X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shaky steering and blue fluid

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 07:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shaky steering and blue fluid

I was leaving my parking lot and hit a patch of ice. the yellow light flash(im assuming TC kicked in) No biggie though it was a split second. Then I get up to about 40-45 and the car start shaking violently. I could feel it in the steering but it was the entire car shaking real bad. I get to where i was going in 4mi. I come out 2hrs later(saw I am legend) and drive again and the problem is completely gone. I do notice that the car feels like its pulling forward and the steering feels heavy. wake up this morning and someone points out that ive leaked blue fluid last night. By logic Ive figured out that it was washer fliud. it was directly under the passenger wheel and it wasnt frozen(which i assume its designed to be like that).

My question is has this ever happened to anyone else and are the two things linked together somehow, I cant see how they could but i still had to put it out there

Old 12-17-2007, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: shaky steering and blue fluid

Hmmm thats strange. Can't say I've heard of thsoe kinds of problems before....

Old 12-17-2007, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

"saw I am legend" he means he went to the movie theater to watch the movie "I am legend"

Yeah the shaking associated with tires or mud stuck to the rims is really bad if that was how bad it was shaking I would have stopped! We used to get it in our semi's when we would pull off into yards to deliver building materials and we'd get mud caked on the inside of our rims that would have us bouncing down the road almost...man those were the days...Here are my rims caked in snow after my bottoming out on snow incident!

[IMG]local://upfiles/674/12D8FAF1E5A24600BF91F31A5CF127F5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/674/AF94E81206EF4E07A0F409706FF2EFD1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/674/EB41F0B37AE6495EB3CD52AF7B6AC71F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-17-2007, 03:48 PM

hey,

it started snowing a lot up here in massachusetts. this is my first winter with the X-type. i noticed that my car starts shaking/trembling when i get on the highway. i suspect that it is because there is ice/snow around the tires and in the wheels themselves.

also, one annoying thing... my windshield washer/icemelt liquid doesn't work when i need it. either because the snow/ice builds rightin over the nozzles where the liquid squirts out, or maybe the liquid itself freezes? i was always under the impression that the liquid was designed/formulated to withstand these temperatures. not sure. next time it snows, i'm going to leave two styrofoam or plastic cups right on top of the two nozzles, then remove them in the morning when i drive. that'll be a good way to find out if they don't work because the liquid freezes or if the nozzles are blocked by ice (and maybe i just can't see it).

anyway, you sound like you're havingsimilar issues as me.

-happy

Old 12-17-2007, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member

Happulite actually I'm pretty sure that some x's have warmed washer nozzles or have warmers or something like that...mine haven't had a problem and I've used them a few times now in this cold weather...fortunately for me! I'm not sure if mine have them or not though...

Old 12-18-2007, 07:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

use 0 or below -0 temo washer fluid, or put about a cap full of rubbing alcohol. rain x makes a great one, Bill

Old 12-18-2007, 12:22 PM

dumbass??? thats a pretty strong word to desribe me but if you say so. (a lil foolish maybe)
I have an 04 sport 50k mi
we had maybe an inch of snow that mostly melted and left ice patches that morning. when i turned out of the parking lot i was doing about 10-15mph and i saw the light flash. on the main road it didnt shake so i had no reason to assume that anything was under there. I honestly thought it was a low tire, which I do have one that occasionally have to put air into which gives a minor shake but nothing like this. I asked the question here because the next morning I saw the fluid. i looked and found that it was washer fluid because it was on the ground under and around the passenger side wheel. I didnt know if this could be just a non related coincidence. I also looked at the tank and saw that there was fluid it was up to the neck of the tank. at 1st im guessing that it froze overnight and leaked out, But i didnt see any signs of overflow and the cap was still tight. I dont think it could have come a leak in bottom of the tank because no more has gotten out since then.

that pulling foward thing is hard to describe. its like something holding it back and the car is straining to pull forward. thats the best i can describe it. I dont think i have headlamp washers. Isnt usually a nozzle or something in front of the headlamp? thanks for the input i hope this helps a bit.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member

The yellow light will flash to let you know its slippery out and that your tires are spinning...as far as name calling from bo its just something you have to come to expect...he holds nothing back...keep in mind he's Canadian so arrogance is somewhat a given!

Old 12-18-2007, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member

I don't expect to hear too much positive from you anymore...I'm done responding...

Old 12-19-2007, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah but you talk around on here like we are all idiots...I don't get it and than you talk about calling us great if were great...well you rag on all of us so what does that mean?

Old 12-19-2007, 07:50 PM

Its cool I understand i knew what you were trying to say. It just was a little strong being that im a new guy here. No offense taken. I didnt pull over because 1. It wasnt snow i know that for a fact. 2. It was dark so the odds of me seeing something under the wheel in the dark is slim to none. I guess i shouldve mentioned that when i got to the parking lot(at the movies) I did a quick look(had my nice clothes on couldnt lay on the ground) I saw nothing. I also saw that nothing was on the ground when I left to go back home. So i figured hmm tire acting up. but i was surprised when i drove home that the problem went anyway. And upon inspection this morning most of my washer fluid is gone. Since its plastic im guessing i have to replace it since i doubt it can be patched up. I just hope its a DIY fix. I also saw today that i have a bubble in rear tire...

Old 12-19-2007, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  7.4 KB

Dumbass is a bit strong for anyone let alone a newbie (ish)
To be fair though, I guess if that happened to me I'd stop straight away and find out what was wrong. I'd probably tell you that too but maybe in a different way
Cougar.........get that tyre replaced ASAP buddy.......if its in the tyre side wall its a goner.

Good luck bud

Jim

Old 12-19-2007, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah don't want that bad tire turning into bad rim and tire! Keep in mind though that the tires are supposed to be replaced with the same or really close tread...discount tire wouldn't even touch my car with a newer tire because of my awd...did you hear what I was saying about the yellow lights coming on when its slippery and your getting tire spinning?

Old 12-20-2007, 10:32 AM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: bojangles

I dont name call.. i just react to the situation. If you are great.. I will call you great.
Hah, I like you!

Yeah, Coug, fill it up with some water and mark it off w/a pencil or something. If you have a garage, keep it in there for a night or two and see what happens before going about replacing and stuff.

The other guy w/the frozen fluid. The culprit could be the previous service. Shops like to put dilute washer fluid w/water to save money. While this method is generally acceptable if there isnt' a high amount of particulates in the water, and granted it being summer. In the winter, it freezes up. This can be a real pita to thaw out, been there done that.

Just get the fluid from a store. The FP is quite low on those, IIRC, some like Prestone boast -30F. Plus, they're like a buck at Wally world. Man, I despise that store and what is has done to our economic system, but you just can't beat their automotive product pricing.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member

Keep in mind you will never hear the word "great" about anything!

Old 12-21-2007, 02:34 PM

Thanks for the advice Im gonna fully investigate this this weekend. I seems like it was a fluke but you never know. Yea as of now i need 3 tires. Trust me if i had the money to get tires i would. Im usually on top my game when it comes to replacing things but money is lil tight right now. In the mean i reduced the air pressure to relieve the stress on the bubbles. They're small but like you guys said it still needs to be changed. Oh yea i caught what you said about the light it blinked to fast that i had to make sure i saw what i thought i saw.(getting old at an early age suck lol). I bet to idiots that changed my oil screwed something up with the washer tank. is possible that they put to much or that their fluid was watered down causing it to freeze that night? There still is about in inch and a half left in there..... if it is the tank anyone have a ballpark on the repair?

Quick Reply: shaky steering and blue fluid