I recall.

As for the radio, I can't say I ever remember anyone talking about an issues similar to yours.

Good luck and hope you enjoy your cars for years to come. I'm sure before too long you will be able to get your issues sorted.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:45 AM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

1) Check fuses and under seat connectors.
2) Do you know where the cruise on/off switch is? On side of hub behind cruise switches.
3) Pull fuse for radio and give it a "respite" for a while. Make sure you have radio code number if your radio has a code.

Have a good look at your lower A pillars and sills under front doors for rusting. These cars have a fatal rusting problem there that is not very obvious.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:11 PM

Yes, I saw the on/off switch on the cruise, it didn't do anything.

Not sure what you mean by a "respite" but I did disconnect the battery on the car for over an hour to try and reset things. I don't have a code for the radio but it did not ask for one (although I left the key in the ignition which I heard did something). All I accomplished was the radio changing channels and nothing more, none of the buttons work nor does the wheel controls. I am leaning toward aftermarket radio now.

I have not gotten under the seats yet but keep reading about broken wires under the seat, which I hope is the problem as it seems the easiest fix. Will update when I get the opportunity to get under there to look.

And yes, I do have rust on the A pillars. Didn't seem that bad when I first looked at it but it is pretty rough, although I hope to do some repairs to it this spring with a welder friend I have. I only paid $2700 for the car so I am not too worried about losing a bunch of money on it. With only 112K on it, and being a rare 5-speed, I think I can make a few repairs and get my money back and possibly make a profit with it. Although at this point I have no interest in selling.

I should state that I test drove an automatic X-type about a year ago, can't remember what year it was, but I really didn't like it. It rode like a log wagon and made a bunch of noise, and this one was nearly mint condition. This one that I got is super quiet, makes no noise and rides like a dream. I really love driving this car. Not sure if it was a year difference or if the other car had issues that couldn't be seen, but these Jags are kind of hit and miss.

Hope to get this one back in shape within the next 6 months, may be my daily driver for some time to come.