Sponsored by:

Shifting again.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Shifting again.

Hello everyone !

I am once again concerned about my cars shifting. I have changed the transmission fluid multiple times, and I can NEVER replicate this when I test drive the car.

Sometimes (now 3 times in about 2 months) the car will shift hard from first to second. It's usually in stop and go traffic and it's when I am barely pressing the accelerator, letting go of the pedal and then softly hitting again to move forward. It's a hard shift. Maybe a jerk. Not that it slips in that the RMP's go up and the car won't go, but more like it jolts into second. I am hoping all it is is me hitting the accelerator at just the right time, but maybe there are some steps I should be taking to prevent a failure: changing solenoids maybe? Maybe a new TPS? Keep in in Sport mode or no? Should I start saving for a new transmission?.....usually the car is smooth and I can't feel it shifting no matter how many times I tried to duplicate the same scenario in a empty lot and different speeds. Any help welcome

Old 07-27-2017, 05:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

At least check the battery is excellent and then only if it is check fuel trims as a small air leak can cause mayhem.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
Hello everyone !

I am once again concerned about my cars shifting. I have changed the transmission fluid multiple times, and I can NEVER replicate this when I test drive the car.

Sometimes (now 3 times in about 2 months) the car will shift hard from first to second. It's usually in stop and go traffic and it's when I am barely pressing the accelerator, letting go of the pedal and then softly hitting again to move forward. It's a hard shift. Maybe a jerk. Not that it slips in that the RMP's go up and the car won't go, but more like it jolts into second. I am hoping all it is is me hitting the accelerator at just the right time, but maybe there are some steps I should be taking to prevent a failure: changing solenoids maybe? Maybe a new TPS? Keep in in Sport mode or no? Should I start saving for a new transmission?.....usually the car is smooth and I can't feel it shifting no matter how many times I tried to duplicate the same scenario in a empty lot and different speeds. Any help welcome
I am having the same problem. When shifting from 1 to 2 i feel something like a little jerk. This is my 2nd transmission in this car. I hope its not a bad sign.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
At least check the battery is excellent and then only if it is check fuel trims as a small air leak can cause mayhem.
yes. New battery and cables went in the first week after the car was delivered.

I have no lights on. My OBD2 reader shows my fuel pressure from 54-56. I am not sure how to check fuel trims though

Old 07-27-2017, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Namo
I am having the same problem. When shifting from 1 to 2 i feel something like a little jerk. This is my 2nd transmission in this car. I hope its not a bad sign.
I hope not. Is it always happening? I am leaning towards a new TPS/throttle body based on my experiences with my other X type, but that's a 600 dollar experiment.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope not. Is it always happening? I am leaning towards a new TPS/throttle body based on my experiences with my other X type, but that's a 600 dollar experiment.
It does not always happen, Checked it out and discovered my driver side shaft that goes into the gear box is a bit loose. Will need to change the shaft entirely and hope it solves it.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Namo
It does not always happen, Checked it out and discovered my driver side shaft that goes into the gear box is a bit loose. Will need to change the shaft entirely and hope it solves it.
I dont know that that would cause a hard shift though.

How hard is it to access the valve body, I wonder. I Maybe new solenoids ? If it's not cost prohibitive to replace the 1-2 and 2-3 solenoids I would like to have that done.

its such a pain to have to baby the accelerator to prevent a hard shift or a jolt

Last edited by Spikepaga; 07-27-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

yes. New battery and cables went in the first week after the car was delivered.

I have no lights on. My OBD2 reader shows my fuel pressure from 54-56. I am not sure how to check fuel trims though
Use the site's Search.

Or a web search if you want yet more detail.