X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(Snow) what's the best gear to drive in snow ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 08:17 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default (Snow) what's the best gear to drive in snow ?

The xtype is known for it's all wheel drive feature & it's great functionality in winter condition - so I have a ? For the vets that had a Jaguar Xtype for a while what's the best gear in driving in snow & what's your experience....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrz5ZFwuh28&sns=em

Old 01-03-2014, 01:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

A bit of a weird question I think, just like in summer, it depends on how fast you're moving. I think the most important thing in slippery conditions is to be responsible with the throttle.

Well, if you don't have winter tires, then starting off on 2nd may be a good idea to avoid wheel spin. Also, a higher gear means less-harsh engine braking which could at worst break traction when cornering.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:59 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine is automatic and I have snow tires. I leave it in drive, and sport mode. Sport mode in auto slows the car down for me so I do not have to brake when I let my foot off the gas.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:10 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds good to me, that's how I would do it.

Originally Posted by carcster
Mine is automatic and I have snow tires. I leave it in drive, and sport mode. Sport mode in auto slows the car down for me so I do not have to brake when I let my foot off the gas.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:00 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 2003 3.0 and leave mine in drive, but not in sport mode. I don't use snow tires.

I agree the key is to be responsible with the throttle.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

8 huskies, 1 sled and dressed up like an Eskimo.

Leave the car at home, it's safer.

The following users liked this post:
Aonsaithya (01-03-2014)
Old 01-03-2014, 02:20 PM
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

I've always found, that in inclement weather the best gear to be in is usually made of Sheepskin, maybe two pairs of woollen socks and I've always favoured a rabbit fur Ushanka (like a Soviet trappers hat) to be very warm..
I'm sorry, but I just couldn't resist..

Old 01-04-2014, 12:34 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

I am one of those that likes to play in the winter and in general, be the menace on the road. I am that "madman" that is leaving a light, puts the car sideways and drifts it down the road. Please keep in mind that I am normally doing this when no one else is around so incase I take things way too far, I am not taking out someone innocent. I do this mainly to see just how slippery the roads are so I know what I can and cannot do.

As for what gear to use, I say to leave it in DRIVE and be nice to the pedal and pay attention to what the car is telling you (wheels slipping, back end stepping out from under you, etc). If you are reaching a point where you are finding that taking off you are having traction issues, you can try 2 things:

1) place the car into "2" as this forces the car to start out in second gear and this will limit the amount of torque that gets transferred to the wheels and therefore, should help you maximize your traction.

2) ride the brake a little bit. What this does is when a wheel starts to slip, it will make the brakes get warm and put some drag on that wheel, slowing it back down. PUtting the drag on that wheel also forces the differential to shift the power over to the other wheels that are not slipping. As you get rolling, you ease up off of the brake and continue on. This is especially helpful if you find yourself where opposite corners of the car are on high spots.

Granted, I am also a big advocate of "if you don't need to be on the road, don't be". There are some people that have to be (I used to pick up nurses during inclimate weather so they could take care of people). But, with all the information that is out there, you know when the major storms are coming. Besides, I normally find that it is those that have no idea what they are doing that are the ones pushing people into the ditch and/or putting themselves into the ditch. Along those same lines, if you have never driven in the snow, you have to start at some point. But, for this, I recommend a nice big open parking lot and spin the car around. Learn how much the car can take and how to straighten out the car when it is sideways. The last thing you want is to get going, have the car get sideways on you, and then you lock up not knowing what to do. The general rule I use is you let off the gas, you let off the brake and steer the car where you want it to go. Very rarely will the use of gas and/or brake be helpful once the car is sliding in a direction other than straight ahead.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (04-17-2014)
Old 01-04-2014, 02:46 PM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

The other night when the storm came through the north east I had hockey tickets to see the blackhawks and islanders. Going there was no problem. Dry and no snow. We left at 930 after the game and the car handled beautiful. 2 1/2 hours there, 5 hours home.30 to 40 mph the whole way home. Having fun on a 4 lane highway...And my excuse if there was a cop.....the road is all ice sir!!! Great time had by all....Go Blackhawks!

Old 01-05-2014, 02:08 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I still say just leave it in sport mode, easy on the brakes and easy on take off. It is not really a fast car off the start so you should have no issues. I had a decent day today on the road with the snow. Regardless, with packed snow and ice...snow tires, traction...nothing helps. Just easy on the gas, slow down when you see a stale green light, and very slow when you make a turn.

My personal driving experience in snow has been in Iceland, Germany, Colorado, and several US states with snow. Brake and gas control is the most important of all....regardless of AWD, FWD, or RWD.

Also, if you are bored....take it out in a empty snow filled parking lot and figure out the physics of it. Nice way to spend some spare time. I am planning on teaching my son how to tackle snow and ice that way.