X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some long awaited updates

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 05:25 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up Some long awaited updates

I'm back (it's getting a habit, saying it every time)!

So, as some of you may remember, my 03' X was damaged rather unfortunately last summer. Since I live far north in one of the most auto-expensive countries in the world, there hasn't really been much progress, up until the last week or so.
I actually considered making the 2200 mile stretch to the U.K. to have it fixed there, but during planning, that seemed both time consuming, and very very unpredictable in terms of cost. Anything from $2000 (buying a dirt cheap car with blown engine), where I'd have all the parts, and simply pay for hours of work, up to double of that with used parts or even new ones. Needless to say, nothing came of it.

Last week, a black '02 X 2.5L with a blown engine (torn timing belt) showed up for a rather low sum. After some back and forth, I went for it, and will have it towed to my uncles garage down south. I'm pretty stoked, as I never thought I would get anything done. The plan is to fix as much as possible by myself.
I'm on Jeremy Clarkson-level when it comes to fixing things, and usually just manage to break stuff. But last night I received a new center console (with two cup holders, oh my god FINALLY) and managed to replace it myself. I completely forgot to take pictures in the process, but I'll capture some when I get home from vacation.
Although the center console is an easy replacement, it gave me renewed confidence, and I'll try at least the body parts my self.
I need to replace a lot in the rear suspension as well. I have had the characteristic squeak for a few months, and it have to be more than just the lower control arm, or the sway bar. The car have an uncomfortable wobble while cornering at higher speeds, so I guess the rear suspension is near giving up.
I have a few questions regarding the '02 X trim line. It's a 2.5L Sport Automatic. As far as I can see from the pictures, that includes factory HID, rear parking sensor and 17" rims (might be winter tires on that thing, haven't seen it in person yet). Anyone know of some specific details? And just for fun, I suppose my engine wouldn't fit easily in that car? I know the 2.1L never came with 4WD, and I bet the drivetrain mounts are different for that reason, or? Would be hysterical to be the only guy out there with a 2.1 4WD X-TYPE, for sure.