X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smash one tiny door mirror and everything breaks...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smash one tiny door mirror and everything breaks...

Hi guys

I have a problem with my 2006 X-Type 2.2D. A few months ago I accidentally drove into a heavy plastic bin that had no business being in the middle of the road. Unfortunately my passenger door mirror was obliterated. Being a third generation tight-*** I found a used X-Type door mirror on e-bay and popped it on. It wasn't a like-for-like replacement (the wiring loom was different and it didn't contain the same motors) but at least I could see what was behind me again. Hey presto, problem solved. Or maybe not...

I soon discovered the power fold-in function no longer worked. Nor could I adjust the mirror itself. I assumed this was because the mirror was from a different model X-Type and decided to live with it.

I have since discovered the electric memory seats no longer work (both driver and passenger). Nor do the seat heaters. I refuse to believe everything has died independently in the last two months. Indeed, all the relevant fuses are intact.

This leads me to believe the mirror and seat controls are somehow intrinsically linked and my cheap ebay door mirror is the spanner in the works.

My questions are thus:

1. If I buy a proper X-Type wing mirror, identical to the one that smashed - am I likely to regain function of the power mirrors and seats?

2. Is there any way I can bodge the wiring loom into thinking there is a proper mirror hanging off the door?

Any and all help very much appreciated.

Adam.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

To my knowledge, all side mirrors are electrically adjusted and heated, but there are three special features a side mirror may have:
•**powerfolding (if you have a fold-button near the mirror adjust controller)
•**electrochromatically dimming (if you have a dimming rear view mirror)
•**memory feature (mirror adjustment stored along with memory seat adjustment)

You have to find a mirror with the matching set of features to make the car happy again.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

I would suggest you also check the fuses for the various functions you are now missing.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:24 AM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

You definitely need to source a door mirror from a vehicle with the same set of options. Attempts to bodge the wiring to the incorrect mirror could be a trip to disaster.

The combination of [seat memory + seat heaters + power fold] functions failing together makes the seat module a suspect.

Graham

Old 08-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I know a couple of people who own motor body repair shops. With a bit of luck they may be able to source me the correct door mirror to try (in the hope they'll be able to send it back if this doesn't cure the problem). I'd like to think that connecting the correct door mirror will complete the necessary circuit, at which point everything else will fire into life. Either way, this is probably the best first step.

Reading back my original comments, the part about bodging the wiring loom sounds a little crass - I have no intention of hacking into the wiring loom in blind hope. I just thought I could perhaps rearrange the pins in the door mirror connector (behind the door card) to fool the system into thinking the correct mirror had been fitted. Probably best leavingthis well alone