X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slight problem xenon--please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default slight problem xenon--please help

Last night I installed xenon lights (35 watts) and it took me about 2 1/2 hours for both. Everything was perfect until I stoppen in front of the car after driving around my subdivision. Then I realized that there is a slight flicker with of the lights. It is only the low beam. The high beam ones are working normally same as the low beam before I but the xenon. Is there something wrong with the light bulbs or the balast boxes? Please, any insight or someone out there with the same problem?
Thanks,
Tony

P.S. I ordered 6000K and it looks to me as if he sent me 10 or 12 thousand. It is too blueish. How can I figure out what he sent me?? There are no numbers on the light bulbs.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:39 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Tony, from my experience, if you did not make a good connection on either the ground wire or the power wire, it can cause the HID (xenons) to flicker as the voltage is too low for them to maintain a good arc inside the bulb. So, double check your wiring for good connections and good grounds. Are both lights doing this or just one. If it is both, you may have a relay that is going out too and dropping too much voltage. If you are suspecting that, let me know and I will give you some measurements to take.

As for determining the temp rating of the bulbs, unless you have numbers on the bulbs, there is no way of telling short of looking at the light. Even then it is a ball park rating. The 6000K's should be a snow white light output with a blue halo around the edges. If you look at the bulbs and they appear to be burning blue all the way across the bulb, then you have 10,000K bulbs.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:08 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

When I installed mine they would do the flickering thing too when I first turned them on, then they would just work fine. Turned out my grounds were a little loose. Tightened those up and no more problems.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:26 PM

ok thanks guys I will check that

Old 04-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Default xenon light problem

Originally Posted by Thermo
Tony, from my experience, if you did not make a good connection on either the ground wire or the power wire, it can cause the HID (xenons) to flicker as the voltage is too low for them to maintain a good arc inside the bulb. So, double check your wiring for good connections and good grounds. Are both lights doing this or just one. If it is both, you may have a relay that is going out too and dropping too much voltage. If you are suspecting that, let me know and I will give you some measurements to take.

As for determining the temp rating of the bulbs, unless you have numbers on the bulbs, there is no way of telling short of looking at the light. Even then it is a ball park rating. The 6000K's should be a snow white light output with a blue halo around the edges. If you look at the bulbs and they appear to be burning blue all the way across the bulb, then you have 10,000K bulbs.

hi after all... my connection for the light bulbs was perfect. I reconnected again and it's still the same thing. By the way, they sent me another pair of light bulbs, they are slightly less bluish. I guess it' supposed to be 8000K. The first pair was with the blue rod, the second i recieved is with the greyish rod on the side of the light bulb. I guess the rod is supposed to be brown, but it looks like those guys don't know what they're doing. I mentioned that to them and they told me the color of the rod on the side doesn't mean anything, it can be any temperature. They suggest me to return those two boxes, and they will ship new ones to me, but still the light bulbs are less bright, more bluish. Does any code exist on the light bulb for the 6000K.
Thanks to everyone,
Tony

Old 04-12-2010, 05:47 PM

any idea